Inappropriate music in skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But still there is no male skater who become oly champion skating to that music, am I right? The door is open )

That wasn't my point, and it's almost certainly not yours, either.

Grin

Medalist
That wasn't my point, and it's almost certainly not yours, either.

I've just said that may be you are right. If you show me a decent lady's program to gladiator Ì'll agree with you completely.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Since many of you seem to hate Laurine's program, I have a Youtube commentary from PCS on it (I know he isn't the most popular commentator here, but that rant is hilarious) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh3o3fubDCo

And btw, I think the program itself wasn't so bad, just the lyrics were an issue...

Grin

Medalist
You know, may be Eteri was inspired by Gracie's SP at 2016 WC so much she decided to give 'big spender' program to one of her best students...

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I realized how inappropriate it is to skate to a song that goes, "I've been here before, but always hit the floor" when I saw Megan Wessenberg's FS at Nationals a few weeks ago.

She fell.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I realized how inappropriate it is to skate to a song that goes, "I've been here before, but always hit the floor" when I saw Megan Wessenberg's FS at Nationals a few weeks ago.

She fell.
Like C/T skating to Fallin' by Alicia Keys.... and falling.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As to the sexual standards there is a conflict of cultures in my opinion. Figure skating is an international sport with many cultures participating. And every culture has their own standards and nuances. Then how do we do on the international level? How do we define tolerance? By least restrictive, i.e. if something is OK in any participating culture then it must be accepted everywhere? Or the other way - the most restrictive? If something is offensive anywhere then it's not allowed everywhere else? Or the third option, which appears to be the one currently in place - enforcing the US standards all over.

For example - Zagitova's gala costume appears to be shocking to the American viewers, given the fact she is 15. I live in the US, so I am definitely infected by the US culture, so the costume is a bit odd to me too. However, I can see myself living back in Poland and then I would not be even capable of seeing any controversy. I would ask - what are the Americans talking about? And it appears there is no problem with it in Russia either.

As an American I love her EX and said as much in the Euro Gala thread which drew a mini discussion from those who felt it inappropriate. I found the program innovative but objection arose to her form fitting costume with cut-outs and the rolling around on the ice. To me, this was a matter of interpretation since I believe she was depicting a large jungle cat through movement. She is 15 and some people saw it differently. Her outfit was more covered than the average ladies competition dress IMO. Lambiel's "Red Cat" a few years back was an attempt at something similar but missed the mark really.
I found Liza's EX a couple of years ago to be rather explicit, the costume edgy but enjoyed it nonethelessless because she carried it well, her moves were exquisite..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwO542dGDH4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7pDaGOLdc

TallAdultSkater

Rinkside
I saw a kid skate to Summer of '69 dressed like a hippie. The song is NOT about the year. O dear. Another odd song choice is Hallelujah (the one from Shrek) the song is actually about battling drug addiction.

Manitou

Medalist
I saw a kid skate to Summer of '69 dressed like a hippie. The song is NOT about the year. O dear. Another odd song choice is Hallelujah (the one from Shrek) the song is actually about battling drug addiction.

If it's good for Shrek then it's good for kids. In fact, I never knew it was about any drugs. Unless every song is about drugs. It is just a piece of wonderful poetry by Cohen.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If it's good for Shrek then it's good for kids. In fact, I never knew it was about any drugs. Unless every song is about drugs. It is just a piece of wonderful poetry by Cohen.

Hallelujah is not about drugs from what I know. It's about the failure of a relationship.

"Cohen's lyrical poetry and his view that "many different hallelujahs exist" is reflected in wide-ranging covers with very different intents or tones, allowing the song to be "melancholic, fragile, uplifting [or] joyous" depending on the performer:[6] The Welsh singer-songwriter John Cale, the first person to record a cover version of the song (in 1991), promoted a message of "soberness and sincerity" in contrast to Cohen's dispassionate tone;[6] the cover by Jeff Buckley, an American singer-songwriter, is more sorrowful and was described by Buckley as "a hallelujah to the orgasm";[6][9] Crowe interpreted the song as a "very sexual" composition that discussed relationships;[6] Wainwright offered a "purifying and almost liturgical" interpretation;[6] and Guy Garvey of the British band Elbow made the hallelujah a "stately creature" and incorporated his religious interpretation of the song into his band's recordings.[6]

Canadian singer k.d. lang said in an interview shortly after Cohen's death that she considered the song to be about "the struggle between having human desire and searching for spiritual wisdom. It's being caught between those two places."[10] Former Barenaked Ladies frontman Steven Page, who sang the song at Canadian politician Jack Layton's funeral, described the song as being "about disappointing [other] people"

TallAdultSkater

Rinkside
It's not a song I would personally skate to. It's not really "inappropriate", just a curious choice. The Shrek version is one verse. The original 1984 or (most of the cover versions) have lyrics up for interpretation, and one interpretation is helping someone recover from drug abuse. Some say it's a song with serious sexual undertones (I don't hear that) or it's, all religious quotes. The song In the Arms of The Angel is definitely about a friend dying from a heroin overdose, the songwriter said so, and I've seen people skate to that. I'm sure there's way more inappropriate "dirty" songs people could pick.

Manitou

Medalist
Hallelujah is not about drugs from what I know. It's about the failure of a relationship.

"Cohen's lyrical poetry and his view that "many different hallelujahs exist" is reflected in wide-ranging covers with very different intents or tones, allowing the song to be "melancholic, fragile, uplifting [or] joyous" depending on the performer:[6] The Welsh singer-songwriter John Cale, the first person to record a cover version of the song (in 1991), promoted a message of "soberness and sincerity" in contrast to Cohen's dispassionate tone;[6] the cover by Jeff Buckley, an American singer-songwriter, is more sorrowful and was described by Buckley as "a hallelujah to the orgasm";[6][9] Crowe interpreted the song as a "very sexual" composition that discussed relationships;[6] Wainwright offered a "purifying and almost liturgical" interpretation;[6] and Guy Garvey of the British band Elbow made the hallelujah a "stately creature" and incorporated his religious interpretation of the song into his band's recordings.[6]

Canadian singer k.d. lang said in an interview shortly after Cohen's death that she considered the song to be about "the struggle between having human desire and searching for spiritual wisdom. It's being caught between those two places."[10] Former Barenaked Ladies frontman Steven Page, who sang the song at Canadian politician Jack Layton's funeral, described the song as being "about disappointing [other] people"

The poetry does not have one single defined interpretation, but opens ways to many interpretations, depending on the reader. In fact, poetry is never a technical manual with clear instructions. Sometimes it does not even have any interpretations at all. It just is.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's not a song I would personally skate to. It's not really "inappropriate", just a curious choice. The Shrek version is one verse. The original 1984 or (most of the cover versions) have lyrics up for interpretation, and one interpretation is helping someone recover from drug abuse. Some say it's a song with serious sexual undertones (I don't hear that) or it's, all religious quotes. The song In the Arms of The Angel is definitely about a friend dying from a heroin overdose, the songwriter said so, and I've seen people skate to that. I'm sure there's way more inappropriate "dirty" songs people could pick.

You mean the song that's simply titled "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan?

Manitou

Medalist

Obviously they would not include an image of a bathing woman in a kid movie.

The song is a gospel. It speaks differently to everyone. If someone wants to use for a drug related theme then the song is as good as for everything else.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The poetry does not have one single defined interpretation, but opens ways to many interpretations, depending on the reader. In fact, poetry is never a technical manual with clear instructions. Sometimes it does not even have any interpretations at all. It just is.

I think there are.. something like over a hundred stanzas all together. It could be about anything. But I've never thought it was about drugs.

Walking on the Sun which is also in the Shrek movie I believe does have several references to pot smoking.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think there are.. something like over a hundred stanzas all together. It could be about anything. But I've never thought it was about drugs.

Walking on the Sun which is also in the Shrek movie I believe does have several references to pot smoking.
No..see I'm wrong here it's All-Star.