Inappropriate music in skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

pearly

Record Breaker
If someone bring music with nasty lyrics in... you know... out there... will they get deduction?

I think there's something about the music and lyrics needing to be dignified and appropriate. It was stated for sure for last year's hip hop short dance. I can't find that document and wording right now, but I'll add to the post once I do.

General rules about music should be in ISU handbooks. I'll also post links as I find them.

---

Here's what ISU requirements for 2016/17 ice dance said regarding hip hop:

Note: To comply with the ethical values of sports, Hip-Hop music chosen for Ice Dance
competitions must not include aggressive and/or offending lyrics.

http://www.isu.org/communications/455-isu-communication-1998/file (page 3)

Last edited:

Grin

Medalist
I get that the Russians don't really have an understanding of "tackiness" and something being too "on the nose," but this was still egregious.

Speaking of tackiness. That was quite offensive. Btw, Averbukh is of Jewish origin.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one time I felt religious music was inappropriate was Team USA's ex at WTT2015. They had chosen "Ave Maria" which as far as I know is a Christian song, in the full knowledge they had at least two Jewish skaters on the team.

(In 2013 they did "New York New York" which was much more fun and appropriate.)

I'm Jewish, and hearing "Ave Maria" doesn't offend me @ all. IMHO, it's a beautiful piece of music. Of course, I can't go into Max & Jason's minds to find out what they think of it (somehow, I bet they're OK with it, though).

Manitou

Medalist
She knew it was about a tragedy. Averbukh told her it was a program representing all the tragedy in the world (Evgenia mentioned this in an interview). So once again, it comes back to Averbukh.

The stupidest part about that program was that it was a lovely program and perfectly beautiful without the voiceovers. The music and the expression would have told the story. It's really an insult to Evgenia's talent that Averbukh thought we needed to beaten over the head with it.

Surprisingly I agree with you..

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But still there is no male skater who become oly champion skating to that music, am I right? The door is open )

Does Sergei Grinkov count? He and Katia’s 1988 SP had a section of Les Toreadores, which is from Carmen.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I liked Evgenia's 9-11 program, minus the vocals. It was too much and unnecesary.

I don't blame Evgenia. She is young and spends so much time in training to be super aware about everything and to think of the implications. They probably told her "it's about tragedy and there's lots of tanos in it" and she "hmmkay, let's work hard". Her interpretation made it somewhat bearable, it was still crossing the line... but it didn't feel mocking.

Still... what was everybody thinking?

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
When i hear "ban" i just....bleah, it triggers my communism memories. Just NO!

It is one thing to want to protect minor skaters to be objectified by too sexual music and another thing to start to politic who has the right to dance to what music, which religious music is allowed to be danced and similar things.

Perhaps people just need to (re-)read "Fahrenheit 451".

Mentalopes

Rinkside
I find this topic so prudish. Let the skaters skate whatever they want. If they feel comfortable with, please don't judge.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I find this topic so prudish. Let the skaters skate whatever they want. If they feel comfortable with, please don't judge.

I fall on the side of.. opinions and reactions to and against music are fine. Trying to force skaters not to skate to certain music is not.

Although I do feel like swearing and racist lyrics have no place in skating. Like if you skated to Money for Nothing it would be better to edit out the offending lines with the slur toward homosexuals.

Well, the question is mostly about young skaters who choose music that is not age appropriate. My question is, do the parents have any input here? Can a mother say to her 15-year-old, "oh, no , dear. How about this lovely Chopin Etude instead?"

["Oh, Mom!!!"]

Can a father say, "Cover your belly button, young lady!"

["Oh, Dad!!!"]

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well, the question is mostly about young skaters who choose music that is not age appropriate. My question is, do the parents have any input here? Can a mother say to her 15-year-old, "oh, no , dear. How about this lovely Chopin Etude instead?"

["Oh, Mom!!!"]

Can a father say, "Cover your belly button, young lady!"

["Oh, Dad!!!"]

Pull up your pants, young man!

ordinary person

On the Ice
I think the solution is pretty obvious don't you think?

Just remove all the nudity from the costumes including skin tone tights of skaters who are under 18, and please for the love of god don't put on any make up. I can assure you the chances of innoppropriate music would be highly unlikely or non-existent like in the videos i posted in the other thread.