Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki never disappointed me with her costuming - whether it was an edgy leathery ensemble with mittens and bold red lip for Kill Bill SP or vivid feathery peacock creation for 'O' FS, she always rocked them all. I was also a fan of Yuna Kim's costumes - her 'Kiss of Vampire' SP and 'Send in Clowns' SP dresses were just mesmerizing.

Regarding 'glittery' costumes, I love Mae Berenice Meite's costumes - there is just enough sparkle to shine, but never in a tacky, overembelished manner. And all embriodery is looking so perfect on her skin tone:love:

As for Ice dancers, Anna and Luca, Tessa and Scott for me had consistently amazing costumes. Anna's skirts cut is one of kind and probably a secret she will pass to her daughter only:laugh:. Maia Shibutani had also some gorgeous dresses - and her catsuit for Blues SD was also fab! I also love majority of WeaPo costumes - their Paso Doble SD and Waltz SD costumes were just exquisite.

From Pairs - Vanessa James for me us the Queen of Catsuits, period. Also, that striking cobalt SP dress from last season's SP was stunning, so also a queen of bright colours! In the past, I also loved Xue Shen dresses, always elegant and highlighting her beauty. Wenjing Sui developed a lot with her style and her dresses lately are also a thing of beauty for me (LOVED that 'Blues For Klook' SP dress!)

Also for Ladies, Kiira Korpi and other Finnish Ladies really had some amazing costumes season after season, being naturally stunning definitely added to every costume:) :)

From Men, Daisuke is my costume favourite - even if he wore black, the costume was just magnificently detailed and crafted to perfection.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My vote for consistently bad costumes goes to Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Her competition costumes tend to be unflattering muumuus...

For some reason I really like the muumuus...I don't know why, they seem to match Liza's personality though and are elegant in their own way! I especially liked the purple one. :biggrin:

Plushy's gala costumes were consistently extra...from the one with the giant clown head, to the one that turned into a dress and even the over the top tropical one for one of his earlier galas. :laugh:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
As for the Yuzu debate... yes he has sported some 'interesting' choices, but at least he's never boring and he dares to wear actual costumes. 90% of the men just wear black pants and a random shirt. I'd rather him make bold choices than be boring as 90% of the men's field tbh

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason Brown has never had a costume that I liked.

Just having a think about this, I came up with a few that I liked:

- Grand Guignol (2011-2012 season SP)
- Liebestraume (2012 early season FS, with black pants and no darker blue appliques)
- Juke (2014 early season SP, before Rohene ruined it with the bedazzler)
- Tristan et Iseult (2015 Worlds FS in the black pants, no boot covers and darker faux leather touches, after they got rid of the grotesque mustard pants)
- The Piano (2017 US Nationals onwards - in the plain black shirt and black pants, simplicity was perfect for that program, after they ditched the hideous Rohene costume and hair dye)

You'll notice a common theme in these...they're the ones Rohene wasn't involved in or before Rohene ruined them. He creates some great choreography but he should be banned from attempting to costume Jason.

Most hideous Jason costumes:
- The first Prince costume
- The original Piano costume (the fact that they also dyed Jason's lovely hair didn't help)
- The mustard Tristan pants
- Liebestraume with the blue pants (yes, that'll make him look so grown up. Let's put him in coloured velvet pants like junior skaters wear!)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
My favorite Jason costume is the Hamilton one, but maybe I'm biased because I love that program SO MUCH :biggrin:

Warwick360

Medalist
Max's costumes were always elegantly simple and showed off his best...assets. I had no problems with either Lion King costume. (Isn't it funny, y'all whinged that he should be in costume, so he had a proper costume top made for the Lion King originally, and y'all had a whinge about that. So he changed to something more comfortable to skate in and y'all whinge about that, too. Almost like the athlete's comfort isn't a priority for you lot or something. Oh yeah, AND he designed his own costumes precisely BECAUSE he was aware of the whinging and thought it was unfair to subject a costume designer to that, because he blamed his own body for the costumes not looking good.)

Additional: I would love to see the breakdown of how many posters who whinged and moaned about Max's costumes thought Chen's were works of art or whatever. :sarcasm:

I thought Chen's Red costume was very well detailed. Feel free to sue me. :devil:

KiraraChin

Medalist
As for the Yuzu debate... yes he has sported some 'interesting' choices, but at least he's never boring and he dares to wear actual costumes. 90% of the men just wear black pants and a random shirt. I'd rather him make bold choices than be boring as 90% of the men's field tbh

I agree with this. You never have boring with Yuzu. I like his costumes.

As for the ladies, for me Zhenya has the prettiest dresses. Even her Kukushka EX "costume" suited the program perfectly. Her Sailor Moon outfit was an amazing cosplay.

In contrast, as already mentioned, Alina's tutus... What to say as well about that revealing "tiger" costume!? It's so inappropriate for a sweet kid like her, I feel mad on her behalf. It's a shame, she deserves better.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would say Jill Trenary, Katia Gordeeva, Michelle Kwan, Nancy Kerrigan, Tessa Virtue, Nicole Bobek and Meryl Davis consistently had nice dresses at least for their time. I might add from what I have seen Debi Thomas and Karyn Kadavy

Danny T

Medalist
Well, since everyone nominated Yuna (I do too) for having consistently beautiful costumes, here is her latest and a new programme to go along too.

True consistency, even after retirement :luv17:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I just had a brilliant idea for costumes next year: a dance team should skate to Pride and Prejudice and the lady should dress as Elizabeth and the man should dress as a curtain.

"Heaven and earth! Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted"

In truth I have noted before how lovely the dresses for the Korean and Japanese ladies often are. Kana M.'s dress for their free dance this year was exquisite. Also the Japanese ladies headpieces are nearly always on point.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Good: Wakaba Higuchi (her 3 bond girl dresses this season were a lesson of style), Anna Capellini (Always class)

millie

Medalist
Kaetlyn Osmond always slays with her figure skating costumes. She is always on point from her sheer long sleeve bodysuit at 2013 World Championships SP when she skated to Mambo #8 and Gwendoline to her 2018 World Championships LP when she skated to Black Swan. She never fails to win for her beautuful costumes especially made to suit her programs. Always breathtakingly gorgeous.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
For some reason I really like the muumuus...I don't know why, they seem to match Liza's personality though and are elegant in their own way! I especially liked the purple one. :biggrin:

Plushy's gala costumes were consistently extra...from the one with the giant clown head, to the one that turned into a dress and even the over the top tropical one for one of his earlier galas. :laugh:

Agree on Liza's mumus. They look cute on her body type and they flow really nicely with her strange music. But I'm a huge Liza stan so she can basically do no wrong in my eyes :devil:

I feel like you can't even count Plushenko's exhibition costumes among the rest of figure skating costumes. Asisay was affecting enough.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Piper Gilles’ visions for her and Paul Poirier have little middle ground, I find — either genius or bad acid trip. The dress she wore for the James Bond number = perfection. I recall one of the fashion blogs saying they wouldn’t have looked out of place on the cover of Vogue.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn Osmond always slays with her figure skating costumes. She is always on point from her sheer long sleeve bodysuit at 2013 World Championships SP when she skated to Mambo #8 and Gwendoline to her 2018 World Championships LP when she skated to Black Swan. She never fails to win for her beautuful costumes especially made to suit her programs. Always breathtakingly georgeous.

I think comedian Leslie Jones, working for NBC during the Olympics would agree, Millie. ;) https://twitter.com/lesdoggg/status/962542225245855745?lang=en

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I think of costumes, the first person who comes to mind is designer Satomi Ito. She has created some amazingly beautiful costumes, my favorite being Shoma's Loco costume. Satoko's Hernando's Hideaway and Musetta's Waltz costumes are gorgeous. https://www.instagram.com/stm_ito/?hl=en

Also Gail Johnson has created some wonderful costumes for Gracie and other U.S. skaters. http://www.illuminescentdesign.com/skating

princessalica

Final Flight
I think Gracie has has pretty consistently classy pretty costumes --
also enjoyed Allissa czisny's costumes

Winner of bad costumes, Alena leonova

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I just had a brilliant idea for costumes next year: a dance team should skate to Pride and Prejudice and the lady should dress as Elizabeth and the man should dress as a curtain.

"Heaven and earth! Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted"

In truth I have noted before how lovely the dresses for the Korean and Japanese ladies often are. Kana M.'s dress for their free dance this year was exquisite. Also the Japanese ladies headpieces are nearly always on point.

Are you a fan of Pride and Prejudice??? I'm!!! :yay: