Jason Brown | Page 638 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I understand that very few people here would've been present, and I'm not trying to be accusatory at all - I think it's very likely someone didn't know it had an owner and took it as a nice souvenir, with no malicious intent. I'm just hopeful that the more people who see and know about it, the higher the chances it will be found and possibly returned :)

As someone who has a Nathan Chen cardboard cut out because they asked if it was about to be thrown out and if i could have it instead... this is valid. Plenty of people non-maliciously take stuff meant for the dumpster. Often with employee permission (as in my Nathan case). This could be a misunderstanding.

and perhaps giving that little bit of benefit of doubt might help it get found.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm in the minority, but I really like The free program. It's different and it shows what a great skater he is, by not being in his comfort zone. :thumbsup:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand that very few people here would've been present, and I'm not trying to be accusatory at all - I think it's very likely someone didn't know it had an owner and took it as a nice souvenir, with no malicious intent. I'm just hopeful that the more people who see and know about it, the higher the chances it will be found and possibly returned :)

Thank you for letting us know: I did not take your words as accusing the group or not giving the arena the benefit of the doubt as much as wanting to find a banner that someone obviously put a lot of work and thought into (and having looked at the Twitter trail, I can see how much effort you are putting into finding it).

ETA: I am surprised that fellow Jason fans might not understand how upsetting this could be,:sad21: and that in fact, as far as I can tell, your group is looking high and low and this is one more attempt to find the banner.

I’m surprised more banners don’t “walk”. Most of us are watching the skating after all:)

Good luck!:pray:

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm in the minority, but I really like The free program. It's different and it shows what a great skater he is, by not being in his comfort zone. :thumbsup:

I love his free program too. It’s so subtle and I find it very beautiful.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
hi! im one of the girls who was involved in the making of the banner for jason that was took at nationals! my @ is tripleaxei :) we have set up a gofundme to help cover the costs of replacing it, and all extra funds raised will be donated to RMDH! If you want to donate, or support, this is the link! https://www.gofundme.com/jason-brown-for-mayor-campaign-banner-fund

It's a terrific banner! I'm glad that you'll have one to fly at 4CCs. Supporting RMDH is a lovely idea as well. I'm sure that Jason will really appreciate that! I know a family that lived at RMDH in Boston while their son went through long term treatment, and they were so grateful to be able to stay by his side. It's a fantastic charity.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
from a watcher and a non-skater it seems jason didn't get enough height on that 4S in that clip

Perhaps- but it still was one of the best quad attempts we’ve seen from him which is really promising! Nerves probably played a role so it’s likely he rotates it in practice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Perhaps- but it still was one of the best quad attempts we’ve seen from him which is really promising! Nerves probably played a role so it’s likely he rotates it in practice.

Considering he had been falling or popping all of the attempts at his GP oractices, it is a good step.

Honestly it would have been amazing for him to be perfect with a quad, but I'm happy he managed to fight and not let last year’s disaster get to him.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Re-watched that FS...Call me naïve, but I actually took almost only positive things out of that performance - like many of you already said, Jason did not allow to get nerves to him after that quad pop and pushed performance until the very end, also technically. I think he obviously work on that, to not let nerves overtake him during performance, to give out the best, highest quality of it. It is a challenging program for him to pull off I think and he does not give up, which is very important - he can sell this SP like hot cakes, but he is aware that this FS is a step outside his element.

I think that it is a good think that they push that quad idea forward - definitely good that there were some successful attempts of it at practices, even if not perfect/underrotated; for me, it proves about Jason's will and determination to push himself not only in terms of repertoire/expression, performance, but also technically. And I am fairly calm over this, because he will get backing and time to get himself ready for that - what I like about Jason being in TCC is that he has competitive environment to grow up his confidence and tech consistency with 'mental' support at the same time to do it in his own pace. I try to understand that it has to be quite difficult to maintain some kind of 'consistency' over high quality performance and working on that developments, it won't come overnight.

I sense that it is important for him to have that confidence and support vested/shown for him: by Tracy, by community, Brian (surely present spiritually in Detroit;)) in also not-so-perfect moments. I think it builds his how confidence and sense of doing things rightly, with right approach to them - with constant pressure and negative energy around, it would be 10 times harder to achieve level he presents now after not even a year after the change I think.

It is definitely good 4CC is there yet to try more - there's still a peak for that FS and I find it exciting to be honest; I really love the subtle energy of it, transforming into energetic celebration of Jason's own positive demeanour, explosive way of skating/expressing music. I think it is an important thing for Jason to not lose that control over the program, the personal touch added to it aside jumps - as 4CC is held in US this year, I think it will be a good place for him to have that space to show the best he can, to prove himself after Nats, to solidify his path.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Even without Nationals inflation, the finish order would remain the same and all three men earned their World's spots. All of them had something to prove. Nathan proved that he can balance school and skating. Vince proved that he has improved his technique and is working hard to be a better skater. Jason has proved that also. The freeskate was a bit rough, but the important thing is that it was enough for this competition, and hopefully it has helped to erase the nightmare that was his freeskate at Nationals in 2018. He didn't look nervous, but when the music started he wasn't completely in the zone. But this time he fought through the program and didn't feel defeated. That is a huge step forward. I think he'll go to 4CCs feeling much more confident. There really is no pressure on him at 4CCs. There will be good skaters there, but he doesn't have to worry about earning spots and he actually has a chance to medal. I think he will have learned a lot from this Nationals performance and he'll move on from there. I'm looking forward to 4CCs and Worlds!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So when are we getting the free skate report? :biggrin:

Sorry, I had to recover from my epic travel day!

Okay, so seeing it live did not make me love the FS - just saying. I thought he looked way more nervous in the warmup for the FS than he did in the SP, and even when taking his position. He'd tried a couple in the warmup - one that was < and fall, but closer than I've seen it before.

Sometimes with Jason - I don't know how, but I know something's not going to happen before he does it. I got that feeling immediately as he was setting up for the 4S. He didn't have enough speed and he looked hesitant. I was hoping he was still going to pull in for it...but of course, not quite. The second pop to the single was unexpected.

However what I loved was that he clearly shoved it all out of his head and just kept going. It was a proper fightback in the grand tradition landing everything with confidence and style. He looked like he was getting stronger through the program. I loved it.

I still think the program's wrong for him - Hazy Shade of Winter should start much earlier than it does, maybe that would help.

Oh, and I'm kinda mad at him about the last spin. I knew it was a V before he even finished it because he didn't hold the camel. It really frustrates me because you all know how much I love Jason's spins, he's the best spinner in the world bar none, AND HE DOESN'T HOLD HIS CAMEL FOR TWO COME ON - ahem, sorry. It's just - he has a stunning camel, it's obviously something simple for him to do, get him to hold it for three! It's not really acceptable that someone of his skill and level should be getting spins V'd because he's rushing the camel.

But I love him. He is magic. Even when making mistakes he is magic.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think the other thing to remember is that the freeskate could have gone in 2 different ways after the popped triple salchow. It could very easily have fallen apart. But he fought, and that fight is what he really has reclaimed this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the other thing to remember is that the freeskate could have gone in 2 different ways after the popped triple salchow. It could very easily have fallen apart. But he fought, and that fight is what he really has reclaimed this year.

Agreed. Honestly, that is what I came away from it. It was the skate he needed to have in a sense, to show that he could really put last year behind him.

I was really inspired and proud of the fight he showed. I think Tracy was too.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He went through hell last year, so I think we all knew that this FS was going to be a big challenge. So while it wasn't up to the best that it could be, it was good enough and he got through it. I was so happy to see him get a spot on the podium. I think that Freeskate was a huge emotional challenge. He fought through every element and he came out of it in a good place. Karne, you must have been so nervous! I was at Nationals when the FS disaster hit last year and I was literally crumbling. I knew how horrible he felt. So to see him really happy this year was GREAT! The worst is over, he can now move on and build new experiences and memories.

We felt that he took too long to get into jumping position on that first 4S, and then he rushed the actual takeoff. So it didn't feel right and he popped it. It's a mental block and he will have to work hard to overcome it. He's not yet confident about that jump. He'll keep working on it and he'll eventually land one. In competition. The 3S was a bit of a puzzle. I think he lost his focus, fought for it, kept going and then lost his focus on the spin at the end. He said to Tracy as he got to the K&C "I fought and I fought and I fought." The important thing is that he didn't give up.

I don't dislike the FS. It's not a typical Jason program for sure. It might have been easier for him to do a Rohene program, but this is an 18 month process and I think they really want him to focus on the new technique and the slower speed of this program is designed for that. It is also a way of saying goodbye to the past and embracing the future. But I agree, that Hazy Days of Winter should have been longer. It was probably perfect for 4 1/2 minutes, but crammed into 4. One thing I love about watching Jason skate on camera. He's so fast in his transitions and movement across the ice, the camera often has trouble keeping up with him. It's kind of funny.

I wish I had been there. This was a terrific Nationals. I'm very happy with the outcome.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne, you must have been so nervous! I was at Nationals when the FS disaster hit last year and I was literally crumbling. I knew how horrible he felt. So to see him really happy this year was GREAT! The worst is over, he can now move on and build new experiences and memories.

I was so nervous, I had to be reminded to breathe, I almost strangled the bear I had I was clutching it so hard. I'm so happy he was able to recollect his thoughts/momentum and finish the program strongly. I was watching at home on the stream last year and Jason's FS was the final straw in what had already been a day where I had spent most of it crying (the news about Joshua, then Max's FS). I'm so glad I was able to see this live.

Of course, if he wishes to show an even better performance of it next week...I should not object. ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Sorry, I had to recover from my epic travel day!

Okay, so seeing it live did not make me love the FS - just saying. I thought he looked way more nervous in the warmup for the FS than he did in the SP, and even when taking his position. He'd tried a couple in the warmup - one that was < and fall, but closer than I've seen it before.

Sometimes with Jason - I don't know how, but I know something's not going to happen before he does it. I got that feeling immediately as he was setting up for the 4S. He didn't have enough speed and he looked hesitant. I was hoping he was still going to pull in for it...but of course, not quite. The second pop to the single was unexpected.

However what I loved was that he clearly shoved it all out of his head and just kept going. It was a proper fightback in the grand tradition landing everything with confidence and style. He looked like he was getting stronger through the program. I loved it.

I still think the program's wrong for him - Hazy Shade of Winter should start much earlier than it does, maybe that would help.

Oh, and I'm kinda mad at him about the last spin. I knew it was a V before he even finished it because he didn't hold the camel. It really frustrates me because you all know how much I love Jason's spins, he's the best spinner in the world bar none, AND HE DOESN'T HOLD HIS CAMEL FOR TWO COME ON - ahem, sorry. It's just - he has a stunning camel, it's obviously something simple for him to do, get him to hold it for three! It's not really acceptable that someone of his skill and level should be getting spins V'd because he's rushing the camel.

But I love him. He is magic. Even when making mistakes he is magic.

Thanks for your report, Karne! I can’t believe you drove from airport down to CS yesterday and I’m so glad you arrived safely! We got more snow than predicted and Colorado doesn’t seem to be that great at keeping roads cleared at the best of times. I actually took the train in to work yesterday rather than drive.

Anyway, not to get too OT, since I remember you saw him skate live on your last US trip, I was curious as to what changes you noticed between then and now, and your overall current impression of his speed, SS, jumps, etc.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyway, not to get too OT, since I remember you saw him skate live on your last US trip, I was curious as to what changes you noticed between then and now, and your overall current impression of his speed, SS, jumps, etc.

Speed - he's faster now. Much, much faster, and he wasn't slow before. His posture is better too and it was already exquisite! Everything he does just looks even more refined and polished. Jumps are springier, look more effortless - though remember last time he was just coming back from an injury so none of this may be especially accurate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wondered whether he thought about trying the quad a second time in the spot where the triple Salchow goes, and in indecision, ended up with a second pop?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Speed - he's faster now. Much, much faster, and he wasn't slow before. His posture is better too and it was already exquisite! Everything he does just looks even more refined and polished. Jumps are springier, look more effortless - though remember last time he was just coming back from an injury so none of this may be especially accurate.

Thanks! I have to laugh about the speed bc one of the posters in the US Nats related threads said several times that he’s very slow and my impression from seeing him live at SA 2016 was that wasn’t true.

ETA Doris, I also wondered about that.