2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
142 was a bit much with multiple URs, I think she got dinged for 2 or 3, there were at least 4

I dont know...

I love her skating but the jumps are so frustrating!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
She didn’t beat Tuktamysheva in the free skate. She beat her overall due to her lead in SP and higher PCS. I don’t see the issue, especially when Tuktamysheva didn’t do herself any favors.

Yes this is true, liza messed up her SP.

But if Satoko has got a few points less in the FS Liza would have overtaken.

It's a shame because I feel Liza really came back fighting in her free, returning to old program helped.

Satoko was a bit lucky to end up second

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight

I always hold the skater accountable for their own results, not the competitor. Tuktamysheva fell on the 3A on her SP and made mistakes in her FS. That’s why she lost her chance to qualify to GPF. Period. End of story.

Miyahara, on the other hand, was penalized for a total of five URs across both programs. She was also about 5-6 points ahead on PCS (in the free skate) than the rest of the field. I don’t necessarily agree with that (I find Miyahara yawn-inducing), but she’s definitely superior in skating skills and maybe interpretation.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I will admit I am not great at judging edges or URs so I usually just roll with it.

Satoko's URs didn't detract me from the program. I just thought her performance was beautiful and she didn't fall or look wobbly so in my eyes she deserved to rank well. Apparently the judges agreed.

Liza always looks clumsy and slow to me and I don't enjoy her mugging at the audience so I agree with the results. (disclaimer I rarely watch Liza as I don't enjoy her skating so I can't comment on her skating much). Obviously I wouldn't be screaming conspiracy either if she had beaten Satoko but in this case based on what I saw I feel good because I agree with the judging.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

It's a shame because I feel Liza really came back fighting in her free, returning to old program helped.

Satoko was a bit lucky to end up second

Liza had an uncalled UR on her second 3A ,so Satoko with an extra UR would have still been second, so I'd say the results are fair.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
The results are fair

I just mean that had Liza and Young You actually skated their planned content across both programs cleanly, Satako might not have been on the podium at all. That is why she is lucky

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The results are fair

I just mean that had Liza and Young You actually skated their planned content across both programs cleanly, Satako might not have been on the podium at all. That is why she is lucky

Planned content doesn't guarantee you a medal otherwise we wouldn't have competitions to decide the winner, would we? It is what you put out there that matters and Satoko delivered despite getting far lower PCs than she actually should get.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Planned content doesn't guarantee you a medal otherwise we wouldn't have competitions to decide the winner, would we? It is what you put out there that matters and Satoko delivered despite getting far lower PCs than she actually should get.

I thought her PCS was good

URs were rampant but yeah...

Planned content doesn't win medals

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
On Satoko's performance.

I think placement was fair, she was better than Liza across the two programs. (considering Tuktamysheva made big mistakes in the short).

The jumps looked better here than what i saw in the past, despite the UR calls.

Not the biggest fan of this Schinder's List rendition: it's a delicate variant, and the program is very pretty, i'd say too pretty, it reminds me a lot of the old Sospiro FS, which was beautiful but in my mind a program on this music should have more drama, i don't get why she was smiling towards the end.

1111bm

Final Flight
...i don't get why she was smiling towards the end.

To convey a feeling of hope maybe? The music isn't actually totally depressing and gloomy in the end, and SL was also about saving people's lifes after all, so there were glimpses of good and humanity in there as well. I don't see why a performance would have to be dramatic and sombre all throughout such a program, and as a result very one-note.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Not at all a fan of Miyahara's tiny, under rotated jumps, but she showed real heart in stealing the silver from under Tuktamysheva. Hope she finds a way into the final.

Marin...is still Marin. I've given up on the whole family now. Hope the will continue doing nice exhibition numbers at least.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Marin was sooooo good as a junior, right up there with Alina.

It makes me so sad to see her struggle since turning senior, she still has such lovely moments but she can't seem to put it all together.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Liza had an uncalled UR on her second 3A ,so Satoko with an extra UR would have still been second, so I'd say the results are fair.

I have no problem with strict judging.
In that case Satoko should get 3Lz<+3T<< in the short. In the free 3Lz<+3T<, 3Lo<, 3S<
All her triples were UR or downgraded

I wouldn't call her edge though, i think it was slightly outside

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Been hard to find motivation to care about skating lately because the programs have been so devoid of any choreographic integrity or quality that I don't get any enjoyment out of watching them.

Just watched Satoko's free skate and I'm so grateful for her. I haven't been moved emotionally or flabbergasted at beautiful skating since maybe Mao's Olympic free skate in Sochi. Were her PCS in the free the highest of her career? Regardless, they're deservedly high. Rooting for her to win back her national title.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Been hard to find motivation to care about skating lately because the programs have been so devoid of any choreographic integrity or quality that I don't get any enjoyment out of watching them.

Just watched Satoko's free skate and I'm so grateful for her. I haven't been moved emotionally or flabbergasted at beautiful skating since maybe Mao's Olympic free skate in Sochi. Were her PCS in the free the highest of her career? Regardless, they're deservedly high. Rooting for her to win back her national title.

Well...she has 20 points to make up against Rika (without a lutz and a step out on a 3A), who's not showing signs of slowing down even with an injury.

skatenewbie

Medalist

its her 2nd best PCS i believe, her highest is 2018 WC where she got 72.52 (in CoC she got 72.36)

DenissVFan

Medalist
I know that Satoko is still co-coached by Hamada but does she intend to stay with her? Hamada didn't sit with her in the K&C at COC despite being there with Young You and her other coach Tammy Gambill.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I know that Satoko is still co-coached by Hamada but does she intend to stay with her? Hamada didn't sit with her in the K&C at COC despite being there with Young You and her other coach Tammy Gambill.

Satoko has adressed in a new interview that there is nothing strange going on. She is still with Hamada, they just have agreed at the beginning of the season that Lee will go to all of her international competitions with her.