2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I hope it will not be that definitive. As we say, you never eat your supper as hot as it was cooked. But of course it is a possibility.

The decision on GP stages has to be made by the beginning of August I think.
I don't think that in less than a month time that there's left, countries will start opening up for international travel.

But having internal competitions is probably a lot more safe, and it's something.
Russian Cup stages could be GP stages of their own :biggrin:

Ever since (Alina) won that Olympic gold the international skating Union has been out to stop someone like her...

Someone like her? What do you mean? Is the ISU pushing young skaters with quads and triple Axels and holding back skaters like Alina that are the complete package except for the super-jumps?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Maybe because what lopsilceci has written, I also presume she can't afford any hostility that could damage her skaters in the future. Also remember that in the past nor her nor any of her skaters ever expressed any objection about scoring etc. , so it could be just continuation of the same attitude. But I would be still rather if she would've stayed completely out of it.
Agreed. It makes sense to me. EG knows how to play the game and you never hear her complain about anything.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Someone like her? What do you mean? Is the ISU pushing young skaters with quads and triple Axels and holding back skaters like Alina that are the complete package except for the super-jumps?

For the second time in three years the international skating union is plotting to raise the age limit to 18 which would nip in the bud everything EG has done since 2012 with Yulia on. That age increase would have nullified everything this coach did with these Super Girls including Yulia Zagitova Medvedeva and 3A plus Kamila. Anyone in their right mind actually think figure skating would be better off if these many great skaters weren't skating at Nays and GP worlds and olympics at 14 15 or 16 years old? I mean think about it can you imagine if we never saw these girls as adults skaters at 15? There would be less figure skating fans.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think that in less than a month time that there's left, countries will start opening up for international travel.

But having internal competitions is probably a lot more safe, and it's something.

This is a chance for Russia to change figure skating for the ladies at least and have a couple challenges besides the several Russian Cup Series. I think Tallin challenger might still go off but if it doesn't move it to St Petersburg. :)

Back to these stupid Awards how is Anna ballerina not up for best newcomer? Obviously aliona would win by a landslide I would think being the best and most beautiful skater in the world. But it's insulting not having one of 3A on that list.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't presume anything in the sense of how Buyanova can "destroy" Zhenya, I'm not at all concerned about that. I have simply expressed my opinion to Buyanova's recent "killcount" ;)

Wow kill count is extreme even for me. ;)

Now that I think about it longer Russia may be the best place for Zhenya to be in for the next few months because she can skate and local competitions and the Russian cups and St Petersburg cup and so on. And Brian and his team can coach her from afar or on Zoom or Skype or whatever they use in Canada and Russia.

halulupu

Final Flight
Hope zhenya stays with buyanova since orser cheated on her with rika and most likely there are only russian internal competitions. if she has to fly back and forth from canada to russia it might get tricky and risky with all the corona flight bans

Amei

Record Breaker
Wow, Alina's fanbase is super strong - Eteri is being berated for inviting to watch ISU Awards ceremony. :eek:
Poor PR-management by ISU - should've recognized how absence of mega popular skater among nominees may hurt the event... :disapp:

Not the word I would have used to describe people going nuts over these idiotic ISU awards. Zagitova's uber-fans need to remember that Eteri has multiple other skaters that are up for awards and given the success of 3 of her skaters, she is likely to win the coach of the year award.

Maybe because what lopsilceci has written, I also presume she can't afford any hostility that could damage her skaters in the future. Also remember that in the past nor her nor any of her skaters ever expressed any objection about scoring etc. , so it could be just continuation of the same attitude. But I would be still rather if she would've stayed completely out of it.

Why in the world should any skater/coach/Fed get up in arms about the "ISU Skating Awards"; all it would do is tick off the ISU and at the end of the day it's literally a trophy/plaque that means nothing in terms of what they work to accomplish. Better save any arguments or complaints to the ISU for their inconsistent scoring rather than these awards

sparklestan

On the Ice

That’s not a bad idea to have a “Russian GP/JGP” at least for the ladies. Put two or three of the top ladies at each event along with other ladies. Have the top 6 go to a final at the end. :biggrin:
Basically the GP or JGP system but with just the Russians going around to different Russian cities instead of various countries.

Amei

Record Breaker
Hope zhenya stays with buyanova since orser cheated on her with rika

Unless Medvedeva got Orser to sign some kind of exclusivity contract where it stated he would not train a competitor of her, (which I doubt he would have signed and if he did agree to it, it would probably include a prohibitively high fee for her to pay) he didn't cheat on her.

if she has to fly back and forth from canada to russia it might get tricky and risky with all the corona flight bans

Not just a potential flight ban but my understanding is that most places have required quarantines in place for people that trave;, she was supposed to quarantine there and when she flew to Moscow from Japan she was supposedly going to have to quarantine there. So if she was able to fly back and forth, she would likely be stuck in patterns of every time she flew having to quarantine away from the ice.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Hope zhenya stays with buyanova since orser cheated on her with rika and most likely there are only russian internal competitions. if she has to fly back and forth from canada to russia it might get tricky and risky with all the corona flight bans

Wow that's a strong take! All parties say or sir is the coach. But you may be right about a lot of Russian internal competitions this year and hopefully fans can attend those but I still hope we have a Grand Prix season Euros in Worlds even if the crowd is banned. For the ladies Russian Nationals really will be like a world championship this year.

icybear

Medalist
Be interesting to see how Rika Khira move will affect Evgenia training situation at Orser. Last time there was a competitive skater training in the same rink with her, things turned out a little sour. ;)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Be interesting to see how Rika Khira move will affect Evgenia training situation at Orser. Last time there was a competitive skater training in the same rink with her, things turned out a little sour. ;)

Yeah it kind of makes you go hmmm. I doubt there will be problems as we know Brian is her secondary coach now.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

"Cheated???" He didn't sign some sort of blood pact with her!

For the second time in three years the international skating union is plotting to raise the age limit to 18 which would nip in the bud everything EG has done since 2012 with Yulia on. That age increase would have nullified everything this coach did with these Super Girls including Yulia Zagitova Medvedeva and 3A plus Kamila. Anyone in their right mind actually think figure skating would be better off if these many great skaters weren't skating at Nays and GP worlds and olympics at 14 15 or 16 years old? I mean think about it can you imagine if we never saw these girls as adults skaters at 15? There would be less figure skating fans.

I think you are tilting at windmills. Every so ofter there is a half-hearted discussion of maybe tinkering with age limits -- or not. Nothing will come of it.

But actually, the comment was not about a skater of the future like Valieva. It was about Zagitova. She would only be helped, not hurt, if the age limit for seniors were raised.

Far from trying to hold Zagitova back in any way, the ISU did everything they could to encourage and reward her progress. Same with Medvedeva. Same with Lipnitskaia. The ISU gave all these skaters every chance to shine, and shine they did.

Same with Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Kostornaia in the season just passed. All these ladies were heavily promoted and lauded by by the figure skating establishment. For the future, skating honchos are already talking up Valieva for 2022 (while hoping that others like Daria Usacheva or Alyssa Liu will put on a big show as well.)

And why not? They are the big draw these days. The ISU knows when they have a winner.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Rusfed has informed their skaters that current season will most probably be limited to internal competitions only (championship, cup, and special 'challengers') since ISU is unable to organize international competitions due to various restrictions imposed by member states.

Well, as it is likely that the season will never happen. Maybe this is a GOOD thing that we will have more Russian internal competitions. Think of the possibilities. Moscow championships, Sankt Petersburg Championships, Samara championships, Vladivostok championships, Novosibirsk championships etc...

Maybe we will see all our Russian girls competing more:yahoo:

We might see a lot more of Shcherbakova, Zagitova, Kostornaia, Trusova, Sinitsyna, Nugumanova, Gubanova, Tuktamysheva, Tsibinova, Talalaykina, Sakhanovich, Konstantinova, Medvedeva, Tarakanova, Gulyakova, Leonova, Samodurova, Gracheva, Shulskaya, Sidorova, Kolomiets, Deyneko, Mikryukova, Shevchenko, Tumanova, Sheveleva, Belousova, Starodubtseva, Monich, Budzko, Mostenets etc etc... and maybe the juniors will turn up too!! Valieva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Frolova and so on...

Bring it on RusFed!!!:luv17: If anyone can turn this strange season into a golden RusFest it is you!!!

And as someone said, watching the Russian ladies is like watching the GPs, Euros and Worlds anyway...

And I forgot Sotskova - shame on me!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I think you are tilting at windmills. Every so ofter there is a half-hearted discussion of maybe tinkering with age limits -- or not. Nothing will come of it.

But actually, the comment was not about a skater of the future like Valieva. It was about Zagitova. She would only be helped, not hurt, if the age limit for seniors were raised.

How she was hurt? She was still one of the best competitor last season, no matter of the ages of another competitors. If you mean by being helped to go to the Worlds, there are other things which ISU can do and which actually exist in majority of other sports in the world, like that current world champion always has a free pass to defend his/her tittle. I mean, there are a lot of other more logical things to do in ISU to 'help Zagitova' (like they do in track&field or gymnastic) instead of raising the age limit 'for her' :confused2:

How she was hurt?

She wasn't hurt. That was my point.

Likewise,Medvedeva was not hurt by any action of the ISU. Lipnitskaia was not hurt by any action of the ISU. Trusova has not been hurt by any action of the ISU. Shcherbakova has not been hurt by any action of the ISU. Kostornaia has not been hurt by any action of the ISU. Valieva has not been hurt by any action of the ISU.

All this hand-wringing about how the ISU is picking on Eteri skaters -- I don't see it.

A lot of "fleeing when no one pursueth" if you ask me. :)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I was talking specifically about Alina, as a current World Champion. She is not hurt by the age limit rule, but you can claim she is hurt by the other rules, like for not being 'allowed' to defend her title by being a current world champion or by some other rules which are not part of ISU, but they exist in majority of other sports in the world. So you can claim with a lot of reasonable arguments she is 'hurt' by some other things which exist or don't exist in 'ISU rules'.

Amei

Record Breaker
I was talking specifically about Alina, as a current World Champion. She is not hurt by the age limit rules, but you can claim she is hurt by the other rules, like for not being 'allowed' to defend her title by being a current world champion or by some other rules which are not part of ISU, but they exist in majority of other sports in the world. So you can claim with a lot of reasonable arguments she is 'hurt' by some other things which exist or don't exist in 'ISU rules'. Those who 'really wanted' to keep skaters more years in the sport, they could suggested some of many simple rules which already exist in other sports, instead to blame it on the current age limit rule.

Well Zagitova didn't even attempt to get on the Worlds team to be able to defend her title, she took a break after the GPF.

While I can understand a component of allowing the champion to get a 'bye' to the event to defend their title, I can understand a hesitation to do that, for the most part that's going to put yet another skater from a big skating country at the competition, and the chances of a skater from a smaller skating country getting into the top 5 or medaling would be much less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.