2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I just don’t think the USFS should be pushing forward a skater who’s 3-3 are only sometimes landed (and rotated). Especially compared to other countries whose top ladies have triple axels and quads. I’m not a Mariah fan, but she is a good skater, I just wish she wouldn’t have things handed to her by the federation.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
They seem to be pushing for Mariah but I really don’t think that’s a good idea. Mariah’s components are not going to be enough to make her competitive internationally, not when her tech is this low. Bradie’s not the most charismatic skater but she’s pushing herself technically (which is the more important score at the moment) and has proven she can be successful internationally. She benefits more from a number 1 US senior lady boost and gives the US a better shot at a medal at events like 4CC.
Bradie needs a lot a lot of work.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
I just don’t think the USFS should be pushing forward a skater who’s 3-3 are only sometimes landed (and rotated). Especially compared to other countries whose top ladies have triple axels and quads. I’m not a Mariah fan, but she is a good skater, I just wish she wouldn’t have things handed to her by the federation.
So because Mariah fell she now only “sometimes” lands it? I don’t think they are implying getting a 69 by a national panel is equivalent to a quad or triple axel internationally....

oly2018

Final Flight
Is it really pushing? She is the better PCS skater and when Alyssa is removed from the equation, she looks to be in better shape than Bradie. We don't have any senior ladies with triple axels and quads, so we have to push what we have. I don't think Mariah or Bradie are ever going to pull out quad lutzes, but we should promote what they are strong at.

dancelion21

On the Ice
I think it's more likely for Mariah to do a 3A than Bradie, her 2A has a lot of height. Mariah is more of a full package than any other US lady. She has the consistency and performance. However, her TES is severely capped since she only does one 3-3. She'd be more competitive if she did more.

Side note, I'm glad Bradie went for the 3Lz-3T in the SP today instead of the 3Lz-3Lo that she tried and fell on last time. She has a much better success rate with the 3T combos.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
So because Mariah fell she now only “sometimes” lands it? I don’t think they are implying getting a 69 by a national panel is equivalent to a quad or triple axel internationally....
Not just this time, I’m talking about the past 2 years. Her 3-3 became slightly more consistent this past year, but her rotation has always been kind of spotty. If this were an international competition, a fall on a 3-3 would be a lot lower than 69 (probably like 65 or lower no matter what her PCS are).

lumi99

Rinkside
Not just this time, I’m talking about the past 2 years. Her 3-3 became slightly more consistent this past year, but her rotation has always been kind of spotty. If this were an international competition, a fall on a 3-3 would be a lot lower than 69 (probably like 65 or lower no matter what her PCS are).
Last year at Rostelecom she fell on her 3-3 and got 67.11.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Is it really pushing? She is the better PCS skater and when Alyssa is removed from the equation, she looks to be in better shape than Bradie. We don't have any senior ladies with triple axels and quads, so we have to push what we have. I don't think Mariah or Bradie are ever going to pull out quad lutzes, but we should promote what they are strong at.
Yeah, I get what you are saying and I agree we should promote what they are strong at, as long as it’s equal because some of Mariah’s scores (domestically) for the past few years have been higher than the should. It’s times like these that a protocol would be really helpful :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
That was under 6.0 when they weren't so strict about URs. Under COP it's better to fully rotate and fall rather than UR. It's difficult to say someone was clean without looking at the protocols.

I never said I was young..;)

I still have a hard time giving someone a great Component Score with a fall. In dance we call it "Bleed Over" it sounds cruel however, if you plan a triple turn and fall or stumble out of it, it effects everything and you effect score ( A dance judging term ) is effected.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Last year at Rostelecom she fell on her 3-3 and got 67.11.
Oh yeah, my bad, I totally forgot that was what the score was. That seems pretty reasonable, I just don’t get how today she got almost 70 with a fall (I know judges inflate scores for their host countries but...) Especially since with a fall, skaters PCS are lower.

natsulian

Final Flight
Mariah B. - Powerfully emotive skating paired with quality skating skills, lines, and beautiful spins. Once the season gets underway and Bell works to increase the consistency of her 3-3, I'm sure she will be scoring much, much higher. However, her free this year is not as breathtaking as last season's but I cannot wait to see it evolve and mature.

Alysa L. - Improved skating quality, edges, speed, and performance ability. Liu's jumps looked clean today, but it's difficult to tell when her technique is so squirrelly and she rotates like a rocket. However, her short program does not interest me at all... no matter how "cutesy" it may be. To me, with the way she's matured, it almost seems like she's outgrown such programs.

Bradie T. - The packaging is not quite there yet and neither programs interest me. However, she is hard at work on upgrading her technical arsenal and that will take time. I do wish for her to work on her overall jumping quality because the under-rotations have become even more noticeable after her move. Best of luck to her.

Dogo

On the Ice
On her SP the little jumps Alysa does when the trumpets are marking the tempo are not helping her. Lori needs to change those ASAP because they look labored. The only way I can see those staying are if Lori makes Alysa jump them with more elegance, extending the legs, having good core posture, and refining the gesture on the arms. Otherwise, Lori please take those away! It's wasting precious time that Alysa can be using for other types of transitions.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was under 6.0 when they weren't so strict about URs. Under COP it's better to fully rotate and fall rather than UR. It's difficult to say someone was clean without looking at the protocols.

Under 6.0, there were 8 required elements in the short program. Messing up even one was often fatal for the skater. A fall almost always was. The reason was that in the long program, the top three skaters controlled their own destiny, as they say. Whoever of the top three came in first in the long won gold. A skater out of the top three had to depend on errors by others to win. Lower than 4th, it was pretty much impossible.

haribobo

On the Ice
Top scores so far this season-

SENIOR LADIES SP
Karen Chen 73.39 Cup of CO
Amber Glenn 70.65 Colonial
Mariah Bell 69.28 ISP
Audrey Shin 67.32 E Cup of CO
Bradie Tennell 65.32 ISP
Lindsay Thorngren 64.38 E Boston
Starr Andrews 64.15 P ISP
Alysa Liu 64.06 ISP
Paige Rydberg 61.28 M ISP
Pooja Kalyan 60.92 M Co Springs
Sonja Hilmer 59.75 M CoSprings
Finley Hawk 59.23 M Battle of Blades
Sierra Venetta 59.11 P Cup of CO
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 54.93 M Shakopee
Rena Ikenishi 53.85 E ISP
Sarah Jung 53.28 E Cup of CO
Sierra Venetta 53.01 P ISP
Courtney Hicks 52.34 M CoSprings
Calista Choi 52.33 M Battle of Blades
Gracie Gold 51.95 E ISP
Violeta Ushakova 51.16 E Boston
Isabelle Inthisone 48.55 M Battle of Blades

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Mariah and Bradie have done the same amount of triples among both programs for a couple of seasons now. Bradie’s BV has never been much higher than Mariah’s. Mariah should’ve been getting higher components and GOE on most elements for the past 2 seasons. She’s by far the better PCS skater and someone who could actually be given sky high PCS by international judges, unlike Bradie, who likely won’t ever. I just don’t understand the outrage. Bradie and Alysa aren’t better skaters than Mariah. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and Mariah should have her strengths reflected in PCS and some GOE, which she hasn’t the past few seasons.

trkvy

Match Penalty
Mariah and Bradie have done the same amount of triples among both programs for a couple of seasons now. Bradie’s BV has never been much higher than Mariah’s. Mariah should’ve been getting higher components and GOE on most elements for the past 2 seasons. She’s by far the better PCS skater and someone who could actually be given sky high PCS by international judges, unlike Bradie, who likely won’t ever. I just don’t understand the outrage. Bradie and Alysa aren’t better skaters than Mariah. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and Mariah should have her strengths reflected in PCS and some GOE, which she hasn’t the past few seasons.
Bradie's had 7 triples in her FS, Mariah had 6.
Bradie's average PCS is higher than Mariah's internationally https://skatingscores.com/1920/ladies/pcs/