2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

Skatefan15

On the Ice
What US ladies have an outside edge on their lutz? I know Gracie, Karen, and Alysa do for sure, but for anyone who saw the videos today, were there others as well?

askaterfan

Spectator
What US ladies have an outside edge on their lutz? I know Gracie, Karen, and Alysa do for sure, but for anyone who saw the videos today, were there others as well?
Bradie and Mariah both do at times, not always but neither have a huge flutz issue at all. Audrey and Pooja also have clear, consistent outside edges. Amber too. Honestly most US ladies at this point in time don't have a consistent flutz. Can not really think of anyone off the top of my head

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Given that Amber broke her orbital bone just 3 weeks before, its impressive shes jumping or spinning at all! She needs time to fully recover before we see what she is really capable of doing this year.

Agree. A day or two ago, Amber's Instastory said (I'm paraphrasing) that she is on track for 100% recovery by Skate America.

Her tweet today:
With the second ISP points challenge results coming out today I wanted to hop on here to say thank you for all of the get well wishes :two hearts: Luckily I’ve made tremendous progress healing and can’t wait to give it my all at Skate America Xoxo

Go, Amber! How I wish I could cheer for her in person in Las Vegas. ⛸️🇺🇸
I'm glad that she is receiving a lot of support from afar. 😷🤗

... I wonder how in advance these ISP videos are sent.

For ISP singles skaters, the required second-round recording dates were Oct 1 for SP and Oct 2 for FS.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie and Mariah both do at times, not always but neither have a huge flutz issue at all. Audrey and Pooja also have clear, consistent outside edges. Amber too. Honestly most US ladies at this point in time don't have a consistent flutz. Can not really think of anyone off the top of my head
But who has a lip, and not a flip?

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Ok, thank you. I know no one has like a major inside edge. But I think that Bradie and Mariah mostly have flat edges on lutz? It’s a relief that there’s no skater where we can immediately call an inside edge!

Skatefan15

On the Ice
But who has a lip, and not a flip?
I know that lips have been a problem for Gracie and Karen but I’m not sure about who else. Since Bradie and Mariah’s lutz is kinda flat, there flips are fine. I think Ambers flip is fine too.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I really like Amber’s free skate! The music matches her very nicely and I think she should be the one getting higher PCS:clap:

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
Not just this time, I’m talking about the past 2 years. Her 3-3 became slightly more consistent this past year, but her rotation has always been kind of spotty. If this were an international competition, a fall on a 3-3 would be a lot lower than 69 (probably like 65 or lower no matter what her PCS are).
I honestly would have expected more inflation than a couple points from this not being an international competition. So I don’t think they are “giving her” too much.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
Yeah, I get what you are saying and I agree we should promote what they are strong at, as long as it’s equal because some of Mariah’s scores (domestically) for the past few years have been higher than the should. It’s times like these that a protocol would be really helpful :)
Everyone’s domestic scores are higher.... that always happens???

bytheriver

On the Ice
That 3A was << and there must have been a ton of other under rotations for them to mark her down so low. She skated clean to the eye other than the fall on the opener. And it wasn’t as if Mariah and Bradie were such a revelation, so they must be sending her team a message that they aren’t going to overlook the unders anymore if she doesn’t have the big jumps locked down. She was tenths of a point ahead of Karen Chen who didn’t do combinations in the back half.

Amber was a big surprise to me, her jumps looked really clean and she seemed very confident. The program works well for her too. Second in the standings with this field will probably leave her feeling more motivated coming back from that orbital bone fracture.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Everyone’s domestic scores are higher.... that always happens???
I know it does, it happens everywhere. What I was saying is there was no way she was going to get above 145 anywhere (and her PCS were like 75?! Plus her GOEs were super inflated imo). But we can all have differing opinions about this stuff.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I know it does, it happens everywhere. What I was saying is there was no way she was going to get above 145 anywhere (and her PCS were like 75?! Plus her GOEs were super inflated imo). But we can all have differing opinions about this stuff.
This is why I question Mariah's score with a fall. If a domestic panel wants to promote Mariah, they should at least wait for a clean skate to score her above the 2 time and reigning US Champion.

Last edited:

skatinggold

On the Ice
I am happy that Alysa tried the triple axle which means she is at least landing it. Figure skating is a harsh sport, once your body changes, they will kick you to the curb. Those scores for Alysa are ridiculous. She doesn't deserve it. I hope Alysa comes back stronger, and tell them who is the boss. I would be totally discourage to get what was put out there and how they hammered her like that. You know who the USFS is pushing this year for National Champion already.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Bradie's had 7 triples in her FS, Mariah had 6.
Bradie's average PCS is higher than Mariah's internationally https://skatingscores.com/1920/ladies/pcs/
No. Mariah plans 7 triples in her FS, too. Bradie shouldn’t have been getting higher PCS than her before, so if that’s changing, then good, it should. Mariah is a good PCS skater and has the potential to get sky high PCS even with international judges, that’s her strength.

readernick

Medalist
No. Mariah plans 7 triples in her FS, too. Bradie shouldn’t have been getting higher PCS than her before, so if that’s changing, then good, it should. Mariah is a good PCS skater and has the potential to get sky high PCS even with international judges, that’s her strength.
Bradie is much better in person than on a monitor/TV. She is very very fast. (probably her height helps), so her PCS scores internationally are generally quite high and I don't think it is just pressure from the USF. Speed has a definite affect on PCS. I prefer Mariah, but after seeing Bradie in person I appreciate her apeal.

Mariah does do 7 triples, but she only does one 3-3 combination. So her BV is about 2/3 points behind Bradie's BV, which does matter in international competitions.( because the two 3-3s mean Bradie can do an extra 2A) I suspect that the USF is pushing Mariah because Bradie and Alysa have changed coaches and will need time to adjust. ( it is evident they aren't at their best right now/ which is normal after a coaching change) They want to go with a stable competitor, and Mariah probably seems like the best skater to bet on this year. In the end, Bradie still won the competition.

I am quite excited about Amber. I have always liked her skating (although not her posture) and despite the issue with the axel in the short (not uncommon from competitors practicing a 3A) she looks a lot better this year.

Karen is a beautiful skater, but she really struggles to rotate her beautiful jumps. I am not sure she will ever be able to fix that issue.