2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I liked Kolyada's FS much more in the test skates. He didn't skate to the music today and he was boring a little bit.
Aliev did great after the injury. It was a good competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mozalev was super impressive - that quad flip was a thing of beauty.

Random question, was that the first ever quad flip done out of a 3-turn? Seems like everyone does them out of mohawks.

Nice to see Mikhail back - even with silly errors, there's a ton of refinement to his overall skating. The programs are a bit of a snooze, but both have potential.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Random question, was that the first ever quad flip done out of a 3-turn? Seems like everyone does them out of mohawks.
The first ever quad flip was actually done out of a 3-turn (by Shoma... I know his takeoffs are kind of weird but it was ISU-ratified at least). Shoma started out doing them with a 3-turn - not sure if he's changed the entry since then. Also, Trusova's quad flip last year. Can't remember which entry Scherbakova used. Nathan Chen tried a FO3 entry in one of the ISP comps but it didn't look very comfortable for him, seems he's reverted to BO3-FIMo.

3rd Russian Cup stage was a good one for Senior Men. Yay for Kolyada and Mozalev :hap10:Also it's good to see Aliev again after a long break, hope his back is holding up alright!
I cracked up seeing Ilya Yablokov casually munching a sponsored ice cream stick in the KnC after his free, proving those things really aren't just replicas :p He's grown a lot, Viktoria looks a lot shorter sitting beside him :eek:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I cracked up seeing Ilya Yablokov casually munching a sponsored ice cream stick in the KnC after his free, proving those things really aren't just replicas :p
That's so awesome I haven't managed to watch the men yet, but this makes me smile. Great sense of humour there, plus after such physical exertion an ice cream is warranted. :biggrin:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
That's so awesome I haven't managed to watch the men yet, but this makes me smile. Great sense of humour there, plus after such physical exertion an ice cream is warranted. :biggrin:
Yeah Ilya's a funny one, I remember his eyebrow wiggle at RusNats :p Guess Butsaeva doesn't subscribe to that theory of a few hundred grammes messing up jumps - or Ilya's metabolism is high enough that it doesn't matter :LOL:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aww, almost don’t mind being spoiled with this news. So happy for Kutovoy, cannot wait to see his FS tonight.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah, my mom already sent me an email, then called separately to explain how Kutovoy’s Gavroche needs to go to the Golden collection of figure skating along with Valieva’s Girl on the Ball. I expect a pigeon to make it any minute now. So, excuse me while I’ll go arrange that 😂

but, yup, this program deserves every accolade. I was in love with it last year, love it even more with 3As, and if Kutovoy doesn’t represent Russia in Junior Worlds, should they happen, the world is going to be robbed.

in other news, Vetlugin left the ice alone. Watching him is already an extreme sport on its own.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jr Men's was wild... After the SP I thought my two faves would only manage top 5 at most with a lot of luck, but they exceeded my expectations :love2: Will come back later to gush so as not to create spoilers for Lariko :p
Indeed those Junior Men sure like jumping around when it comes to placements. Matvei totally nailed his FS though, I think he was the only one to get a level 4 step sequence, good on him!

Sad for Maksim A who dropped off the podium though. :( Also is his costume one from last season or something? He didn't look like any Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Indeed those Junior Men sure like jumping around when it comes to placements. Matvei totally nailed his FS though, I think he was the only one to get a level 4 step sequence, good on him!

Sad for Maksim A who dropped off the podium though. :( Also is his costume one from last season or something? He didn't look like any Sherlock Holmes I've ever seen!
Yes, Avtushenko’s short was really nice... I was sad to see him lose his free...

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I think he got level 3 for his LP (it's the SP step sequence that usually gets level 4). I get the impression that hitting StSq4 is rarer in the free than the short, especially for men. Not sure if it's intentional or not - you can lose levels if you don't hit the criteria (e.g. unclean turns, difficult body positions not fully attained) but sometimes the step sequence isn't choreographed to include those features anyway... So either the guys are tired and fudge their steps, or it's a deliberate move to conserve energy for the other elements in the programme.
FYI Kolyada, Mozalev, Lezheev (!!) and Kutovoi (!!) were the only Sr/Jr men here to get level 4 steps in the long :D

But yeah, pleased as punch to see Matvei take another gold :) Close podium though - hope he and Kutovoi continue working on their jumps, cos I've seen rapid improvement from guys who I vaguely remember being below them at Junior Nationals (Golubev, Dikidzhi).

Anyway, very happy with all Sr and Jr Men's podiums at this cup stage!!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think he got level 3 for his LP (it's the SP step sequence that usually gets level 4). I get the impression that hitting StSq4 is rarer in the free than the short, especially for men. Not sure if it's intentional or not - you can lose levels if you don't hit the criteria (e.g. unclean turns, difficult body positions not fully attained) but sometimes the step sequence isn't choreographed to include those features anyway... So either the guys are tired and fudge their steps, or it's a deliberate move to conserve energy for the other elements in the programme.
FYI Kolyada, Mozalev, Lezheev (!!) and Kutovoi (!!) were the only Sr/Jr men here to get level 4 steps in the long :D

But yeah, pleased as punch to see Matvei take another gold :) Close podium though - hope he and Kutovoi continue working on their jumps, cos I've seen rapid improvement from guys who I vaguely remember being below them at Junior Nationals (Golubev, Dikidzhi).

Anyway, very happy with all Sr and Jr Men's podiums at this cup stage!!
Kutovoy is coming of age, so fingers crossed he could increase his jumping kit. Vetlugin seems to have his jumps, but they just come and go...

Both Golubev and Dikidji looked great as well, so yup, pretty cool.felt bad for Golubev too.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Nikolay Kolesnikov, 11 years, quad Salchov in the Rippon position

#MadeInKhrustalniy

Last edited: