2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 600 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Looking back at it, the main theme in this year's Rostelecom Cup was a great victory to St. Petersburg. In ladies and, I suppose, overall. The big winners here in ladies were Tuktik, Gulyakova, Nugu and maybe even Kiibus (Tallinn is close to St. Petersburg). But will Moscow bounce back at Nationals? Back with a vengeance? One would expect so.

Suggestion for a competition: I would love to see an olympics style team competition of Moscow vs. St. Petersburg. All 4 disciplines like in the olympics. This spring please! I don't think that there will be that many competitions coming up.
I love that idea! Saint Petersburg vs Moscow. What an event that would be!!:yahoo:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Looking back at it, the main theme in this year's Rostelecom Cup was a great victory to St. Petersburg. In ladies and, I suppose, overall. The big winners here in ladies were Tuktik, Gulyakova, Nugu and maybe even Kiibus (Tallinn is close to St. Petersburg). But will Moscow bounce back at Nationals? Back with a vengeance? One would expect so.

Suggestion for a competition: I would love to see an olympics style team competition of Moscow vs. St. Petersburg. All 4 disciplines like in the olympics. This spring please! I don't think that there will be that many competitions coming up.
Bolstered by Anna, Kamila, Daria, Maiia? No way :biggrin:

Moscow vs. SPB? Just remember there is figure skating outside those cities as well. And Perm has currently some very promising young pairs, for instance.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Off topic

Just a reminder to those who are interested in the Ladies Japanese/Korean competition and NHK GP Japan.

It starts at 7:15 CET tomorrow morning
That is 01:15 Eastern US time.

This will be the first competition this season to show what the Russian Ladies are really facing...if there will be a Worlds this year.
Kihira and Miyahara won't be there though...

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Off topic

Just a reminder to those who are interested in the Ladies Japanese/Korean competition and NHK GP Japan.

That is 13:15 Eastern US time.

This will be the first competition this season to show what the Russian Ladies are really facing...if there will be a Worlds this year.
NHK ladies should be at least on pair with them, that is what i'm expecting. To be fair, Rostelecom was not the best 'show' of the Russian ladies this time, they could have done better.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
NHK ladies should be at least on pair with them, that is what i'm expecting. To be fair, Rostelecom was not the best 'show' of the Russian ladies this time, they could have done better.
Yeah, in terms of (unofficial) SB scores this year, I am sure we will see a few good performances and scores here...

readernick

Medalist
Yeah, in terms of (unofficial) SB scores this year, I am sure we will see a few good performances and scores here...
I have some doubts, because Japanese domestic judges are known for underscoring their own skaters They are also very strict about technical calls. I don't think you will see the kind of crazy domestic inflation that was visible at Skate America and Rostelecom.

However, in terms of performances, it should be a good competition. 3 skaters will be attending 3As. Mana Kawabe in SP and LP (if she sticks with planned content) and Wakaba/ Young in the LP.

Magill

Record Breaker
Off topic

That is 13:15 Eastern US time.

Thank you very much for this information but are you sure you have calculated the time zones right? Early morning in Europe is usually deep night in New York and not a lunchtime. Shouldn't it be the other way round:

It starts at 15:15 in Japan
That is 7:15 CET tomorrow morning
That is 1:15 a.m. Eastern US time.

Just wondering :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I have some doubts, because Japanese domestic judges are known for underscoring their own skaters They are also very strict about technical calls. I don't think you will see the kind of crazy domestic inflation that was visible at Skate America and Rostelecom.

However, in terms of performances, it should be a good competition. 3 skaters will be attending 3As. Mana Kawabe in SP and LP (if she sticks with planned content) and Wakaba/ Young in the LP.
It doesn't matter. We have some great self-appointed judges around here... ;) If the Japanese judges underscores the event...I am sure we will have the "true" scores here in no time...:D

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Thank you very much for this information but are you sure you have calculated the time zones right? Early morning in Europe is usually deep night in New York and not a lunchtime. Shouldn't it be the other way round:

It starts at 15:15 in Japan
That is 7:15 CET tomorrow morning
That is 1:15 a.m. Eastern US time.

Just wondering :)
You are absolutely right! I effed it up. Your time 1:15 Eastern is of course correct.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Frankly, I expect the Japanese (and You) to do better than what we saw at Rostelecom. The Rostelecom competition just wasn't good enough. I mean, Guliakova in 3rd scoring 128 in the free and Trusova off the podium was not very good by Russian standards.

McBibus

On the Ice
Bolstered by Anna, Kamila, Daria, Maiia? No way :biggrin:

Moscow vs. SPB? Just remember there is figure skating outside those cities as well. And Perm has currently some very promising young pairs, for instance.
I would like a team competition based on skaters origin area.
Many skaters move to Moscow or SP with great sacrifices to follow their dream.
I'm much interested in those stories the a team/school competition that will just become another way for coaches to compare their egos

sparklestan

On the Ice
Ok guys...crazy idea here... (also not sure if this is the right place to post this)

The other day I was watching Russian Jr Nats on YouTube and reading the comments as I watched. In the comment section some people were discussing Russia having their own league and inviting top international skaters to compete against their athletes.
Maybe something like this could happen for Jr Worlds?
If Russia hosts and can get a few other big feds to send skaters and officials (say Japan, South Korea, and France), they can call it the “international jr challenge” or something. The big countries can send more skaters, for the ladies something like:
Russia- 10
S. Korea- 8
Japan- 7
France- 4
And 2 or 3 for the smaller countries, that way there’d be as many competitors as jr worlds. (The numbers are purely hypothetical, just off the top of my head)
The ISU would not need to be on board as this event wouldn’t count for seasons best, spots, etc; it would just be an opportunity for skaters to get to go to a big competition this season.

In reality, I doubt this would work financially, planning wise, or covid wise; however, it is fun to think about.

Vemvane

On the Ice
I would like a team competition based on skaters origin area.
So, going off the skaters with ISU biographies, Team Moscow would be Anna, Aliona and Evgenia, with juniors Anna Frolova and Anastasia Kostyuk, and Team Sverdolovsk would be Anastasiia Guliakova, with junior Maiia Khromykh.

Team Udmurtia would be Alina and Liza, Team St Petersburg would be Stanislava Konstantinova and Elizaveta Nugumanova.

Then we'd have the teams represented by a single skater. Team Ryazan would be Sasha, Team Krasnoyarsk would be Sofia Samodurova, Team Samara would be Anastasiia Gubanova, Team Tver represented by Kseniia Sinitsyna, Team Volgograd represented by Anastasia Tarakanova, Team Kazan represented by Kamila, and Team Khabarovsk represented by Daria Usacheva. Some regions would definitely need to combine!

There are also skaters whose birthplaces I don't know, because I can't find them on the ISU site: Elizaveta Osokina, Valeriia Shulskaia, for instance. And I know I've missed others. Anyway, how do we go about organising this fairly? Feel free to start tweaking the teams! 😁

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
There are also skaters whose birthplaces I don't know, because I can't find them on the ISU site: Elizaveta Osokina, Valeriia Shulskaia, for instance. And I know I've missed others. Anyway, how do we go about organising this fairly? Feel free to start tweaking the teams! 😁

Osokina is from Tatarstan, so she joins Kamila. Shulskaia is from Orenburg.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Ok guys...crazy idea here... (also not sure if this is the right place to post this)

The other day I was watching Russian Jr Nats on YouTube and reading the comments as I watched. In the comment section some people were discussing Russia having their own league and inviting top international skaters to compete against their athletes.
Maybe something like this could happen for Jr Worlds?
If Russia hosts and can get a few other big feds to send skaters and officials (say Japan, South Korea, and France), they can call it the “international jr challenge” or something. The big countries can send more skaters, for the ladies something like:
Russia- 10
S. Korea- 8
Japan- 7
France- 4
And 2 or 3 for the smaller countries, that way there’d be as many competitors as jr worlds. (The numbers are purely hypothetical, just off the top of my head)
The ISU would not need to be on board as this event wouldn’t count for seasons best, spots, etc; it would just be an opportunity for skaters to get to go to a big competition this season.

In reality, I doubt this would work financially, planning wise, or covid wise; however, it is fun to think about.
I like that idea. It could be an event (or events) of a special kind, like e.g. Japan Open.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Couple of news:

- Tuktik said in a recent interview that she'll definitely replace one of the 3A's in her FS for a 4T in time for RusNuts

- Olympic champion Tatyana Navka has opened her own skating academy; no info about the coaching team though yet

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Couple of news:

- Tuktik said in a recent interview that she'll definitely replace one of the 3A's in her FS for a 4T in time for RusNuts

- Olympic champion Tatyana Navka has opened her own skating academy; no info about the coaching team though yet

I mean, of course Liza knows her own limits better, but I would say it doesn't sound like the most optimal content strategy.

Amei

Record Breaker
I mean, of course Liza knows her own limits better, but I would say it doesn't sound like the most optimal content strategy.

Agree on both points, she knows her own limits but unless she's 100% secure in that jump its a risky gamble to sacrifice what I would bet is the triple axel combo for a quad toe that she has yet to land in competition; her increase in BV from that combination that she's fairly secure on is 9.30 points, the quad toe is 9.50 points if landed. It's not the optimal strategy, what makes sense is replacing her lowest scoring jump for the quad toe, similar to Shcherbakova last season with the quad flip that she put in place of 1 of her double axels, even if she fell on the quad flip she got about 1 point more than a landed double axel. But then again at this point of her biggest threats: Kostornaia doesn't have a quad or triple axel, Shcherbakova is recovering from pneumonia so I think at most she's going to do 1 or maybe 2 quads, Valieva I think is a 50/50 on landing her quads, and Trusova is struggling in competition, so perhaps she'll be fine. Based on what we've seen in competition so far Tuktamysheva might be able to secure a podium spot if she lands her jumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.