2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Natsulian: PLEASE be careful with the accuracy of what you post. It is clear that the video they posted on YouTube is Mia's REHEARSAL video.

Also, Mia did not post anything on Instagram saying ANYTHING about 2021 Nationals. As a Bay Area adult skater who has and continues to watch Mia grow up on the ice, I follow Mia's instragram very closely — and other adult skaters I know follow Mia's instgram closely as well — and the only thing Mia posted was a "story" showing the 4T and saying she was excited that it was "almost there."

This is how rumors and false hype get started.
I apologize. I was thinking back to her Instagram Q&A and I remember her talking about really wanting to add quads and a 3A when people asked her and she said it could be “soon” so I just presumed it would be Nationals since that’s when most skaters go for their big elements. I apologize for the misinformation, I will do better next time. Thank you for holding me accountable.

beepboop

On the Ice
Congratulations to Alysa on being added to the "Team Toyota" winter Olympic roster! Looking forward to seeing how this additional support will help her achieve her Olympic dreams :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It also comes down to the Program itself. I still think Bradie Tennel has great potential to regain her Title this year. With Alysa struggling and Mariah not having the strong programs like she did last season, I can see Bradie as the Champion.
Haven’t we only seen the programs twice? Unless I missed something.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Haven’t we only seen the programs twice? Unless I missed something.
Correct, only twice. Based on what I've seen, I have Bradie as the new champ unless Alysa can get her jumps back asap. Without her 3A she and Bradie have similar tech content and I think Bradie is stronger on the component mark. At this point, I'll be happy if Nationals even happen.

Amei

Record Breaker
It also comes down to the Program itself. I still think Bradie Tennel has great potential to regain her Title this year. With Alysa struggling and Mariah not having the strong programs like she did last season, I can see Bradie as the Champion.

I think Mariah and Bradie are on pretty equal footing or Mariah even slightly ahead of Bradie at least based on how they were scored at Skate America. Bradie is supposed to be the more technical skater than Mariah but was outscored by Mariah in the SP by 2.59 points in TES after GOEs. In the FS TES Bradie had a 7.14 point BV advantage however after GOEs she only beat Mariah by 1.17 points and Mariah had a fall.

Last edited:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Bradie is supposed to be the more technical skater than Mariah but was outscored by Mariah in the SP by 2.59 points in TES after GOEs. In the FS TES Bradie had a 7.14 point BV advantage however after GOEs she only beat Mariah by 1.17 points and Mariah had a fall
Didn’t Bradie under a bunch of stuff or at least have a few q calls? (Not a fall I know... but still points left on the table). There were things that went uncalled for sure at Skate America (or at least for someone) and other questionable calls point wise, so it’s kind of hard to base opinions off of that for me. :slink: Bradie’s jumps seem to be a lot better last year though (still some unders here and there... but height and flow wise) so that’s a little worrying but we will see I guess.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Didn’t Bradie under a bunch of stuff or at least have a few q calls? (Not a fall I know... but still points left on the table). There were things that went uncalled for sure at Skate America (or at least for someone) and other questionable calls point wise, so it’s kind of hard to base opinions off of that for me. :slink: Bradie’s jumps seem to be a lot better last year though (still some unders here and there... but height and flow wise) so that’s a little worrying but we will see I guess.
Yes, and I hope her team has used this time to address that problem.

I was just watching videos and I'm thinking it might be wise for Bradie to go back to last years SP for Nationals. She's had plenty of time to re-work it and I think it would round out her programs perfectly. Just a thought.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Kate Wang was the subject of a local feature on NBC Sports California tonight.

7:54 in length.

Her coach said in this report that next season Kate will turn senior.

(And "from Lowell" is a reference to San Francisco's Lowell High School, where Kate is a student.)
Very impressed that she has stayed in school. She seems to keep everything in perspective-good for her! I remember last year-can't remember the competition-she had a strange fall at the end of her program and she just laughed-nice that she doesn't take it all too seriously.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Correct, only twice. Based on what I've seen, I have Bradie as the new champ unless Alysa can get her jumps back asap. Without her 3A she and Bradie have similar tech content and I think Bradie is stronger on the component mark. At this point, I'll be happy if Nationals even happen.
Pretty sure they are happening. Brent sent out the email selling the cardboard cutouts.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Mariah and Bradie are on pretty equal footing or Mariah even slightly ahead of Bradie at least based on how they were scored at Skate America. Bradie is supposed to be the more technical skater than Mariah but was outscored by Mariah in the SP by 2.59 points in TES after GOEs. In the FS TES Bradie had a 7.14 point BV advantage however after GOEs she only beat Mariah by 1.17 points and Mariah had a fall.

I think they're really close and it'll be a matter of which one is better on competition day. Like mrrice, I'd give a slight edge to Bradie just because I think she has it in her to put out two steady programs when she needs it, although Mariah is capable of doing the same. I just feel, personally, that Bradie's issues stem from trying to push herself technically with harder elements and that she would be able to dial it back a bit but still get a 3 triple SP and 7 triple LP clean by January.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe they are happening. USFS has started selling the cardboard cutouts. I just hope my beautiful Gracie is there. The emotion won’t be. I cannot wait for Nashville.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I was just watching videos and I'm thinking it might be wise for Bradie to go back to last years SP for Nationals. She's had plenty of time to re-work it and I think it would round out her programs perfectly. Just a thought.
Yes!! Her short program became one of my favorites last year. I would love to see it again. If she’s 100% clean at nationals, I think she should win because even if her technical side is kind of leaving her at the moment, she’s still trying 3-3 in both programs (and sadly not many US ladies are😬).

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I just hope my beautiful Gracie is there
I hope she’s there too. Sadly, I think she was one of the worst affected US skaters (in terms of mental health and practice time). It’ll depend on if she has the training time, because if I remember right, the east coast rinks sometimes are closed down (whereas I still see people in other areas like California and Colorado consistently training right now).

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Gracie is on on Polina's podcast this week, they talk about her comeback process. She does talk about her training post Covid quarantine/approach for future seasons!

i'm currently listening and something that caught my ear was how Gracie explained her consistency and timing were always changing as her body changed and she lost weight and this was a huge reason her consistency in competition thus far hasn't been great. she would finally have a week where things felt good and then the next things were back to being off.

this interview has really gotten into the nitty gritty details of her comeback since returning, highly recommend listening.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is on on Polina's podcast this week, they talk about her comeback process. She does talk about her training post Covid quarantine/approach for future seasons!

Thank goodness. I’m literally terrified to come into the boards these days for fear that she has quit. Though I expect people would let me know.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I listened to the entire interview and really appreciated the honesty. Gracie's advice to young kids regarding body image could easily apply to adults. I have to say this has increased my respect for Gracie enormously and wish Paulina the best with this podcast in the future.
She’s a rock star. She’s everything. Don’t thick my respect for her could possibly increase.❤️🌹😍