Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held | Golden Skate

Cities Where ISU Skating Competitions Should Be Held

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
So, Saitaima was recently announced as the host of the 2023 world championships. It will be the third time in a decade that the championships will be held in this city.

I think we need more options!! Which cities would you love to see the best skaters in the world compete in.

I, for one, would love for worlds/4 Continents/Skate America to be brought to NYC! The Barclays Center is a new Ice Arena that is used for shows, but hasnā€™t been used for competition yet.

What other places around the world do you suggest?

ruga

Final Flight
I always loved audiences in Spain and Italy, they have hosted big competitions and everything went smoothly. Italy has recently hosted Worlds, so Barcelona 2024 maybe?

I do understand the appeal of Japan though. Figure skating is loved there, organisation is great and tickets are mostly sold out, so I see why ISU keeps on giving them events.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I always loved audiences in Spain and Italy, they have hosted big competitions and everything went smoothly. Italy has recently hosted Worlds, so Barcelona 2024 maybe?

I do understand the appeal of Japan though. Figure skating is loved there, organisation is great and tickets are mostly sold out, so I see why ISU keeps on giving them events.
I also loved Barcelona!

Again, nothing against Japan, I just think skating could become more widespread if there are different host cities.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I want it in Australia only so we can have nice shots of the skaters going to the beach afterwards. And several programs about Summer (assuming we ban Vivaldi for the season, because "creativity" isn't a real thing skaters care about).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I would love Worlds to be in Allentown, (PA) and I could walk (a long walk, it's true, and not as long as there was 27 inches of snow on the ground) ;).

But isn't the issue that a city needs to *bid*? and who is bidding? and who is willing to host it? and who can fill the arena?

So it will never be, sadly, a way to introduce the sport to other cities....

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, I would love Worlds to be in Allentown, (PA) and I could walk (a long walk, it's true, and not as long as there was 27 inches of snow on the ground) ;).

But isn't the issue that a city needs to *bid*? and who is bidding? and who is willing to host it? and who can fill the arena?

So it will never be, sadly, a way to introduce the sport to other cities....
This is true, but the Federations also must have influence on which cities they choose to host in and why. Plus, there are other cities that bid every year and the ISU does not pick them.

Allentown is a great place! It would definitely be an interesting championships if the USFS ever pushed for an ISU competion or Nationals to be held there

Skatesocs

Final Flight
If we're assuming the UK will do it some time in the future, I really want it to go to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, but I want them to make sure we have a live cam of each and every elite skater when they first see it announced.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
If we're assuming the UK will do it some time in the future, I really want it to go to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, but I want them to make sure we have a live cam of each and every elite skater when they first see it announced.
incredible choice šŸ˜‚

charmblade

Final Flight
Yes, anything within a few hours of Boston would work for me. :biggrin:
The new rink in Norwood is about 10 minutes away from me but I doubt there is much room for spectators. The Garden worked well in 2016 and has a subway station directly underneath, always a bonus.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
So, Saitaima was recently announced as the host of the 2023 world championships. It will be the third time in a decade that the championships will be held in this city.

I think we need more options!! Which cities would you love to see the best skaters in the world compete in.

I, for one, would love for worlds/4 Continents/Skate America to be brought to NYC! The Barclays Center is a new Ice Arena that is used for shows, but hasnā€™t been used for competition yet.

What other places around the world do you suggest?
I would like to see San Jose host Worlds.