2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info

Ella339

On the Ice
Twitter is a very bad place to be right now.
I don't know. I think fans caring about the skaters' safety and trying to make a difference by making as much noise as they can is not a bad thing.

Here's a thread enumerating all the different ways the bubble rules have been broken already: https://twitter.com/kat0nice/status/1373663615681634306 (Some don't seem that bad when you only look at the one tweet linked in the mega-thread. But all of them have some more damaging context when you click on each individual thread.)

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
It is an interesting statement. So if he had one, two or three roomates, and they are quaranteened...did he tell them about the first positive test where he continued to practice? If they are quaranteened now, with the incubation/gestation period of Covid, are there any new tests that can say that these others are not infected and shedding at the time of the comp???
Sorry, I don't really understand your post. The ISU statement is not about the Armenian male skater (sorry, I do not know his name) but about a participant - possibly Safonova of Belarus, but uncomfirmed - who is already in Stockholm. They have not released the personr's name or function at the event so we don't know when they arrived. It it possible this was the person's first test in Sweden which means he or she would have been quarantining in their room - hopefully alone - and not at today's practices. Safonova would have practiced with the Bradie, Karen, Ekaterina Kurakova, Emmy Ma and Alexandra Feigin.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't know. I think fans caring about the skaters' safety and trying to make a difference by making as much noise as they can is not a bad thing.

Here's a thread enumerating all the different ways the bubble rules have already been broken: https://twitter.com/kat0nice/status/1373663615681634306 (Some don't seem that bad when you only look at the one tweet linked in the mega-thread But all of them have some more damaging context when you click on each individual thread.)
I think noise is all they're making and I do doubt the motivation behind it all. But I respect your opinion.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Honestly, what the ISU does and how many coaches skaters have with them by the ice concerns me very little. It won't change my day for better nor for worse.

But I'm not gonna fight anyone's battles here or on Twitter.
Both of this, +1.

Skaters etc. are not babies, they are not weak, they most certainly do not need to be protected by fans (the opposite is in fact more true, in some cases!), and they have mouths and brains just like the rest of us and are perfectly capable of telling the ISU themselves if they disagree with something.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I have it the starting order groups in a spreadsheet including pairs and dance!
Updated to reflect withdrawals!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The "mask and # of coaches police" is and will be there as we expected. I don't care as long as their complaints have no effects on skaters and their teams.

I would be happy if a separate thread existed here on how many representatives from TT were at the boards and who among the Russians and other skaters and coaches broke the bubble rules. I would stay clear of that thread. But, I think, this is too much to ask.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "mask and # of coaches police" is and will be there as we expected. I don't care as long as their complaints have no effects on skaters and their teams.
The rules exist to provide fairness for all the skaters.

It's not a stretch to think that some skaters, whether singles, pairs, or dance teams, might have found it difficult to choose which coach would go. But most complied with the ISU's stated rule to bring only one. So to see a coaching team flagrantly defy the rules, which are only there for everyone's safety and for fairness and equity to all the skaters, is irksome; and it's puzzling that no one's, as yet, apparently holding people to the protocols of the event. It doesn't seem right.

But then, maybe compliance is on the honor system.

You complain of mask police. Masks, social distancing and hand-washing prevent spread of the virus and protect all the skaters and coaches. It's a no-brainer.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As I understand it, Mishin, who was able to bring 2 additional coaches (as he has 3 skaters) chose to only bring Tatiana P.

The Russian Figure Skating Fed then apparently allowed Team Crystal to bring along Sergei D, under the impression that since they were entitled to bring X number of coaches they were within their rights to do so.

Of course whether this is fair or not to the other Russian skaters is another issue... although it seems both Sergei V and Maxim T are there for T/M, but isn't it only one coach for pairs too? So I'm confused now :scratch2:

It's interesting about Yuzuru although I guess technically Brian O is there for him and Tracey is there for Jason Brown?

Although once again there could be arguments about whether it's fair (like should Tracey be required to ONLY stay with Jason? And Brian O with Yuzu? Does it depend on whether Jason and Yuzu are in the same practice group? I'm not sure they are.)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I understand it, Mishin, who was able to bring 2 additional coaches (as he has 3 skaters) chose to only bring Tatiana P.

The Russian Figure Skating Fed then apparently allowed Team Crystal to bring along Sergei D, under the impression that since they were entitled to bring X number of coaches they were within their rights to do so.

Of course whether this is fair or not to the other Russian skaters is another issue... although it seems both Sergei V and Maxim T are there, so I'm confused now :scratch2:

It's interesting about Yuzuru although I guess technically Brian O is there for him and Tracey is there for Jason Brown?

Although once again there could be arguments about whether it's fair (like should Tracey be required to ONLY stay with Jason? And Brian O with Yuzu? Does it depend on whether Jason and Yuzu are in the same practice group? I'm not sure they are.)
Everyone is going to try to sneak in more coaches. Start checking the luggage, the extra ones might be in there. Haha

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Of course whether this is fair or not to the other Russian skaters is another issue... although it seems both Sergei V and Maxim T are there for T/M, but isn't it only one coach for pairs too? So I'm confused now :scratch2:

If everyone is "in the bubble" and COVID negative, then I don't think it matters from a health perspective how many coaches are at the practices. Otherwise, "in the bubble" is meaningless.

There are points that could be made about whether this allows some skaters a competitive advantage... but that's not the same as a health concern.

Not that I particularly care, but Jason and Yuzu are not in the same group.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if the third Chinese pair actually withdrew due to the "Nebelhorn" rule for Olympics spots. If the pair missed the free skate, then China would have to re-qualify for that third spot. Based on their personal bests, missing the free skate wouldn't be a stretch.

Per the rules for 2022 OWG qualifying:
With only two Chinese pair entries at Worlds now, China still will need to send a (different) pair to Nebelhorn to compete for the third OWG spot. The pair who competes at Nebelhorn cannot be Sui/Han or Peng/Jin -- and at Nebelhorn, only three federations can earn a pair spot for OWG.

I cannot rule out your theory, but it does not seem to me as if it would be a foolproof strategy.
It would be unnecessarily sacrificing one of only two possible pathways (neither with a guaranteed outcome) to three pair spots for China.
(In other words: In terms of strategy for OWG spots, China would have nothing to lose -- and something to gain -- by having its third pair compete at Worlds. Assuming the pair is not injured or ill.)

(The numbers of 2022 OWG spots available via Nebelhorn: six for men; six for ladies; four for dance; three for pairs.)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been consistent in concern for skaters' health and for enforcement of rules. If that means I'm "making noise", so be it. This is not Twitter and I do not really care what people are doing on Twitter. If someone has an issue with what someone says on Twitter, maybe it would be better stated there?

I have not been trolling, I have not been disrespectful, I have not concentrated on a particular country. If it makes someone feel better to say those things, well, fine, I guess, but it makes no sense :scratch2:

And if wanting skaters and coaches to wear masks (yay Nathan! yay Yuzu! You know, those no-good losers /s) makes me the police, then give me a badge, because I'm proud of it. (y) Skaters are subject to the same health rules as everyone else. No need to baby them by exempting them🤷‍♀️

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I was so looking forward to hanging out with you guys again after taking a year off to deal with the dumpster fire of 2020, but I just can't fit it around my schedule. I can't afford to turn away clients during spring break rush, not after the salon being shut down for so long last year 😭

Grand Prix 2021, when the summer rush is over, I'll come back. Until then, I wish I could be...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was so looking forward to hanging out with you guys again after taking a year off to deal with the dumpster fire of 2020, but I just can't fit it around my schedule. I can't afford to turn away clients during spring break rush, not after the salon being shut down for so long last year 😭

Grand Prix 2021, when the summer rush is over, I'll come back. Until then, I wish I could be...
Good luck ruffled grouse. You have been missed!

pearly

Record Breaker
Per the rules for 2022 OWG qualifying:
With only two Chinese pair entries at Worlds now, China still will need to send a (different) pair to Nebelhorn to compete for the third OWG spot. The pair who competes at Nebelhorn cannot be Sui/Han or Peng/Jin -- and at Nebelhorn, only three federations can earn a pair spot for OWG.

I cannot rule out your theory, but it does not seem like it would be a foolproof strategy to me.
It would be unnecessarily sacrificing one of only two possible pathways (neither with a guaranteed outcome) to three pair spots for China.
(In other words: In terms of strategy for OWG spots, China would have nothing to lose -- and something to gain -- by having its third pair compete at Worlds. Assuming the pair is not injured or ill.)

(The number of 2022 OWG spots available via Nebelhorn: six for men; six for ladies; four for dance; three for pairs.)
Hm, really? I thought Nebelhorn spots were only for countries who had not qualified at previous worlds, meaning you couldn't earn a 2nd or 3rd spot there. Is it different this year? Or has it always been like that and I remember wrong?

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Rika also had both Lambiel and Hamada at her practice. Yeah it's only 2 and not 3, but... she doesn't have 3 coaches. How many skaters actually have 3 coaches regularly? If they did, I'm sure their feds would have found a way for them all to be there. I care a lot about masking and distancing, but the number of coaches thing feels petty and pointless.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Well, Stephane probably came with Shoma and Hamada with Rika. Because there are so many coaching overlaps, skaters are probably sharing coaches when they're not practicing. At least the number of people inside the bubble isn't really more than it should be, but now there's the problem of more people around the rink. :shrug:

Ziotic

Medalist
Well, Stephane probably came with Shoma and Hamada with Rika. Because there are so many coaching overlaps, skaters are probably sharing coaches when they're not practicing. At least the number of people inside the bubble isn't really more than it should be, but now there's the problem of more people around the rink. :shrug:
I think people are more salty about TT bringing more coaches than skaters.
In all the other cases; Hamada, Lambiel, Orser, etc they all have more students. Hamada has Satoko, Rika. Lambiel has Denis, Rika, Shoma. Orser has Hanyu and Cha. While TT only have two skaters.