Kamila Valieva | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Kamila Valieva

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That's funny, the same quote stuck out to me and I posted it in the RLT before looking here as I should have. I will now do penance by trying to say something else interesting about the interview.

I like Kamila's humility, but in two specific ways. First, she is humble by recognizing herself as part of a tradition: as soon as she found out she was skating Bolero she went and studied all the past performers who had done it before her. Second, she is humble while recognizing that she will grow as an artist. While she gives great credit to Eteri and Daniil for creating the programs, she recognizes that she could have this ability herself in the future: "I am not yet involved in the process of choosing music or a plot." [Geez, I hope that's actually in the Russian.]

A good mix of deference and confidence. Refreshing compared to the rest of the crazy kids these days! [Grumble, grumble.]

sinus

On the Ice
J6qrlPZ2wls.jpg

melsh

Rinkside
Kamila was super wonderful at the show, everything in her skating is beyond perfection, I've never seen anything like that. she combined the innocence of her junior programs with the maturity she has acquired this year. they almost look like new programs, and she feels them so much. watching her is a therapeutic experience.

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I'm not quite sure why, but this makes me very happy. Here it is from a fan cam on the tube in case anyone else is like me and doesn't have any social media: https://youtu.be/ce5yGYnGUgU?t=142 [Cued to the spin.]

Kamila joins the ranks of Michelle and Satoko! I kind of love how she does the clockwise spin first and you think "yeah, that's pretty darn good" -- and then she does the counterclockwise spin right after it and you think: "oh yeah, I almost forgot, this is one of the greatest spinners ever." The power of contrast.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Here and on their last show she’s using a different, more complex entry into her 4T. The fact that it’s being done in darkness is crazy. I think next season if she’s going to start doing her 4T with this entry, it would help her get an even higher GOE. Complex entry giant rippon 4T. How could one not give it a +5?

Kamila has shown such big improvements in her mental strength as well. I remember how nervous she was on her first JGPs, how she lost a combo in her short at JGP in France. Looking back, she’s come such a long way. Those days were much easier than what she’s facing today, and she’s still managing to do so well despite increasing pressure.
There’s so much stress on her: not only the weight of the Olympics put on her by Rusfed, but also those crazy people wishing her to fall (and also actually screaming that to a 14 year old...). Despite all that she kept improving competition to competition, she looks more confident each time, and I hope she’ll look even stronger next season.

macy

Record Breaker
it is absolutely INSANE how effortless she makes this look. like this is a QUAD, this is not supposed to look that easy Kamila!!! :laugh:

this is why people think figure skating is easy- they don't understand how difficult it is to make something so freaking hard look that beautiful!

it also blows my mind how easy and simple her triples look now, probably the easiest i have ever seen. they are like doubles to her. just wow.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
it is absolutely INSANE how effortless she makes this look. like this is a QUAD, this is not supposed to look that easy Kamila!!! :laugh:

this is why people think figure skating is easy- they don't understand how difficult it is to make something so freaking hard look that beautiful!

it also blows my mind how easy and simple her triples look now, probably the easiest i have ever seen. they are like doubles to her. just wow.
That's aslo why I like to watch even the "weaker" groups in competitions, because it reminds you how difficult the technical part of skating is. People are often pichy, complain about "imperfections" and all, but it should be always reminded that a "mistake on something so easy" comes from how demanding it is.