Jason Brown | Page 834 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A picture posted a few days ago shows Yuzu with Tracy and Brian. Is it a WTT practice photo? If so then TSL was wrong about Tracy not going.

this one: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNjn6KyJeIo/?igshid=1m6v92bfxbvpb

The customized lanyards from Stockholm Worlds appear to be what Tracy and Brian are wearing in the photo, so I agree with kan01 and Bookseller.

From what I have seen here and there, plain solid-colored cords seem to be what came with WTT credentials this year.

I like Jason's flag mask. 😷

Last edited:

Zaki

On the Ice
I saw that photo before. It's from Worlds. :)

And Joey Russell is there with Alison. So far he is the only coach from TCC we know being at WTT for sure.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’ve been wondering why his SP scores have been several points lower than his PB in 2019 (96.81) and why hasn’t gotten a new PB with this program, bc everyone raves about it and his skating. Is it because judges now take what he does for granted? Is there now a cap because he’s still doing a SP sans quad? Is he not skating quite as well? Is it because both the 2020 and 2021 seasons were only partial? I have no insight, but it is something I’ve noticed.

I thought he skated well today but he did strike me as a bit nervous - maybe he was holding back a bit.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I’ve been wondering why his SP scores have been several points lower than his PB in 2019 (96.81) and why hasn’t gotten a new PB with this program, bc everyone raves about it and his skating. Is it because judges now take what he does for granted? Is there now a cap because he’s still doing a SP sans quad? Is he not skating quite as well? Is it because both the 2020 and 2021 seasons were only partial? I have no insight, but it is something I’ve noticed.

I thought he skated well today but he did strike me as a bit nervous - maybe he was holding back a bit.
Been wondering the same. I think maybe Love is a B*tch looks better live and the judges liked it more. Personally I like it more than Sinnerman. Or maybe he's not at his peak in this shortened season. Also, been thinking that maybe this season and from now on judges have been instructed to not be very generous with points overall for all athletes resulting in the two point, or more, difference you mention.
But the score was lower than expected at Nationals too, PCS wise, so I don't know. Perhaps judges see some tiny errors that maybe we don't see.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I think it's a combination of politics and the lack of a quad. But the program is incredibly difficult and very fast and it's hard to dot the i's and cross the t's. What struck me today is that his PCs were lower than his tech. By quite a lot. I anticipate that this program will grow and be fine tuned when he competes it next year. Technically, this is the most difficult short he's had in a very long time. When he adds a quad to it, and he will at some point, I think the scoring overall will increase. He scored well on his 3A and overall his PCs were good and his GOEs were generally good, but one judge was hosing him. He will have to incorporate a quad into the short next season for that score to go up, I think. He can score over 100 on that short.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice

I actually thought he maybe looked a bit tired.? It’s quite a tight turnaround from Worlds and he hasn’t really had the opportunity this season to figure out how to train and peak with all the cancelled competitions.

I also think there’s been some smaller errors in his SP in international comps - his fly sit didn’t have the same height today as usual, and I saw a slipped edge in his step sequence (that he covered up well ofc). His axel has also had a bit of a tilt and been a bit scratchy this season.

Some of his GOEs haven’t quite been as high as they have - I remember his TES hitting 50 at Worlds 19, so that’s really where he’s losing those two points from. But considering he’s only had two outings on this (whilst compared to 2019, he’d shown it at least six times - ACI, SCI, IDF, Golden Spin, Nats AND 4CC) so hopefully with more outings we’ll see it at its best.

I honestly don’t think a quad in the short is a good idea for Jason. I don’t think he’s consistent enough and he can make up for the fall in the free, but it could absolutely bury him if he fell in the SP. It’s clear the current strategy of a faultless SP is working and keeping him in contention. In this Olympic season coming he needs to build his momentum and he needs to skate clean. Not the season for risky decisions I think.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I actually thought he maybe looked a bit tired.? It’s quite a tight turnaround from Worlds and he hasn’t really had the opportunity this season to figure out how to train and peak with all the cancelled competitions.

I also think there’s been some smaller errors in his SP in international comps - his fly sit didn’t have the same height today as usual, and I saw a slipped edge in his step sequence (that he covered up well ofc). His axel has also had a bit of a tilt and been a bit scratchy this season.

Some of his GOEs haven’t quite been as high as they have - I remember his TES hitting 50 at Worlds 19, so that’s really where he’s losing those two points from. But considering he’s only had two outings on this (whilst compared to 2019, he’d shown it at least six times - ACI, SCI, IDF, Golden Spin, Nats AND 4CC) so hopefully with more outings we’ll see it at its best.

I honestly don’t think a quad in the short is a good idea for Jason. I don’t think he’s consistent enough and he can make up for the fall in the free, but it could absolutely bury him if he fell in the SP. It’s clear the current strategy of a faultless SP is working and keeping him in contention. In this Olympic season coming he needs to build his momentum and he needs to skate clean. Not the season for risky decisions I think.
All good points. And I appreciate your picking up on those minor errors because they could explain his lower GOE on the st sq, spin, and 3A - which were things I was wondering about particularly. I’ll have to rewatch the program. I agree with you that quad in SP is not a great idea at the moment.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, y'all! Interrupting the WTT talk to let you guys know that Jason will be hosting an online event for ITNY on May 6th, called "Pivoting Through the Pandemic" also featuring Elladj Balde, Adam Rippon, Doug Haw and Kaitlyn Weaver. The talk is free but you can donate $125 or more to attend a discussion with the artists.

We are thrilled to announce that Jason Brown will be our host for this broadcast, and we are looking forward to the participation of these wonderful champion skaters: Kaitlyn Weaver, Elladj Balde with special appearance by Adam Rippon. The broadcast will include 2 new repertory pieces and short videos reflecting how we have creatively weathered the pandemic.
Thursday, May 6, 2021

8:00 P.M. ET - Free streaming of "Pivoting Through The Pandemic."

8:45 P.M. ET - Discussion with the artists - starts at $125

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We all want Jason to get the 100 plus he deserves for this magnificent program. But the judges, alas...

Still, third after the short is pretty dang good :clap: And I feel fairly comfortable saying that no matter the scores, folks will be watching and rewatching Sinnerman many moons from now. It's just that good, and Jason is just that good skating it.

❤️

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I totally agree.
Maybe two quads in the free, but the short is too risky. Now, if he lands it clean a couple of times, he might add it in the short. I remember him saying he wants to add it in the short, but strategies could change.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have a feeling - which may not be shared by many - that judges will always hold Jason down until he gets a consistent quad or two or three. For many that seems to be the future of figure skating and someone who doesn't produce that should be/could be/may be left behind and not considered medal material. When I look at Hanyu and Nathan's skating skills (as well as others) - and by skills I mean their interpretation of music, their transitions, their lines, their posture, their flow on the ice, what they do with their arms - Jason should always have higher PCS scores. I don't think that will ever happen though and it's sad. One type of jump shouldn't have so much influence to dictate how a skater is judged or perceived. It should be the whole package. And I suppose this opinion dates me, but it's the type of figure skating I appreciate. I've knocked Dick Button for years for saying a spiral is more important than a triple jump but it appears I'm hovering in that same school of thought. It's interesting to pose the question that if technical and performance were on an ever par, what would it do to some of the medal recipients......(just saying.....)

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I'm hoping Jason will buck the trend of getting a V spin in his free skate tomorrow. It's been two on the trot now, and with the wonky flying sit in his SP today, it's making me a litttttttle bit concerned. I'm sure Jason and his team know he can't afford to throw valuable points away, and for someone like Jason who is renowned for excellent spins, it really does show up when they're a little bit below par. I do think Sinnerman is probably his most physically demanding programme, and he's still finding the right energy balance, but he really needs those elements to be at the highest quality he can get.