Jason Brown | Page 835 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I’ve been wondering why his SP scores have been several points lower than his PB in 2019 (96.81) and why hasn’t gotten a new PB with this program, bc everyone raves about it and his skating. Is it because judges now take what he does for granted? Is there now a cap because he’s still doing a SP sans quad? Is he not skating quite as well? Is it because both the 2020 and 2021 seasons were only partial? I have no insight, but it is something I’ve noticed.

I thought he skated well today but he did strike me as a bit nervous - maybe he was holding back a bit.
I didn’t think Jason looked nervous today.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Silly thought for the day, now that I've seen Sinnerman with an admittedly limited audience, maybe more than once;)

I never imagined clapping during the program. Of course, it's rhythmic, but maybe because the tone is so intense, it just never occurred to me there would be clapping.

I think I like it. :)

Last edited:

sworddance21

On the Ice
Watching Sinnerman again today, I was struck by all the little details. I pick up more each time I see the program. It's truly jam packed and brilliant. I'm a Horton technique trained dancer and o me, Rohene's incorporation is stunning, and Jason's embodiment of the quality is exquisite. Seeing it back to back with Kevin, who I also think of as a dancer on ice, I was really struck by how much deeper Jason's choreo is and how much more he seems to truly embody the movement than any one else. I go back to Tracey "Oh, Jason. Oh boy, you are so special."

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Well, Jason did struggle with this FS this whole season, but I'm sure he'll slay next season with SL. I'm glad he delivered when it counted at Worlds. The WTT is not a very, very big deal in the skating world I hear.
Can't wait for next season. Nebelhorn should be intense. I'm already excited for Jason (and Nebelhorn). On a brighter side, he did land the quad < which is better than popping, falling or <<, so congrats to that, he's getting used to standing on one leg in competition and it's a big step forward. I'm glad and grateful he got the opportunity to try the quad in real competition again. He needed it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Standing up on the quad is good. :hap10:I do wish he had had a somewhat cleaner skate, and I think Slaughter suffers in comparison to Sinnerman, but what wouldn’t?

(I wish my brain had picked another day for waking me up on five hours of sleep, even if I did get to see Jason:))

and did people see the story where Jason bought personalized water bottles for his teammates? (too tired to link) He should just be the permanent team captain for WTT.:biggrin:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Haven’t seen the skate but heard how it went down. Honestly the standing on the quad is a big achievement. A pop and a fall is a shame, and it’s annoying that the segments count individually as there wasn’t much between the placements. Had Jason landed the lutz-eu-salchow, he could probably have beat Kevin and been in fourth.
I do wonder if the lack of coaching had an impact (needing Tracy to calm him down for the FS), and I also wonder about the impact of these two competitions in close proximity especially as he is getting older. Also I think SL will just be a better fit for the FS as it gives him time to breathe. He has to go clean as a whistle to get his points so as good as Slaughter is, I think he expends too much energy between elements which impacts his GOE.
Is there a gala? I want to see melancholy again!!

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I do wish he had had a somewhat cleaner skate.
Yeah, it felt a lot like Nationals. Good SP, not so good FS. He's had trouble with the second 3A in every competition, even at Worlds it was shaky. And I don't know what happened to the 3Lz, he's been so consistent with that sequence in the past. Maybe being without Tracy affected him.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Glad he stood up on the quad, even if it wasn’t quite as good a landing as at Worlds, and glad he acquitted himself respectably if not brilliantly. I actually think putting out the quad reasonably well under the circumstances (no coach, probably undertrained, dealing with a lot of time zone changes in past month) should be good for his confidence.

Honestly, though, I will be glad to see the end of this program. It has some cool stuff in it and I like how he handles the choreo. But it doesn’t have a lot of breathing room so it may not be the ideal program for him to introduce a quad. It kinda feels like a “let’s challenge Jason to do something different” program rather than a program he really connects to. I’m hoping Sinnerman and Schindler’s List + 4S is the right mix for next season!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Glad he stood up on the quad, even if it wasn’t quite as good a landing as at Worlds, and glad he acquitted himself respectably if not brilliantly. I actually think putting out the quad reasonably well under the circumstances (no coach, probably undertrained, dealing with a lot of time zone changes in past month) should be good for his confidence.

Honestly, though, I will be glad to see the end of this program. It has some cool stuff in it and I like how he handles the choreo. But it doesn’t have a lot of breathing room so it may not be the ideal program for him to introduce a quad. It kinda feels like a “let’s challenge Jason to do something different” program rather than a program he really connects to. I’m hoping Sinnerman and Schindler’s List + 4S is the right mix for next season!
I can’t remember if it was TSL who said it, but I think this has been a good tactic - he’s pushed himself in performance with this piece and tried a different style, so now no one will complain when he’s goes back to the more lyrical Schindler’s List next season. Had he done a more lyrical style this season I think there would be complaints of him sticking to the same thing. Now he can go back to SL and it will be a breath of fresh air (and also I think a really nice counterpoint to the very lively Sinnerman SP)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I can’t remember if it was TSL who said it, but I think this has been a good tactic - he’s pushed himself in performance with this piece and tried a different style, so now no one will complain when he’s goes back to the more lyrical Schindler’s List next season. Had he done a more lyrical style this season I think there would be complaints of him sticking to the same thing. Now he can go back to SL and it will be a breath of fresh air (and also I think a really nice counterpoint to the very lively Sinnerman SP)
I think you’re right that it was TSL and I agree!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Jason had been called for a fully rotated quad, I wouldn't care if he came in 12th at this comp :biggrin:

Which of course as Jason fans we don't necessarily care about a quad, except we care about Jason, so we do care. ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Can I just say about the Simon saying he let the team down thing: I do think it was kind of inappropriate. I cannot recall Mark Hanretty or any other commentator/article that said “Vincent [or Boyang] let his team / country down by failing to make the FS at Worlds” - and that was far more consequential. Moreover, I can’t recall anyone scolding Han Yan for not placing higher or praising Jason and saying what a great team player he was for stepping into the breach at Worlds. It would be one thing if that kind of commentary is usual. But I don’t think it’s done much.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Can I just say about the Simon saying he let the team down thing: I do think it was kind of inappropriate. I cannot recall Mark Hanretty or any other commentator/article that said “Vincent [or Boyang] let his team / country down by failing to make the FS at Worlds” - and that was far more consequential. Moreover, I can’t recall anyone scolding Han Yan for not placing higher or praising Jason and saying what a great team player he was for stepping into the breach at Worlds. It would be one thing if that kind of commentary is usual. But I don’t think it’s done much.
I agree. I actually literally had that thought about Vincent because he did cost the US actual real spots in competition, but I didn't voice it because it was mean, and he (Vincent) obviously didn't intend for that to happen. It's not trying to wrap skaters in bubble wrap and pretending they did fine, but these are (mostly) adults, and they know when they didn't skate their best. Jason knows that wasn't great. He knows that has cost his team points. He knows it's not a great showing for him. He's captain of Team USA so of course he wants to lead by example and put out a good performance for the team and I'm sure he'll be gutted that it didn't work out.
The comment really bothered me - it wasn't a great performance by Jason's standards, he knows that, we know that, we don't need a commentator adding fuel to the fire.
I have a eurosport subscription so I'm about to go and watch the replay with the other Eurosport commentator (Chris Howarth), and see what he had to say.

edit: Chris much more complimentary. Acknowledged technical difficulties but full of compliments for his spins, steps, performance, transitions and artistry. And in my opinion, couched the impact on the standings better "not great news for Team USA" - which I think is a fairer statement.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you @Tavi... and @fzztsimmons. The more I think about it, the more I think it was just lazy commenting from Simon.

This is not the Super Bowl and Jason did not drop a ball that cost his team the championship. For an event that only one country appears to have taken completely seriously ;) the remark makes no sense. It shows no knowledge of the WTT or even figure skating. The "one size fits all" commentary does not work.:scratch2:

He wasn't "keeping it real", he was just babbling. :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Okay you guys, now for a complete change of subject:

This is an absolutely great interview that Scott Hamilton did with Brian and Tracy last May. It’s about an hour and well worth a listen. They all go way back and mostly talk about their careers with a very brief mention of Javi and Yuzu. Kori Ade appears briefly at the end (this interview was for her Sharp4Sports program) but no discussion of Jason (except oblique reference to Brian and Tracy being at 2022 Nats in Nashville). El you especially have to listen bc they talk about Toller a few times. 🤗

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Haven’t seen the skate but heard how it went down. Honestly the standing on the quad is a big achievement. A pop and a fall is a shame, and it’s annoying that the segments count individually as there wasn’t much between the placements. Had Jason landed the lutz-eu-salchow, he could probably have beat Kevin and been in fourth.
I do wonder if the lack of coaching had an impact (needing Tracy to calm him down for the FS), and I also wonder about the impact of these two competitions in close proximity especially as he is getting older. Also I think SL will just be a better fit for the FS as it gives him time to breathe. He has to go clean as a whistle to get his points so as good as Slaughter is, I think he expends too much energy between elements which impacts his GOE.
Is there a gala? I want to see melancholy again!!
Yes there is a gala on Sunday. Not sure about times. It will be on Peacock.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was up and watching this morning. Jason missing the Lutz was shocking. And the popped 3A. I think Jason was tired, I think he misses having a coach. No one was perfect, but Yuzu was struggling also. Not having coaches is a big deal, even in a not very serious competition. It's about the skater's mental health and feeling of accomplishment. So I think both Yuzu and Jason were struggling a bit from that and the back-to-back skates. They gave the women a day in between, but no one else.

There were lovely parts to the program, and the fall on the lutz was a costly fluke. But like Simon and Garfunkle, I don't think Jason completely connected with this program. He gave it his all in a very difficult season, but it wasn't very Jason. He got the Gene Kelly part perfectly, but he didn't get the Slaughter character internalized or into the skating. Schindler's List means more to Jason and he had deep feelings for the content. It's a better fit. I do think that he can take Sinnerman to new heights and also Schindler's List. I think that Slaughter is at a dead end.

I honestly think Jason did his best under the circumstances and so did everyone else. I wish Jason's skate had gone better, but it's an end for this season and he'll fight his way through next season and show everyone what he's got.

As for Simon, he's not a good commentator and that's that. He's not really that knowledgeable. He reads what's in front of him and rest is just noise. Mark was absolutely great. I basically didn't listen to Simon at all, and fortunately missed that obnoxious remark or I might have waked everyone up with my annoyance.

Onward and upward to next season!