2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 75 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@BlissfulSynergy, since the Olys are next season, skaters haven’t had as many opportunities to compete as usual, and there was US$1 million in prize money (I think Team USA gets $180,000 for taking silver, meaning each athlete earns $18,000 if it’s split equally) I can see why Karen and others wanted to go this year. I also think that with the upcoming Olys / lack of comp opportunities this year, athletes may have treated WTT a bit more seriously than in the past. All just guesses on my part.

Even better news of $21,250 per U.S. skater, I believe?
The total prize for the second-place team was $170,000, to be split among eight skaters.
(IIRC from past editions of WTT, USFS has chosen not to take the cut for federations that the ISU allows.)

For U.S. skaters (and others), I think it also was of real benefit to compete in front of a live audience. I don't mean just the enjoyment of feeling the supportive energy of the crowd.
I mean also that skaters once again needed to give performances that would "connect" with the whole crowd, not only the judging panel. And that they once again experienced the "pressure" of the eyes of the crowd.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I know this is way too early to say but are there any promising young skaters for next quad?

I'm asking because the current top ladies are on the older side (for figure skating) so may want to retire after the Olympic season but the only new contender since 17/18 season is Alysa.

katymay

Medalist
I know this is way too early to say but are there any promising young skaters for next quad?

I'm asking because the current top ladies are on the older side (for figure skating) so may want to retire after the Olympic season but the only new contender since 17/18 season is Alysa.
Kanon, who was 2nd at juniors this year. The girl who won Novice (I don't remember her name) was also solid. Haley out of Florida. (who disappeared halfway through the season-injury?)Considering the talent in South Korea, Japan and of course Russia, I would say we are losing ground.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If anyone has a link to wtt where I could see Bradie's LP. If so, I would be very appreciative if you could post it. Thank you in advance

Steinbeck

Rinkside

I'm asking because the current top ladies are on the older side (for figure skating) so may want to retire after the Olympic season but the only new contender since 17/18 season is Alysa
Kanon, who was 2nd at juniors this year. The girl who won Novice (I don't remember her name) was also solid. Haley out of Florida. (who disappeared halfway through the season-injury?)Considering the talent in South Korea, Japan and of course Russia, I would say we are losing ground.

@natsulian follows a lot of the younger skaters pretty closely and can probably give some good input here.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think skaters like Ting Cui and Hanna Harrell could have been a factor for this Olympic cycle and the next but injuries really set them back especially Ting who was on the rise at the end of the 2019 season. I think if Ting hadn't been injured for 2 seasons and their hadn't been an almost non existent season this year she would have passed up Amber and Karen and maybe even Mariah by now and been a real Olympic team contender. She may not have been consistent but unlike Alysa she was mostly passed her growth spurts and didn't have a problem with UR's. I do have to say that Kanon Smith is a real firecracker who has great potential and unlike so many US ladies in the lower levels skates with speed which which US ladies seem to struggle with for some reason.

Olympic

On the Ice
I posted this elsewhere and will say again, the 3 spots for Beijing are wide-open and will be based on BOW. However, the performances by all of Tennell, Chen, Bell, Liu and Glenn from September 2021 - January 2022 are going to be so vital in selecting the Olympic / World teams. I also wouldn't be surprised if the USFSA sends one skater to the Olympics and an alternate to Worlds if it's close among these 5.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know this is way too early to say but are there any promising young skaters for next quad? ...

To name a few:

Lindsay Thorngren
- sixth at 2021 Nats (her first year in senior)
- 2020 U.S. junior champion
- newly named recipient of $10,000 "Up and Coming" award from USFS Mabel Fairbanks Skatingly Yours Fund

Audrey Shin
- third at 2020 Skate America
- seventh at 2021 Nats (her first year in senior)

Isabeau Levito
- 2021 U.S. junior champion
- she competed as senior at Denver Invitational within the last few weeks (and won)

Kanon Smith (already mentioned by katymay)
- 2021 U.S. junior silver medalist, who won the free skate

Mia Kalin
- junior who landed quad toe (underrotated) at 2021 Nats

Kate Wang
Tamnhi Huynh

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has sadly been Geo-Blocked for Ca. I don't know who is charge of these things but, the US has got to do a better job of promoting skating. The casual fan won't become hooked if the are blocked from seeing the skaters from their own Country.

Thank you for trying.... :thank:

Mr Rice, this is the entire ladies FS. It is not geoblocked in the US. Bradie's skate is around 1:17. With the added bonus of "coach" Jason Brown after her skate. :biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker
It has sadly been Geo-Blocked for Ca. I don't know who is charge of these things but, the US has got to do a better job of promoting skating. The casual fan won't become hooked if the are blocked from seeing the skaters from their own Country.

This should work, Instagram is a good go-to option that GEO-Blocking does not hit (yet)

dancelion21

On the Ice
In an Instagram live yesterday, Alysa says she has had her triple axel back since before Nationals and did it in her most recent training. There is still no video evidence of her doing it, but it lines up with her interviews from before and during Nationals. Of course, if Alysa has a consistent triple axel, she would probably be the top US lady again by virtue of her Base Value.

daffygirl

Rinkside
In an Instagram live yesterday, Alysa says she has had her triple axel back since before Nationals and did it in her most recent training. There is still no video evidence of her doing it, but it lines up with her interviews from before and during Nationals. Of course, if Alysa has a consistent triple axel, she would probably be the top US lady again by virtue of her Base Value.
That Instagram interview was...chaotic, but it's nice to see Alysa just been a teen hanging out with her friends. And of course having a 3A back and still have several months to work on it is great news.

withwings

On the Ice

I am so suprised that in US the link is geblocked....:(

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so suprised that in US the link is geblocked....:(
In the US, most ISU skating is now shown on Peacock Premium, which is a pay channel (not much, but still pay). Snippets are shown on NBCSN, which is cable, but not for long from what I understand.

Peacock would probably block ISU and other skating posts on YouTube for copyright reasons, sadly.

VK and Bilibili, as well as IGTV due to its inability to search, would be our resorts outside of Peacock.;)

halulupu

Final Flight
Its time for a revolution in usa Ladies skating. At this point Alysa is the only hope with somehow decent tech content, at least potentially.

metconahay

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Karen said in an interview that her focus this summer will be on the 3A. I'm really rooting for her and think it would be wonderful if she could do a 3A, but I feel like she would have a better shot of making the olympic team if she just focused on rotating her existing triples and the 3-3s... Honestly, same goes for Bradie, Amber, and Alysa. If any of them show up next season with consistent 3-3s and well-rotated jumps, they'd be very safe bets for the team (even if they would likely need 3As to be competitive for high finishes).