Dream music choices 21/22 edition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dream music choices 21/22 edition

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When did To Build a Home, Rain in Your Black Eyes, and Experience become "almost-warhorses" ? Who performed it first? The music isn't old at all.
Build a Home-2014 Josh Farris, Experience/Circles 2016-17 Angela Wang, P/C.

Skate2Music

Rinkside
Here is another round of my dream music choices.
Sasha Trusova as Russian WW 2 Sniper Ludmilla Pavlichenko (Battle for Sevastopol) The OG "Quad Queen" perfectly captures her fighting spirit, and it'd be a patriotic choice for the Olympics.

For Anna Shcherbakova, I'd choose a sentimental for romantic classical style for her tender but strong personality.
The Lark by Glinka/Balakirev
Valse Sentimentale by Tchiakovsky
Valse Triste by Sibelius

Finally, the last member of the Troika our spirited Alena. I could see her do feminist punk rock for an exhibition.
Rebel Girl & Double Dare Ya by Bikini Kill
For something more familiar to the Russian audience, how about Kino?
Paremen
For her Olympics, she could portray Gemma from the Gadfly, an Irish novel famous in the USSR.
The Gadfly Suite by Demetri Shostakovich

Finally, Kamila Valieva, our debutant and an arguable favourite for OG, I'd like to see her skate a Russian classic.
She'd be a lovely Natasha Rostova in War and Peace by Prokofiev
Instead of Recycling the Girl on the Ball, I wished she'd embraced her inner Avante Guarde & skated to Satie.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
This may be unorthodox, but would be cool if Nathan and Shae get to collaborate on these
  • A medley of The Red Violin soundtrack - maybe modernized from Michelle Kwan's 2000 LP
  • An extended Killmonger version for the SP.
  • A medley of Seasons of Love and I Will Cover You from Rent.
  • A medley from the Passion of the Christ soundtrack - cuts of this, this and this.

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
This may be unorthodox, but would be cool if Nathan and Shae get to collaborate on these
  • A medley of The Red Violin soundtrack - maybe modernized from Michelle Kwan's 2000 LP
  • An extended Killmonger version for the SP.
  • A medley of Seasons of Love and I Will Cover You from Rent.
  • A medley from the Passion of the Christ soundtrack - cuts of this, this and this.
only if si skates as Judas :LOL: knowing is love for minimalism if you have him skate as Jesus he could come out in just a white tunic

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
-I'd love to see someone use the Westworld soundtrack. We've seen plenty of Game of Thrones, but I honestly think Ramin Djiwadi's scores for Westworld are better quality. Seems like natural material for Trusova, though it might be a bit predictable for her.

-From Mendelssohn's "Six Songs Without Words" - Op. 38 No. 6 (Duetto). Originally written as a solo piano piece, but there's a gorgeous version that preserves the chord voicings from the piano and gives the two intertwining melody lines to cello and violin. I'd love to see Satoko skate to this one.

-Joe Hisaishi's "Merry Go Round of Life" from the Hayao Miyazaki film "Howl's Moving Castle" - I've been waiting for someone to skate to this since the film came out in 2005! Although I've heard rumors that Hisaishi generally doesn't like giving permission for his works to be used, and that he made a bit of an exception for Yuzu for "Hope and Legacy."

-Debussy's Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals" has quite a few pieces that could be used for skating - I think "Aquarium" would be my top choice. I could see this one for Kaori!

-I'd love to see Bradie Tennell skate to something from Alanis Morrissette. I felt like she was on to something with that Florence and the Machine program - it really suited her, and I think some of Alanis' songs have that same sort of energy.

Edit: wrong composer for "Carnival" :-|

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think "si" was meant to be "he" as in if Nathan skated to music from Passion of the Christ his costume should just be a plain white tunic like Jesus wore.

Which considering Nathan's aesthetics would be no problem ;)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I think "si" was meant to be "he" as in if Nathan skated to music from Passion of the Christ his costume should just be a plain white tunic like Jesus wore.

Which considering Nathan's aesthetics would be no problem ;)
(it was a typo :LOL: in my defense, i was multitasking and shifting languages) in this case would the beard be mandatory?:unsure::LOL:

LutzDance

On the Ice
I love this choice for Anna! A combination of virtuoso playing and sweet lyricism is very much in her style.

From Mendelssohn's "Six Songs Without Words" - Op. 38 No. 6 (Duetto). Originally written as a solo piano piece, but there's a gorgeous version that preserves the chord voicings from the piano and gives the two intertwining melody lines to cello and violin. I'd love to see Satoko skate to this one.
I've always wanted to see more representation of Lieder in figure skating. Would love to see someone to skate to a "song with words" as well, such as Schumann's Dichterliebe, Schubert's Die Winterreise, or the latter's modern cousin December Songs.

Debussy's "Carnival of the Animals" has quite a few pieces that could be used for skating - I think "Aquarium" would be my top choice. I could see this one for Kaori!
You meant Saint-Saens? ;) But yeah, I could see Aquarium work for Kaori.

knowing is love for minimalism if you have him skate as Jesus he could come out in just a white tunic
Which considering Nathan's aesthetics would be no problem
That's why I insist he should skate to Balanchine. If Balanchine's work could reduce Jason to wearing a purple T-shirt, it can also justify Nathan for showing up in whatever practice clothes he likes :biggrin:

Speaking of Glinka and Balanchine, I really like the music for the ballet Glinkiana, both the fast bit and the slow bit. Could be really hard to interpret on the ice though.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
only if si skates as Judas :LOL: knowing is love for minimalism if you have him skate as Jesus he could come out in just a white tunic

perfect - that's pretty much his practice gear. lol. you know it's awesome we could think of a really diverse set of music we imagine Nathan can skate to - just goes to show how much growth he's demonstrated in adapting to all types of genres.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just thinking...as a big fan of The Corrs, I'd love to hear some of their music in a skating program.

Has anyone skated to one of their songs before?
I think the Kerrs may have but I cannot find it, someone correct me if I am mistaken