Dream music choices 21/22 edition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dream music choices 21/22 edition

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am still wishing for a program to music from Outlander.

Especially the Scottish waltz that begins at about the 5 minute mark in the clip below.
So beautiful, strong sweeping and epic.

Also any show produced by Maril Davis is just begging to be used in skating...watch the credits for that name. Meryl & Charlie would've been perfect for this music.

Last edited:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Ah I love all of these suggestions! Adding onto Candyman, I think another track ("Opening") from the Truman Show by Glass is also good skating material. And by word association (lol), I also want to suggest The Church of Glass from the movie Oscar and Lucinda, with gentle, shimmering percussion effects as well as a climaxing melody in the string and vocal section.

I wasn't a big fan of Amelie with OBC (even though I love Pippa), but after giving the OLC recording a cursory listening I found it much more preferable than the former. It All Fades Away from Bridges of Madison County could work for a guy with sweeping edges and lyricism, maybe Yan Han? I've also been wanting people to skate to the Band's Visit! Omar Sherif just screams free dance music. An instrumental version of The Proposal / The Night Was Alive from Titanic could also be very serviceable free dance material.
Answer Me screams a free skating program, with its perfect climax especially 😍
I agree re Titanic, and the entire opening sequence would be an awesome material for some creative choreographer, particularly the big choir moment from I Must Get on That Ship.
I absolutely love OLC Amelie, even though I hated OBC. It's incredible how these changes completely transformed this dire show into quirky little thing with a character of its own! Should've won an Olivier fair and square (ah well, one more reason to hate DEH).
I also totally see some Russian girl skating to No One Else from the Comet 😍😍😍

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
My dream music for Aliona Kostornaia would be music from the film Cloud Atlas. So far I have only seen Vincent Zhou skate to this soundtrack which is a shame because the score is so beautiful and the end credits music in particular would make for an amazing free program for someone artistic. It has that "Bolero" feel to it in the sense that it just builds and builds to a stunning climax at the last minute or so. I think you could cut this down to 4 minutes:

There's something quite otherworldly about this and I think it needs a special kind of skater to do it justice. :)

I've also always wanted to see someone skate to "Forbidden Friendship" from How To Train Your Dragon. I've seen people skate to the soundtrack but never this piece and it's probably the most gorgeous in the film! And the best part? It's already 4 minutes long so it won't need to be edited much, just remove the first couple of seconds and start the program off on a quieter note.

Since Yuma Kagiyama seems to like movie soundtracks it could be a really nice fit for him! He has that youthful and innocent energy (duh he's young lol) that I think the music needs.

LutzDance

On the Ice
Jamie Sale & David Pelletier 2001 Worlds pairs FS
Thank you for sharing! Tristan and Isolde is not the easiest music to skate to but they pulled this off. Such a thoroughly classical program is so rare in the pairs field now. cc'ing @elektra blue for this great Wagnerian piece.

So far I have only seen Vincent Zhou skate to this soundtrack which is a shame because the score is so beautiful and the end credits music in particular would make for an amazing free program for someone artistic.
Peng/Jin skated to Cloud Atlas in their free skate for the past two seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bl5iU30TeI

I think HTTYD would fit Yuma given his current style, but I look forward to him skating to something that pushes his boundary of artistic expression. He has all these extraordinary qualities, but so far they haven't translated into an extraordinary program (or it could be just me :biggrin:).

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
Peng/Jin skated to Cloud Atlas in their free skate for the past two seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bl5iU30TeI

I think HTTYD would fit Yuma given his current style, but I look forward to him skating to something that pushes his boundary of artistic expression. He has all these extraordinary qualities, but so far they haven't translated into an extraordinary program (or it could be just me :biggrin:).

Oh thank you for sharing! I really only follow singles (I'm gonna try and follow pairs/ID more this season since it's an Olympic one) so I never got to see this! That was a really nice interpretation!

I think for the Olympics most skaters tend to play it safe and stick with what they know (honestly it's almost always a season of the most predictable music choices lol) so I don't expect Yuma to experiment too much and think this music offers a nice path to build on the artistic qualities he already has, obviously they aren't at Hanyu/Uno levels but there's loads of potential there. :)

LutzDance

On the Ice
Oh thank you for sharing! I really only follow singles (I'm gonna try and follow pairs/ID more this season since it's an Olympic one) so I never got to see this! That was a really nice interpretation!

I think for the Olympics most skaters tend to play it safe and stick with what they know (honestly it's almost always a season of the most predictable music choices lol) so I don't expect Yuma to experiment too much and think this music offers a nice path to build on the artistic qualities he already has, obviously they aren't at Hanyu/Uno levels but there's loads of potential there. :)
Yeah I like Peng/Jin's program as well :) Agree re: skaters heading into the Olympics might want to play it safe. But on the other hand if you do something refreshingly off the bat you also get to immediately stand out in a bunch of warhorses or recycled programs. So it's each skater's decision to call.

Skate2Music

Rinkside
-I'd love to see someone use the Westworld soundtrack. We've seen plenty of Game of Thrones, but I honestly think Ramin Djiwadi's scores for Westworld are better quality. Seems like natural material for Trusova, though it might be a bit predictable for her.

-From Mendelssohn's "Six Songs Without Words" - Op. 38 No. 6 (Duetto). Originally written as a solo piano piece, but there's a gorgeous version that preserves the chord voicings from the piano and gives the two intertwining melody lines to cello and violin. I'd love to see Satoko skate to this one.

-Joe Hisaishi's "Merry Go Round of Life" from the Hayao Miyazaki film "Howl's Moving Castle" - I've been waiting for someone to skate to this since the film came out in 2005! Although I've heard rumors that Hisaishi generally doesn't like giving permission for his works to be used, and that he made a bit of an exception for Yuzu for "Hope and Legacy."

-Debussy's Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals" has quite a few pieces that could be used for skating - I think "Aquarium" would be my top choice. I could see this one for Kaori!

-I'd love to see Bradie Tennell skate to something from Alanis Morrissette. I felt like she was on to something with that Florence and the Machine program - it really suited her, and I think some of Alanis' songs have that same sort of energy.

Edit: wrong composer for "Carnival" :-|
I love Hisaishi especially "Merry Go Round of Life!" Boikova / Kozlovskii used it for their SP at worlds.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for sharing! Tristan and Isolde is not the easiest music to skate to but they pulled this off. Such a thoroughly classical program is so rare in the pairs field now. cc'ing @elektra blue for this great Wagnerian piece.
There is also Sheryl Franks & Michael Botticelli USA - 1980 Olympics FS. Some unique moves in this program that has always been a favorite from that era. The Wagner section is the middle slow section.

Last edited:

LutzDance

On the Ice
There is also Sheryl Franks & Michael Botticelli USA - 1980 Olympics FS. Some unique moves in this program that has always been a favorite from that era. The Wagner section is the middle slow section. https://youtu.be/JPCCWijylsY
You're so resourceful with these old gems :clap: The selection of the Lark Ascending, Firebird, and Tristan and Isolde is bit of a wild mix, but there's a lot of interesting choreographic ideas there. I had to stop and rewatch the double Axel (Mike) plus spread eagle (Sheryl) entry into the death spiral before moving on with the program. The Axel looks like a Saut de Basque in ballet - who said jumps couldn't be linking steps?
Again, wish to see more of such economy of movement and cleanliness of the lines that worked so well with classical pieces in today's pairs skating.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I love Hisaishi especially "Merry Go Round of Life!" Boikova / Kozlovskii used it for their SP at worlds.

Yuma was originally going to skate to the Princess Mononoke soundtrack this season instead of Avatar, and I feel we were robbed. I would love to see more of Hisaishi's music used.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Ahh I completely missed that!! This is what I get for not really following pairs, lol. Thanks so much for pointing that out!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're so resourceful with these old gems :clap: The selection of the Lark Ascending, Firebird, and Tristan and Isolde is bit of a wild mix, but there's a lot of interesting choreographic ideas there. I had to stop and rewatch the double Axel (Mike) plus spread eagle (Sheryl) entry into the death spiral before moving on with the program. The Axel looks like a Saut de Basque in ballet - who said jumps couldn't be linking steps?
Again, wish to see more of such economy of movement and cleanliness of the lines that worked so well with classical pieces in today's pairs skating.
I wonder how a judge would score such a program today? I also loved the soaring musicality of many of their lifts. The combo spin was also quite unusual. I would like to see one of today's pairs look at these programs, take what they like and rework it for today.

I remember watching this program at US nationals. Sheryl & Mike were trying to earn third place for the last Olympic berth over Vicki Heasley and Robert Wagenhoffer, who I was rooting for that year. Sheryl & Mike did win in a close battle, and though I was crushed for Vicki & Rob, I was okay with Mike & Sheryl getting the spot.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I would love Anna Scherbakova to skate to this... she is the original sprite:biggrin:

The Forest of the Elves

LutzDance

On the Ice
I wonder how a judge would score such a program today? I also loved the soaring musicality of many of their lifts. The combo spin was also quite unusual. I would like to see one of today's pairs look at these programs, take what they like and rework it for today.
I also love how their throw 2A was timed to the transition between the Lark and Firebird. Axels really seemed to be their jam.

I too wonder how this program would be judged today. Only single jumps are allowed as choreographic elements nowadays, so no double axels as transition elements. I wonder how the Axel was counted back then.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I remember watching this program at US nationals. Sheryl & Mike were trying to earn third place for the last Olympic berth over Vicki Heasley and Robert Wagenhoffer, who I was rooting for that year. Sheryl & Mike did win in a close battle, and though I was crushed for Vicki & Rob, I was okay with Mike & Sheryl getting the spot.

Here comes the off topic:

And I had forgotten about Wagenhoffer skating pairs as well. I found this quote from Scott Hamilton:
I already had Brian Boitano pushing me...I was happy to see Robert in pairs.
Robert was one of the most gifted jumpers and classiest competitors I have ever known. He made everything look effortless. He gave all of us competing against him something to think about.

And soooo good as a pro and then gone too soon😭

Back to music choices:biggrin:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here comes the off topic:

And I had forgotten about Wagenhoffer skating pairs as well. I found this quote from Scott Hamilton:
I already had Brian Boitano pushing me...I was happy to see Robert in pairs.
Robert was one of the most gifted jumpers and classiest competitors I have ever known. He made everything look effortless. He gave all of us competing against him something to think about.

Vicki Heasley and Robert Wagenhoffer 1979 NHK Trophy - Pair SP​

1979 US Nationals Vicki Heasley & Robert Wagenhoffer - Pairs FS

1979 Vicki Heasley/Robert Wagenhoffer : Worlds​

Almost lost in the Tai & Randy win in 1979 was the sixth place finish of Heasley & Wagenhoffer in their debut at Worlds. It also gave Robert membership in that small group of skaters who have skated at Worlds in more than one discipline. They did not skate well at 1980 Nationals and lost their bid for an Olympic berth to the above mentioned Franks & Botticelli who skated marvelously at the Olympics.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The lark ascending for a Skater with nice SS and classical style. Someone like Rino Matsuike, Haein Lee or Yelim Kim.

Epiphany by Jin from BTS for Eunsoo Lim.

Your eyes tell by BTS for team KoKo.

Last edited:

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
A medley from Taylor Swift's album 'reputation' for Fear/Gibson's next crowd favourite FD

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Back to my all-time favourite again. Still waiting for a pair or singles skater to pick it up. Boyang Yin (he did do Spiderman after all) could do it - I can envisage him with a shirt with dots and an eye (representing an eye stalk):