Jason Brown | Page 855 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I genuinely would be so excited if Jason continued skating for another year or two. After this Olympic cycle, I have a feeling we'll lose a lot of top skaters (Yuzu, Vincent, Nathan, etc.), and especially if he gets a consistent quad, I think Jason can win the US title and make it on to the GPF, medal at multiple GP events, 4CC, etc. Plus, he's such a unique, one-in-a-generation skater that I would hate to see him retire.
I would also love to see him continue and go for another US title. He and his team are smart enough to let him heal right now. The only reason he has lasted this long is because he doesn’t do all the quads. I know he needs a couple and he will have them. I feel excited for him this season because he seems so happy.

lilsailor

On the Ice
Yes, guys, I'm SO excited!! I can't even explain how happy I am thinking that I might see him, actually see him skate live, in a couple of months!

I had tickets, flights and everything planned 2 years ago for Nebelhorn and then he had to withdraw from the competition and I was sure I had lost my only chance to see him... but now... I'm hopeful again and I think the ticket won't be that expensive, you know... no Nathan, Yuzuru or Shoma there.. so.. maybe an all event ticket won't cost so much. 🤞

And SINNERMAN + SCHINDLER'S LIST!!!

Let me say it again: SINNERMAN + SCHINDLER'S LIST!!!!!!!
i'm very late to this, sorry!! but i had all event tickets (non-gold bc while gold tickets have the privilege of being on the long sides, have hockey glass to compete with fjfjfjf) to the last two idfs & my tickets were €100 with an extra €5 charger per practise session!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just stumbled across this page from last month, where Good Morning America asked celebrities for nominations on "Who is making LGBTQ+" history now,

and Adam Rippon nominated Jason (at the bottom of the screen, you may need to search "Rippon"). The blurb was quite gracious:

I nominate Olympic figure skater Jason Brown. I skated and competed with Jason for most of my career. As his competition, I always admired how talented he was, but after I retired following the 2018 Olympics, I have had the chance to really admire just how great he really is. Watching Jason skate is a masterclass in performance and execution. Jason might not have the most difficult jumps in his programs but what he lacks in his technical program is completely compensated for by the skill of his skating. Jason is an Olympic medalist from 2014. He recently came out as gay on social media and if he qualifies for the 2022 Olympics (he is a favorite for the team) it will be his first Olympics as an out gay athlete. His representation will mean so much to the many people who will get the opportunity to watch him compete on the world stage. I know I will probably shed a few tears … I GET EMOTIONAL. I’M ONLY HUMAN! His beautiful skating is matched only by how truly kind he is to everyone he meets. I am so proud of him and so grateful for him.

As to the Olys, Adam, from your lips to God's ears.:pray:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just stumbled across this page from last month, where Good Morning America asked celebrities for nominations on "Who is making LGBTQ+" history now,

and Adam Rippon nominated Jason (at the bottom of the screen, you may need to search "Rippon"). The blurb was quite gracious:

I nominate Olympic figure skater Jason Brown. I skated and competed with Jason for most of my career. As his competition, I always admired how talented he was, but after I retired following the 2018 Olympics, I have had the chance to really admire just how great he really is. Watching Jason skate is a masterclass in performance and execution. Jason might not have the most difficult jumps in his programs but what he lacks in his technical program is completely compensated for by the skill of his skating. Jason is an Olympic medalist from 2014. He recently came out as gay on social media and if he qualifies for the 2022 Olympics (he is a favorite for the team) it will be his first Olympics as an out gay athlete. His representation will mean so much to the many people who will get the opportunity to watch him compete on the world stage. I know I will probably shed a few tears … I GET EMOTIONAL. I’M ONLY HUMAN! His beautiful skating is matched only by how truly kind he is to everyone he meets. I am so proud of him and so grateful for him.

As to the Olys, Adam, from your lips to God's ears.:pray:
Adam is a class act! And everything he says is true. Jason has earned that spot many times over, but he'll do his best to make sure he earns it in Nashville. So proud of Adam and Jason! And Jason will get to show the world what great skating looks like and he'll push the envelope for the rest of the competitors too. As heartbreaking as 2018 was for Jason, I was glad that Adam got the chance to show who he is. And now it's Jason's turn!

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
I’ve enjoyed this thread about Jason’s future in competition after the Olympics year. You’ve all given me some hope that there may be reasons for him to want to continue. I hope so!

I’ve also wondered if he might continue if they make any of the changes proposed in 2020 to rebalance the artistic and technical sides of skating. Does anyone know if those were rejected, or might still be a possibility?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to admit to selfish reasons...one more season from Jason would open things up to his attending 2023 Four Continents...in Sydney.

But also, I think if Jason stays injury free, I would hope he and his team would sit down and have a look at the worth of his continuance if he still wanted to. It won't just be the US men hitting retirement city. Others in other countries are also likely to retire. There's not just the high probability of another US title on the line, but the probability of a Worlds medal.

His general lack of serious injury, and the increasing recognition (scoring wise) of his artistic skill and the GOE he can garner, he still has a lot more to give, I think.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have to admit to selfish reasons...one more season from Jason would open things up to his attending 2023 Four Continents...in Sydney.

But also, I think if Jason stays injury free, I would hope he and his team would sit down and have a look at the worth of his continuance if he still wanted to. It won't just be the US men hitting retirement city. Others in other countries are also likely to retire. There's not just the high probability of another US title on the line, but the probability of a Worlds medal.

His general lack of serious injury, and the increasing recognition (scoring wise) of his artistic skill and the GOE he can garner, he still has a lot more to give, I think.
Really hoping that he gets to Sydney so that you can see him. I can see him wanting that. I'm sure that he's totally focused on this year and taking it one competition at a time with an end goal. But I'm sure there is a thought process that includes the two years after this Olympic cycle. If he still loves competing, I can see him continuing for a bit. But there are other factors. Personal goals as well as career goals, age, injury risk etc will factor in. But he loves to be on the ice, he loves to compete and he loves to travel. So it's definitely a possibility. We'll wait, watch and see. I do think it will come down to how this year plays out.

The question of scoring tweaks over the next Olympic cycle is a very good one that may have a big impact on his decision and others as well. Jason is a big part of why they talk about this and why skaters do actually try to up their PC game. He's shown them how important it is. Both Nathan and Yuzu have stated publicly over the years that Jason has pushed them to up their artistic side. He's very influential and it would be great if he could do another year or two. It will be good for US Figure Skating if he does.

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't mean to wax dramatic, but I do think Jason is the reason that "the powers that be" have had to take a step back and look at the judging. In many ways he's revolutionized men's figure skating in the current quad. It's impossible to ignore his popularity with the crowds, other skaters, and just the beauty of figure skating as it should be. He may never win a gold medal but his contribution has been significant. Adam summed it up so well.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Don't mean to wax dramatic, but I do think Jason is the reason that "the powers that be" have had to take a step back and look at the judging. In many ways he's revolutionized men's figure skating in the current quad. It's impossible to ignore his popularity with the crowds, other skaters, and just the beauty of figure skating as it should be. He may never win a gold medal but his contribution has been significant. Adam summed it up so well.
I've been saying that all along. Most of the people watching Olympic skating won't be able to tell a quad from a triple. But they will recognize good skating when they see it. Jason Is a GREAT SKATER!

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I, too, would love to see Jason win another Nats. But I doubt at his age that he'll stay in competition.
Well, 27 is not the oldest in men's competitive figure skating. And even though a lot of skaters retire around that age, we don't know.
I agree that Jason has a chance to have nice results in following seasons after the Olympic one, but we'll see, in my mind I'm 50/50, I don't believe strongly he'll retire, we just don't know. He also said that he won't retire before nailing the quad(s) (I don't know if a season is enough for that), so he might wanna go one more season or two because he really wants to be remembered as a complete skater, he's worked so hard for it after all and the reason why he changed coaches. And many have competed past that age. Like Alexei Bychenko(33), Michal Brezina(31), Paul Fentz(28) (who got his first quad at 26 or 27 if I'm not mistaken) etc., all not retired by the way.

noskates

Record Breaker
This discussion makes me thing of an old adage my Italian grandmother used to say: "If wishes were horses, men could ride!" Interpret that any way you want but wanting Jason to continue and him actually continuing remains to be seen (or heard) IF he doesn't make the Olympic team I doubt seriously he'll stay in for another quad until the next Olys.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
This discussion makes me thing of an old adage my Italian grandmother used to say: "If wishes were horses, men could ride!" Interpret that any way you want but wanting Jason to continue and him actually continuing remains to be seen (or heard) IF he doesn't make the Olympic team I doubt seriously he'll stay in for another quad until the next Olys.
It's not about next Olympics but other competitions a few years before that where he can still see his dreams that he worked for happen. And it's not even about wishes, like I said, I'm 50/50 on it. You said two or three times in your last posts that you don't believe he'll continue and it's your belief and it may well be the case. Not everyone has the same exact beliefs. :) Some of us think there is a possibility, independent of our wish, for him to continue for a couple of seasons more where he can show his skating and jumps alike. And the possibility for him to make the Olympic team is there too and bigger than the one of him not retiring right away. Anyway, I don't think age would be the main factor, I'm almost sure he could go longer with great results, it's about his wishes for his future and I'm sure each one of his fans will respect whatever decision he makes.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
You know Kan01 - you won't find a bigger, more devoted fan of Jason and I've been "with" him since he started in juniors. And whatever he decides will be more than fine with me. I've just been stating my opinion based on watching figure skating for more than 40 years, raising an athlete myself, and knowing how hard it is on a body to keep jumping year after year. (ask Kurt Browning!!!) I realize not everyone has the same beliefs and that's why it's okay to state your opinion in this forum particularly. We all want what's best for him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just can't see Jason skating competitively after this year, as much as selfishly would love it. (and it would be great for him to do 4CC Australia). I just don't see where psychologically he would want to keep up that grueling regimen when he could go to Japan and teach and be loved. But hey, I'm not Jason and whatever he does we will all support him:biggrin:

So in more Jason trivia news, am I the last to notice he has a new agent? Listed on his IG page: Stoked Management (what a great name)

They evidently represent Bradie and Ashley according to their website. Jason is not on their website .... yet;)

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Well, I'm just speaking based on what I've read from interviews where he left the possibility open and showed he's not sure either what he'll do. He has definitely left the possibility open and it depends on how he'll do this season I imagine. Of course it will be very hard without a future Olympics as a motivation to continue. But I do see him do a Javier Fernandez and do at least one or two more major competitions in 2022-2023, or maybe the whole season, same way as I see him retiring right away especially if he'll feel very pleased with his results the current season. But this is just me speculating and I could be wrong.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just can't see Jason skating competitively after this year, as much as selfishly would love it. (and it would be great for him to do 4CC Australia). I just don't see where psychologically he would want to keep up that grueling regimen when he could go to Japan and teach and be loved. But hey, I'm not Jason and whatever he does we will all support him:biggrin:

So in more Jason trivia news, am I the last to notice he has a new agent? Listed on his IG page: Stoked Management (what a great name)

They evidently represent Bradie and Ashley according to their website. Jason is not on their website .... yet;)
That's interesting! Ashley seems to be doing well post competitively. She's flying all over doing skating seminars etc. She's made a life for herself in Boston. Looks like a good move!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, I'm just speaking based on what I've read from interviews where he left the possibility open and showed he's not sure either what he'll do. He has definitely left the possibility open and it depends on how he'll do this season I imagine. Of course it will be very hard without a future Olympics as a motivation to continue. But I do see him do a Javier Fernandez and do at least one or two more major competitions in 2022-2023, or maybe the whole season, same way as I see him retiring right away especially if he'll feel very pleased with his results the current season. But this is just me speculating and I could be wrong.
I think that Jason will make the decision based on what happens this season. Once this season and the Olympics are over, he'll take the summer and figure it out. Different season results may have different decision results. If he goes to the Olympics, he might continue another year, or he might decide his goals are met. The bigger question is what happens if he doesn't make the team. In my heart, I believe that he will make it. It makes so much sense for USFS to send him there. He's such a great ambassador for US skating. And there is no Adam this year.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

They also represent some really high profile athletes in other sports, including Chloe Kim. Interesting choice for an Olympic Year.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am not sure staring Ice Dance in the USA would be good for Jason. We already have a lot of depth.

That being said... he could in theory try ice dancing for Israel most likely if he wanted - i think that would give him more opportunities to compete if he wanted to explore a different side of skating.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am not sure staring Ice Dance in the USA would be good for Jason. We already have a lot of depth.

That being said... he could in theory try ice dancing for Israel most likely if he wanted - i think that would give him more opportunities to compete if he wanted to explore a different side of skating.
I would love to see Jason do ice dancing, but he's not really tall enough. He would need a really tiny partner.