2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating

hanca

Record Breaker
I like that pair and some people really call Mukhortova "little Tarasova", the similarity between the two is strong.
Evgenia Tarasova? Seriously? I can’t see anything at all on Mukhortova’s skating that would be similar to Tarasova. If I would compare her to someone, it would be either Stolbova or Sui Wenjing. With these two she has similar style of skating - Mukhortova has very decent basic skating, which is not that common among juniors. The way her blade glides, very soft on the ice.

katymay

Medalist
So, what are your feelings about the pairs? Surprisingly who catched my attention the most were Chikmaryova/Yanchenkov, I bet from Slyusarenko's team, and Khabibulina/Knyazhuk.
I think Muhortova has huge star quality. I admit, I was watching her, not the partner. (I don't know how old she is, but I don't think they are long for 'juniors')

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Evgeniev is very expressive and has good skating quality too. That's rare to see among junior pair guys and really serves to distinguish M/E from the other teams. Contrast this with K/B, where the charisma of the team comes solely from Kostiukovich (just as well she has enough for both of them).

In this respect, Mukhortova/Evgeniev do kinda resemble Sui/Han :)

I'm a bit pessimistic about Akhanteva/Kolesov. Surely she couldn't have grown even taller at age 18? They look more awkward than last season and the programmes don't help. The SP was alright until the weird music cut... The LP is a bit flat throughout like the previous Pink Floyd one.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think Muhortova has huge star quality. I admit, I was watching her, not the partner. (I don't know how old she is, but I don't think they are long for 'juniors')
She's 18 already, her partner will soon be 20.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Tarasova/ Morozov upgrading to throw triple flip and possibly quad twist. Tarasova trying solo triple flip.
They did quad twist under the -3/+3 system, but stopped that under the new rules when the BV was lowered. But Eteri's attitude "The hardest possible is always the best" probably appears :laugh:

Novalis

Record Breaker

hanca

Record Breaker
I'm a bit pessimistic about Akhanteva/Kolesov. Surely she couldn't have grown even taller at age 18? They look more awkward than last season and the programmes don't help. The SP was alright until the weird music cut... The LP is a bit flat throughout like the previous Pink Floyd one.
I am pessimistic about Akhanteva not because of her height, but because they seem to be too long on the same level and not taking the last step to claw their way on top in juniors. Many other pairs have been skating together much shorter time and are on the same level or overtook them and moved to seniors. It does not bode well for a pair if they can’t stand out even in juniors, while competing together for this length of time. They are nice to watch, they became lovely polished, but she is not expressive and there is nothing to stand out. Consistency has been an issue in the past too, we will see this season what happens. Actually, Akhanteva/Kolesov remind me Zabijako/Enbert. Lovely to watch, very polished, elegant…just a bit boring. (And Zabijako/Enbert also used to have a problem with consistency. )

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'm very excited to see what Moskvina is cooking up with those music choices--but it seems like the team wants to tackle their biggest problem, which is speed across the ice. M/G have elements to win the Olympics, but they need to catch up a bit on speed so their scores can get that nice bump to push them (time) forward.

Also, very interested in seeing what Tarasova and Morozov are doing this weekend. To be quite honest, I'm not sure a clean skate from them will get them over S/H in the Olympics (it could be enough to beat the Russians, though) so I guess they are going for broke.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Also, very interested in seeing what Tarasova and Morozov are doing this weekend. To be quite honest, I'm not sure a clean skate from them will get them over S/H in the Olympics (it could be enough to beat the Russians, though) so I guess they are going for broke.
What do you propose for them, then? To make a wow of purity and enter the monastery?

Who would have thought Mishina/Galliamov will defeat favoured Sui/Han at worlds? This happened once, this can happen again. And if not, the principle of the sport is to try, not to cry about being broke on social media.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm a bit surprised Mishina/Galliamov are keeping their SP - I thought they had just about outgrown both programs at Worlds last year. But I think they're focusing on improvements and getting comfortable with a new FS in a new style, so keeping a SP that you know works in an Olympic year makes sense.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm a bit surprised Mishina/Galliamov are keeping their SP - I thought they had just about outgrown both programs at Worlds last year. But I think they're focusing on improvements and getting comfortable with a new FS in a new style, so keeping a SP that you know works in an Olympic year makes sense.
It was announced some time ago they will keep the SP, but it should be highly modified.

readernick

Medalist
I'm very excited to see what Moskvina is cooking up with those music choices--but it seems like the team wants to tackle their biggest problem, which is speed across the ice. M/G have elements to win the Olympics, but they need to catch up a bit on speed so their scores can get that nice bump to push them (time) forward.

Both Sui/Han and T/M suffer from issues with the reliability of their elements. Particularly their SBS jumps. S/H are (imho) better performers and more reliable which is why they have had more international success. But, T/M have great SS (even better than S/H and far better than the other Russian teams) and their elements are outstanding in quality when executed cleanly Recently, their programs have gotten better. I enjoyed their programs last year.I would never count them out. If they can skate clean, they can beat everyone. ( Other than an amazing/ perfect Worlds 2019 S/H, but will S/H skate that clean?)

Both of Moskvina's teams should work on their speed and basic skating. However, Moskvina knows how to make them shine. She works miracles with her choreography. If she wants them to keep their program from last year, I think she definitely has solid reasons for that.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
What do you propose for them, then? To make a wow of purity and enter the monastery?

Who would have thought Mishina/Galliamov will defeat favoured Sui/Han at worlds? This happened once, this can happen again. And if not, the principle of the sport is to try, not to cry about being broke on social media.
Not sure I got this part? haha
Or you didn't get my go for broke? I meant it as going all or nothing this season.

I'm more worried about the fact that the Chinese pairs will be at home, so you'd expect some home-cooking--which is not to say that S/H really need it. But it will be hard to beat them there. And T/M slipped off the podium behind the two younger pairs. I think they realized they have to go for the harder elements, if only to give them the technical edge too.