2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 137 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US women in 2018 weren't any better than the US women now. I agree. In fact, I think Lindsay, Alysa, Mariah, Bradie, Karen and Amber are all-around better skaters than the 2018 US skaters. Karen had the same UR issues then as she does now and was also inconsistent at that time, and Ashley was having the worst year of her career. Mirai also struggled with URs. The difference is the expectations to be at the top now compared to then.. In order to be at the top now, you need to have 3As, quads, or at the very least a completely clean program without any URs. Most of the US women just aren't competitive unless the rest of the field has a terrible day and there is a very lenient technical panel as happened at 2021 Worlds.
I was about the make the same point. the US ladies in 2018 weren't exactly stellar either that's how a almost total unknown won Nationals and went to the Olympics as US champion and the Junior ranks are much stronger then in 2018..

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Off topic: I don't think the U.S. Women's thread is a suitable place to work on your Russian language skills.

So not for further discussion here, I hope, but one of your Cyrillic characters is wrong.
I'm not wearing my glasses. I'll respell it because I can't see the characters too well. Спасибо!!!! I'm curious IC, would you be offended if someone posted "Gracias!!!"? Maybe now you and others know another way to say "Thank you". That should be something positive.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
And not just land one once at USN. If there is no stable 3axel in her Grand Prix programs, she's watching Beijing from home. For me she could only be relegated to the "third spot consideration". And for my money, Lindsay Thorngren will own that spot if she does better than Karen/Bradie at USN. I would rather have Lindsay on the team than Amber, sad to say. We know what we get from Amber. A lot of pops, falls, URs and competition nerves. If anything Amber's BOW would be held against her because she has never been reliable. That is not going to change in the next ten weeks, sadly. (I am not "baiting", but merely stating my opinion, thank you very much)

Not including Alysa, since I think she makes the team based on her performance; the only US senior skater that has a body of work argument that could be considered an 'asset' to why she should be put on the team is Bradie. Karen, Mariah and Amber are all pretty much the same skater - flashes of brilliance but technically deficient, unreliable in what they do put on the ice and dependent on top skaters having errors to place well in a stacked competition like Worlds or the Olympics. Karen's only asset to her BOW is that when it mattered at Worlds last year while many other top skaters performed poorly she did not which assisted in getting the third spot.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Not including Alysa, since I think she makes the team based on her performance; the only US senior skater that has a body of work argument that could be considered an 'asset' to why she should be put on the team is Bradie. Karen, Mariah and Amber are all pretty much the same skater - flashes of brilliance but technically deficient, unreliable in what they do put on the ice and dependent on top skaters having errors to place well in a stacked competition like Worlds or the Olympics. Karen's only asset to her BOW is that when it mattered at Worlds last year while many other top skaters performed poorly she did not which assisted in getting the third spot.
I agree, but even at Finlandia Karen Chen was beautiful and clean(sh) for her. She might get dinged for UR/DG alot, but she typically skates a solid program and is relaxing and enjoyable to watch. Amber goes to an international and only lands four triples in a LP. That's Amber's BOW, years and years of the same thing. I was hoping with all hope that she could adjust her competitive mindset in competitions, but sadly I don't think it's meant to be for her. I would rather watch a perfectly beautiful if not competitive skate from Karen than torture myself (kidding) watching Amber do her trainwreck routine. I hope we see something inspiring from Amber today. I so want her to have the success that is RIGHT THERE for her. She is easily a better skater than Bradie, Bell, Thorngren. But if she can't do it when it counts, it means nothing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber 'easily' a better skater than Bradie and Thorngren? Doubt that. Amber does a 3lo in her SP when top skaters who do a 3f+3t are also doing a 3z. And Thorngren went for the 3a during the JGP, something Amber will do in practice but doesn't try in international competition.

Amber might have potential to be a better skater than Bradie, Bell and Thorngren, but when it comes to having steady competition nerves, Bradie and Lindsay have it all over Amber. Amber just isn't (and probably never will be) a strong competitor.

Amber is 22 and this will be her one and only shot at the Olympics. If she is going to deliver, it has to be now. But it may be too little, too late.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Amber 'easily' a better skater than Bradie and Thorngren? Doubt that. Amber does a 3lo in her SP when top skaters who do a 3f+3t are also doing a 3z. And Thorngren went for the 3a during the JGP, something Amber will do in practice but doesn't try in international competition.

Amber might have potential to be a better skater than Bradie, Bell and Thorngren, but when it comes to having steady competition nerves, Bradie and Lindsay have it all over Amber. Amber just isn't (and probably never will be) a strong competitor.

Amber is 22 and this will be her one and only shot at the Olympics. If she is going to deliver, it has to be now. But it may be too little, too late.
Does she do the 3loop so she doesn't get an e ? She does 3lutz in the free, but maybe less points are lost that way? Can u still get positive GOE on an e! jump?
Considering mariah is 25 and people still say she's got a shot, I don't think amber is out of it yet.
Lindsay is certainly talented though.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love Amber's loop, just because it's a loop. I know it's worth less points than a Lz or a F, but there are so many skaters doing F's and Lz'es in the SP nowadays. It's nice to see a loop! My favourite jump to watch.

Amei

Record Breaker
I love Amber's loop, just because it's a loop. I know it's worth less points than a Lz or a F, but there are so many skaters doing F's and Lz'es in the SP nowadays. It's nice to see a loop! My favourite jump to watch.

This is a conundrum of figure skating -- the loop is a lovely jump but an easy jump so its not worth as much, so its shooting yourself in the foot to do it, but then we end up with formulaic programs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's bizarre. This is the first time since ****** 1987 ***** that NOT ONE American woman attempted a 3lutz in the SP at Skate America. 35 years..... Seeing all the Americans down at the bottom of the standings/results after the SP is pathetic. It reminds me of the Canadian ladies in the 90s. (I am not "baiting", just merely stating an opinion, thank you very much. спасиьо)

(I am not "baiting", but merely stating my opinion, thank you very much)

I'm not wearing my glasses. I'll respell it because I can't see the characters too well. Спасибо!!!! I'm curious IC, would you be offended if someone posted "Gracias!!!"? Maybe now you and others know another way to say "Thank you". That should be something positive.

I think it's great for people to take an interest in other languages.

But ... for me, there is a time and place for everything. You recently had started a separate thread on GS about practicing your Russian language skills, and it pleased me to see that it was a popular thread.
OTOH, I think that randomly throwing a Russian word into your previous post (which I have quoted in entirety) in this thread comes across as an unnecessary bit of pot-stirring, given the frequency of comparisons of U.S. women to Russian women.

Go, Amber!!!

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was about the make the same point. the US ladies in 2018 weren't exactly stellar either that's how a almost total unknown won Nationals and went to the Olympics as US champion and the Junior ranks are much stronger then in 2018..
I don't see how anyone could have a problem with our current group of young skaters. Other than Alysa, this is the most excited I've been for our young ladies in years. Isabeau and Lindsay are burning up the circuit with great performances. When you add Alysa and a "Healthy" Bradie Tennell, I think we're looking great. Outside of Russia, I don't think most countries come close to our depth.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with our current group of young skaters. Other than Alysa, this is the most excited I've been for our young ladies in years. Isabeau and Lindsay are burning up the circuit with great performances. When you add Alysa and a "Healthy" Bradie Tennell, I think we're looking great. Outside of Russia, I don't think most countries come close to our depth.
Japan. They have some pretty good depth. Just we haven’t had the chance to see them on the JGP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I finally get the Amber hype train. She is impressive when she's on. I like her FP a lot better than her SP so far though, wish she had a sassy SP to contrast her FP.
I was just coming here to say the same thing. I tell you what, she is better from the Fan Cam perspective IMO. The girl is fast and her edges are DEEP. This throws another wrench into my Olympic Team. Bradie Tennell will really have to be strong at Nationals. If Amber skates like she did today, I think the crowd would run the Committee out of town if they leave her off the team if she skates like this again.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber is going to need more then just one 3-3 to threaten Bradie if Tennell skates like she usually does at Nationals.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
I was just coming here to say the same thing. I tell you what, she is better from the Fan Cam perspective IMO. The girl is fast and her edges are DEEP. This throws another wrench into my Olympic Team. Bradie Tennell will really have to be strong at Nationals. If Amber skates like she did today, I think the crowd would run the Committee out of town if they leave her off the team if she skates like this again.

Amber still doesn't beat Karen with her BOW yet. Amber is currently in group 4 with her latest SA score. Karen is in group 3. Amber still needs higher score to move up one level (scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds) in next GP. However, it's great to see Amber is improving. Perhaps that can gain her confidence and try 3A in the next competition. Amber is back to conversation with her performance today! Amber PCS is still underscored IMO. Judges are very determined to place Russians higher than others by giving them super generous PCS scores at SA. I still don't understand how Daria is placed higher than Young You. Anyway, this is US skaters forum. I'm not going to elaborate it.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Amber is going to need more then just one 3-3 to threaten Bradie if Tennell skates like she usually does at Nationals.
Here's thing, if Bradie was 100% healthy, this conversation would be over. IMO, Of course. Until we see her, the question mark will be there. Amber has shown that she belongs and if she's on the Podium, it will break my heart if she doesn't go.