2021 Skate Canada: Men's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Men's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Zhenya S has randomly entered the stream.

And Nathan.

Or have we gone back in time? Because how did Nathan change clothes so fast?!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree about the first cut in Nathan's music. I'd prefer if he went back to the original Nemesis over this new program.

Jason's Sinnerman is a true masterpiece. I can't think of a men's SP I've ever enjoyed as much. Superb music, choreography by Rohene Ward, and the amazing skating by Jason Brown. Quite the winning mix.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I wonder what Ignatov needs to do to get the same GOE for his awesome 4Lo as Brown gets for his 3F? How do we say - "to give birth to a child on ice"? :confused:
Tabloid headlines - "Russian male figure skater gave birth right in the jump!!". Even in this case, I think it will be like this - judge see this, sighed and increased the GOE from +2 to +3 :laugh:

Ignatov has criminally low GOE on his stunning quads! ✊

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder what Ignat needs to do to get the same GOE for his awesome 4Lo as Brown gets for his 3F? How do we say - "to give birth to a child on ice"? :confused:

I don’t know, possibly, execute his jump as well as Jason? Which he doesn’t do.

thank God the judges recognized the athletic and sporting qualities necessary to execute a genius program like Sinnerman.

Jason represents this sport at its finest(y)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Chen got higher SS and PE scores than Jason.

I'm sorry WHAT THE FRACK

Yes, yes, I know, I know, Chen is the chosen one, has all the quads, etc etc, but come on. Come on. Nobody with eyes and a single functioning brain cell could look at those programs and decide that Chen was the better skater and that he had the better performance!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think the standings are okay, whatever we think about the actual points. Jason made me cry for joy, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy any others. Nathan was lovely (even if the music isn't my cup of tea, especially at the beginning) and Keegan was...so absolutely Keegan, Really enjoyable. I hope - and I really do because I like Makar's skating - Makar has got the stamina for the FS, that Evgeni improves even more. Happy that Keji will skate in the second group in the Free, and that all those men with mishaps today will do better tomorrow. I like so many of them.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Chen got higher SS and PE scores than Jason.

I'm sorry WHAT THE FRACK

Yes, yes, I know, I know, Chen is the chosen one, has all the quads, etc etc, but come on. Come on. Nobody with eyes and a single functioning brain cell could look at those programs and decide that Chen was the better skater and that he had the better performance!
That's nuts! Nathan is doing well and getting better in PCS, but that just isn't right.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

thank God the judges recognized the athletic and sporting qualities necessary to execute a genius program like Sinnerman.

Ok, you are comparing apples and oranges here. Makar's 4Lo was stunning, and it is the hardest quad to do imo (the ISU disagrees with me). Jason's jumps were all well executed, but they were triples. BIG difference.

readernick

Medalist
Makar needs higher GOEs on his spins and step sequences to be ahead of either Messing or Brown. As it is, he got negative GOE from several judges and he deserved that low GOE. Also, his ice coverage was noticeably limited. Improving that would help him get higher PCS. Mostly though, those spins were painful to watch. Jumps are important, but they aren't everything....

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia

It's just that the judges have a tacit agreement - "we need to help Brown in this brutal world of quads, because he is so artistic." After that, they declare his flip "guaranteed +5". Flip is good, no doubt. But "guaranteed +5", seriously? I know how it works, If an average, not glorified skater jumps the same flip, he will get +3, and here always be +5 and sometimes a brave judge will give +4. And so it is with everything Braun has.

Thank God always "the clock strikes midnight and the carriage turns..", I mean there's always a FP