2021 Skate Canada: Men's Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Men's Short Program

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Jason...I can't believe this kind of performance exists to be watched for free.
In a way, for me this SP performance was even better that seeing the program live at Finlandia few weeks ago - but I guess this is what 360⁰ skating feels like: you pick one thing live, the other watching through the screen.
While Finlandia live experience made me in awe over Jason's overall speed, agility, the sense of everything being so...tasty, organic, connected and nuanced as a whole, seeing it today through camera work made me full body goosebumps over how much detail went into creating program like that AND mastering performance of it to this quality level. The music goes, the body flows - and frankly, I don't need anything else, if the body is Jason's.
Already said it in sms commentary, but - for me, a mark of an artist is about art enriching/accentuating the author and artist enriching/accentuating art created with no separation in between. Jason shows program/performance one after another that there's NOTHING between him, music and movement, just stunned silence of the effect.
I guess it's also *haute couture* treatment Jason's programs get, especially SPs crafted masterfully by Rohene. I have this comparison often in my head towards different things, but - when majority does *ready to wear* stuff based commercial appeal, there's *haute couture* a'la Jason: unique, one of a kind and difficult to forget.

sissyfritz

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
As beautiful as Makar's Loop is and as much as I was rooting for him to have that great comeback tonight, he shouldn't be anywhere near the top 3 until he does something about those truly heinous spins.

readernick

Medalist
Ok, you are comparing apples and oranges here. Makar's 4Lo was stunning, and it is the hardest quad to do imo (the ISU disagrees with me). Jason's jumps were all well executed, but they were triples. BIG difference.
But, that is not how judges are supposed to be judging. Judges should give GOE based on the quality and GOE bullets not the difficulty of the jump. The BV and GOE factorization is affected by the difficulty of the jump, the GOE given by the judges should not be. The judges don't do this correctly in women's skating because quads are still rare, but they do judge more accurately in men's skating. Following the rules is a good thing, imho.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It's just that the judges have a tacit agreement - "we need to help Brown in this brutal world of quads, because he is so artistic." After that, they declare his flip "guaranteed +5". Flip is good, no doubt. But "guaranteed +5", seriously? I know how it works, If an average, not glorified skater jumps the same flip, he will get +3, and here always be +5 and sometimes a brave judge will give +4. And so it is with everything Braun has.

Thank God always "the clock strikes midnight and the carriage turns..", I mean there's always a FP
Excuse me...judges don't need to help Brown in this brutal world, they need to judge on what they see. So, Brown's triple gets good GOE - not the base value of a quad, mind - but on the merits of this jump in itself. GOE is for the execution of the jump in question. He gets good marks for his spins, his choreography, his performance as well. Not because they need to help him, but because of what he executes. I'm not even mentioning the effect his skate has on a viewer. I'm still sniffing because I was so moved by it. Who says his Flip is +5 guaranteed? It's a good one. Just as - rightly so - Makar got good marks for his 4loop (I'm still impressed) and Nathan got good marks for his jumps.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Funny thing...the American judge had Jason the lowest on PCS compared to the other judges...
Doesn't surprise me.

Remember, the USFS head came right out after 2018 Worlds and said Chen and Zhou were the only two US men worth anything. (This was AFTER Zhou completely screwed up 2018 Worlds and US' third spot had to be saved by a functionally-retired veteran.) US put all their eggs in the Chen and Zhou basket and have likely been pretty annoyed that Jason just won't go away.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's just that the judges have a tacit agreement - "we need to help Brown in this brutal world of quads, because he is so artistic." After that, they declare his flip "guaranteed +5". Flip is good, no doubt. But "guaranteed +5", seriously? I know how it works, If an average, not glorified skater jumps the same flip, he will get +3, and here always be +5 and sometimes a brave judge will give +4. And so it is with everything Braun has.

Thank God always "the clock strikes midnight and the carriage turns..", I mean there's always a FP
Uh...what????? :scratch2:

sworddance21

On the Ice
Ok, you are comparing apples and oranges here. Makar's 4Lo was stunning, and it is the hardest quad to do imo (the ISU disagrees with me). Jason's jumps were all well executed, but they were triples. BIG difference.
But the GOE is not based on what other jumps there are - it is based on how well you do THAT jump (or spin, or step sequence, etc) and Jason does what he does flawlessly. So he deserves the GOE he gets added to the base value of the jump he chose to do.