Shoma Uno | Page 915 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

16Olympics

On the Ice
Wow still a rigid 2 week quarantine? I'm assuming it's the same arrangement as WTT last season, where Team Japan got a rink to practice on? At least he has access to a rink, instead of just idling in a hotel room.
He did practice the last time he came back to Japan while he quarantined. He looks really, really fit and a little slimmer to me. May be the black costume. It's too close to GP/GPF, JNats and the OG to not practice for two weeks before NHK. Would love to see what a marriage of the Bolero black costume and the Loco costume would look like for the FS.

circleseven

Rinkside
He did practice the last time he came back to Japan while he quarantined. He looks really, really fit and a little slimmer to me. May be the black costume. It's too close to GP/GPF, JNats and the OG to not practice for two weeks before NHK. Would love to see what a marriage of the Bolero black costume and the Loco costume would look like for the FS.
He wore the same costume just three weeks before during JO2021 but somehow he looks slimmer in SkAm

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An interesting new Now Voice with comments regarding Sk America. I don't mind if Sho looked sleepy, but it bothered me that he never smiled once!!!! He was so, so serious, although maybe he was just trying to control his energy. I'm not used to him being like that! I was glad I made my own smiling Shoma to take to the competition. (See my new avatar. Photo compliments of fellow GS'er iluvtodd)...That might be a little tough that his quarantine ends right before NHK. He can do it though!...Chubby?!?! If he's chubby, I don't know what that makes the rest of us! He did definitely look very slim and trim at Sk America.

Last edited:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I too noticed how slim he looked and his extremely serious and focused attitude towards the practices. Looking back on it now, I do see it more as a result of controlling his emotions than of being tired.

I believe I may have seen a couple of smiles under his mask, so I am satisfied in that regard. Then again, I can always bring up the smile I remember from the victory lap of 4CC 2019 in my mind. 😊

I do hope Shoma is getting enough nutrition while in quarantine, though. I hope he can bring himself to eat a few vegetables at some point. Will definitely be sending him lots of good energy...🦒🙏

16Olympics

On the Ice
Thanks, Shoma, for the message and feimeichang for the translation. I'm happy to hear from him.
I forgot about his tooth problem but he did look thinner probably due to not being able to chew meat and eat as he normally would. But, not drinking soda or sweet drinks definitely made a difference. He's a short man and even a little weight loss shows. I hope he's not affected by some fans saying he looked tired. Factor in jet lag, new surroundings, being hyper-all the protocols-I think in the beginning he may have looked a bit weary but the anxiety really takes it out of the best of us and he rebounded just fine.

I'm confident they have a plan for his diet, training and getting prepared for NHK. He's quarantined but he still can get food (especially protein), practice time and even face time with Stepen. He's going to be up against Vincent again and Yuzu, to name a few who are not quarantining so he's going to be as ready as he can be. I'll be rooting for him b/c his journey to get here is so compelling and his skating is sooo beautiful that when everything comes together for him, it's going to be epic to see.

16Olympics

On the Ice
An interesting new Now Voice with comments regarding Sk America. I don't mind if Sho looked sleepy, but it bothered me that he never smiled once!!!! He was so, so serious, although maybe he was just trying to control his energy. I'm not used to him being like that! I was glad I made my own smiling Shoma to take to the competition. (See my new avatar. Photo compliments of fellow GS'er iluvtodd)...That might be a little tough that his quarantine ends right before NHK. He can do it though!...Chubby?!?! If he's chubby, I don't know what that makes the rest of us! He did definitely look very slim and trim at Sk America.

Love your smiling Shoma!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen him live at 10 competitions (including all the practices) and 2 ice shows and have never seen him that serious. I think maybe (in general) all the skaters were more nervous than usual. And now I'll stop thinking about it...Really looking forward to NHK.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
That Oboe costume is such a chameleon. I've always thought it was dark gray but in some pictures, it looks blue!

Does Shoma even have time to go back to Champery after NHK and before GPF? He'd only have like 2 weeks there, hardly seem worth all the back and forth travels.

16Olympics

On the Ice
That Oboe costume is such a chameleon. I've always thought it was dark gray but in some pictures, it looks blue!

Does Shoma even have time to go back to Champery after NHK and before GPF? He'd only have like 2 weeks there, hardly seem worth all the back and forth travels.
I don't know if he has the time but if he leaves Japan, goes to Champery, he might have to quarantine again if he returns to Japan. Deniss has IDF after NHK. Stephane could return to Japan after that for GPF and nationals in December and then go to SUI until the Olympics. But, there is Deniss to consider. Wouldn't want to be any of these coaches or skaters until the Olympics in Feb. with this schedule.

Last edited:

Figskater23

Final Flight
Perhaps after the Grand Prix final he’ll go back to Champéry and train before Japanese National Championships and then again after that until the Olympics.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Perhaps after the Grand Prix final he’ll go back to Champéry and train before Japanese National Championships and then again after that until the Olympics.
Haha. Forgot about nationals in December. Once he leaves Japan to train in SUI, wonder if he'll just stay there til Olympics? All the quarantine rules re-entering Japan is a factor. And training for Deniss.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Their SBS things are glorious. They are more synchronized than most pairs SBS spins! I wonder how much they practiced it before the show.

On that note, how did Stepen ever compete (and won Worlds) in those pants? It just seem so anti-aerodymanic lol.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
With Yuzu out of NHK, Shoma now has a pretty solid change of making the Final. He just needs silver, which is pretty likely, so he might've WD to have more time to prepare for the GPF.

16Olympics

On the Ice
With Yuzu out of NHK, Shoma now has a pretty solid change of making the Final. He just needs silver, which is pretty likely, so he might've WD to have more time to prepare for the GPF.
Logistically it was going to be tough. He can't even get to SUI to work with Stephane so hopefully all will work out for everyone both athletically and health wise.