2021 NHK Trophy: Rhythm Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy: Rhythm Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If I have to predict it now I'm saying
P/C, S/K and H/D
(which is kind of a safe set of choices but ID is usually the most predictable)

I just can't see anyone even touching Russia for the gold. I'm more interested in who they choose than if they win (because they will). I figure the US is a lock for the silver (baring a Nathan meltdown) but the most interesting competition will be for bronze. I'm am rooting for Japan and Italy personally and will be happy if either win.
oh i am not ready to start talking about the team event. but it's clearly Russia's to lose

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think it would be great if there was more of a battle for gold (more teams) but unless S/K have some kind of meltdown I can't see them not at least getting the silver. More interesting to me is that Nikita should have four ID medals after the Olympics. That puts him in the same conversation piece as V/M.
I’m no fan of Nikita, who is too sloppy for my taste, but in all fairness I must point out that if he wins a medal in Beijing he will have won with two different partners, which is is a pretty remarkable achievement.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m no fan of Nikita, who is too sloppy for my taste, but in all fairness I must point out that if he wins a medal in a Beijing he will have won with two different partners, which is is a pretty remarkable achievement.
what i would find remarkable is the time between the medals... 8 years... but two different partners? i have a hard time praising him for that...

rain

Record Breaker
I cannot understand for the life of me how that dated mess by Sinitsina/Katsalapov beat Chock/Bates on PCS. PCS!?! Chock/Bates have one of the best rhythm dances of the season, and S/K's is, well, lacking, in every respect from his bowling shirt to the two of them seeming to have little to no feel for the music at all (and the music choice seems tacky, and not in a fun way). Chock/Bates actually beat them in TES.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cannot understand for the life of me how that dated mess by Sinitsina/Katsalapov beat Chock/Bates on PCS. PCS!?! Chock/Bates have one of the best rhythm dances of the season, and S/K's is, well, lacking, in every respect from his bowling shirt to the two of them seeming to have little to no feel for the music at all (and the music choice seems tacky, and not in a fun way). Chock/Bates actually beat them in TES.
I thought they actually skated better at the test skates.

Last edited:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
That was the lowest Stepanova/Bukin have scored since the 2018 GPF, so I don't know about that theory.
Exactly. I think the judging has been pretty fair across the GPs so far. Not everything is a conspiracy especially when Western and Eastern judges are giving comparable scores to teams.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I've been rooting for Sofia and Igor since they've had some of my favorite free dances the last few seasons but that... was kind of a mess. :(
Me too - I really like them but this dance was not great. Too many music changes and they don’t look comfortable. They should have maybe gone for the swing/blues option cause they don’t look that comfortable with hip hop. Or picked better music with less rhythm changes.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
C/B’s RD is much more interesting than S/K’s and better put together IMO. However, C/B do feel a bit slow at times. I don’t know if that’s just me?

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Just caught up with this now:

• S/K - Still unsure what I think of the programme - I think for me it feels a little dated. Pretty good skate considering his injury though. Get new costumes now - these are so hideous, sorry! I much prefer Vika's jumpsuit and Nikita's shirt is just atrocious and takes away from their lines (made their twizzles look more messy imo). P/C look expensive and this looks... a bit Primark?
  • C/B - Are the US deciding to cement them as no.1 here? They basically lost SA on levels so... This RD is ok and I can see why they chose it - although they don't skate as fast I think the music disguises it quite well. Her twizzles were a bit messy though?
  • F/G - hm, I think Lewis' error on the MB was maybe not as noted in the score as it should have been? I still think this is the better of their 2 programmes this year but I wish they'd have gone down a different route - oh well!
  • H/K - Ok, so I'm generally more into H/K than S/D but this season, H/K just aren't shining the same for me. I loved this RD the first time I saw it but every time since it's been a bit flat for me. Also they looked sloooow after L/L.
  • L/L - They get better every outing with this and I like how they attack however, this RD is not coherent enough for me. I think it would be better if it had a better theme running through it like other teams have (an artist, a time period, a movie etc). I also would like to see them change their costumes.
  • M/T - I love this. It is so so wonderfully choreographed - this is exactly what my wish was with this theme. I would've loved to have seen people embrace the hip hop culture in their countries (like French hip hop is pretty big; so many skaters are from Detroit - why didn't they embrace the deep rooted hip hop culture from there etc). So much improvement and you can see why the Japanese fed probably want to send them to the OG.
  • K/K - I think this is an ok programme but I still don't enjoy them - there isn't much of a connection on the ice and they just don't have much speed or even confidence when it comes to elements like twizzles. Kind of felt generic after M/T.
  • N/N - They have so many good qualities, but this didn't look very confident. I'm with Mark though, that lift is so great and frankly they were robbed with the GOE on that.
  • S/E - So pleased to have them back! I think it was pretty good given how unwell she's been over the summer. Not sure how I feel about the programme - I think its better than S/N's. Russia truly have dropped them though.
Overall pretty good but definitely think that H/B were missed here - this theme is clearly one that suits them and I think they'd have had teh best shot of bronze here given that F/G are in that spot with a less than spotless showing.

rain

Record Breaker
Definitely not! I like seeing S/K do something different (for them) but P/C’s whacking RD is so much better.
There is no universe in which these two programs should be mentioned in the same breath. P/C's RD (which I think still needs tweaking, and perhaps a new song in the middle section) is sophisticated, precise, intricate, cool and well-skated. S/K's is none of those things. To even be talking about S/K being on the Olympic podium with that dance is nothing but politicking at its worst.

Nika09

On the Ice
Just by watching Daisuke, taking a short look at his career one can say how much he loves figure skating. He loves to be there at the big stage...and he loves dancing for sure. It's admirable that he don't want to give up. If it's impossible one way, then he's trying another one just to be here. I liked him as a single skater and now wishing him/their team all the best as dancer.
Their SD with Kana is unique and costumes are so beautiful btw this hair style suits Kana very well. And imho: one of the prettiest lifts out there in SD's

P.S. it was a while since last time I was here, commenting...so it's good to be back 😁 Want to remind that English is not my native language, as you supposedly noticed 😆 so apologising for mistakes and misunderstandings in advance. Have a good time!