2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do people think Lindsay is so good? I thought everything she did looked slow and telegraphed.
She's not quite a superior skater, but she is very good.

She gets her jumps around fairly easily, she has good extension which makes for good spins. She's very precise with her movements - nothing loose or sloppy. She's working hard on that 3A, and keeps going for it in her LPs - a good sign.

To make the jump to great, she needs to project better than she does, skate with more swagger. Fans of Lindsay believe this will come with experience.

She also needs new music, but that's a personal opinion.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Under 30 PCS for Amber. Look I get the jumps didn’t go well but it seems like they were trying to send a message.
They didn't need to send a message. After the first error on the combo, she deflated. After the second mistake on the loop, it was lke watching someone march towards execution. It simply wasn't good, and it was scored the way she skated it.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#MariahBell - "I've learned what I need to do after the Grand Prix. I really worked on the last couple of seasons to stay focused and to be mellow today. I don't want to be robotic, but I tried my best to stay in the moment."

Amei

Record Breaker
Why do people think Lindsay is so good? I thought everything she did looked slow and telegraphed.

Does Lindsay have room for improvement yes - but she's improved dramatically in a year. Her jumps were not questionable whatsoever: Mariah and Karen both had URs overlooked here and Alysa had a downgrade on her triple axel ignored. To win in the senior ranks right now internationally is going to take point grabbing elements in 2020+ that means jumps not spirals. Would she win internationally this season as a senior probably not, but she probably could have been closer than Karen, Amber or Mariah. I mean Mariah it was debatable if we were going to see a triple-triple out of her today at the senior nationals with an Olympic spot on the line.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
They didn't need to send a message. After the first error on the combo, she deflated. After the second mistake on the loop, it was lke watching someone march towards execution. It simply wasn't good, and it was scored the way she skated it.

I thought her spins and steps were beautiful and well done. The steps were much better quality than Lindsay’s. Faster and with much more expression.

zebobes

Final Flight
It's actually really fascinating how the skating skills break down below the top two. I think the ranking of the skaters is actually quite nuanced. I like how Levito's PCS are all quite high, except for skating skills, where she is down in 8. In a few categories, she is actually higher than Liu. Hopefully this gives her the push to improve.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Enjoyable event tonight. Great skates from Mariah (love her simple but elegant dress) & Karen. I agree with the judges for Mariah first and Karen just behind cause Karen's combo was obviously under or at least q as it was marked. Isabeau is just so lovely to watch, what a great debut - and a great debut from Kate Wang too! Lindsay was solid but really needs to find her performing side. Sad that Alysa missed her triple axel... wish she could've done the warmup one in competition but she never seems to let a mistake blow up the rest of her program and contrary to what Johnny said I thought she performed it very well. Sad to see Audrey and Starr have off performances and really really sad for Amber - how heartbreaking for her. Gabby did well, though no three three. And Gracie had me in tears - what a redemption skate!

I have no idea how they all will do in the free, gonna be nerve wracking for sure!

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Lindsay is just the only one skater in this group who has been consistent all season with triple/triple jump.

I hope that she success on a triple axel in the FS, that would shut every mouth who doesn't believe in her skating.

Me, I believe that she can get a spot on the olympic.

GGFan

Record Breaker
After all of these years of watching figure skating I finally bit the bullet and decided to attend nationals. A couple thoughts: (1) I've enjoyed it thus far immensely, (2) I'll definitely be doing again, and (3) you feel so much protective of every single skater when you're live. My heart was on my sleeve.

Now on to some of the memorable performances:

Jill Heiner: She really lit up that first group. She was thrilled with her performance and she brought us along.

Isabeau Levito: Pure class. She may not be the fastest out there, but the positions, the arm movements, etc. She has all the things we love about old school skating.

Gracie Gold: The emotional performance of the night. The crowd cheered her through everything and we were all on our feet. I think she was scored fairly however. Her in betweens, her projection, and speed weren't at the very top level.

Mariah Bell: I'm so proud of her! At the beginning of the season I thought she might be out of it but she was a rock here. She got us out of our seats as well.

Karen Chen: I was praying for her jumps and she survived. Loved watching her spins in person and I also enjoyed the fire during the step sequence.

Lindsay Thorngren: She's a bit stiff but I really appreciated her cleanliness and her spin positions.

I felt REALLY bad for Amber Glenn. That was hard to watch.

The last group of the free should be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
That's the most I've enjoyed a US Nationals Women's competition in quite a while! So much to love about this - really good skating at all levels. I found the developing skaters all the way up to the "seasoned pros" enjoyable, with the exception of Amber's heartbreaking skate. I think her caution and nerves outdid her. I wish so much she would have just gone for the 3A, but I hope she can at least have an FS she's proud of.

One of the hidden gems for me in this competition was Jill Heiner. I hadn't heard of her before but really enjoyed her skate. I think she shows a lot of promise. I would have had her above Audrey Shin.I

Gracie's skate...brought all the feels. Can't believe she's in the final flight. So happy for her.

Kate Wang was another pleasant surprise, as was Gabby Izzo, who improved a lot from last year, I think.

Mariah and Karen so wonderful! After all the "mis-matched" programs and other heartbreak, her team got it right -- and she nailed it! Her performance just sung! And I loved the different feel of Karen's program. It was nice to see her not do a ballad. I think the fierceness in her skating really worked for her.

I'm sorry that Bradie had to WD though. Edited because I thought Mia Kalin WD, but she competed in Juniors, and the WD was Finley Hawk (Thanks for the correction and info!)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was worried Mariah's combo was UR. Great work by all the ladies. Right now it looks good for the USFA to get their desired team in ladies.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Had Alysa just done a double axel she would have been a couple of points higher if you consider the deduction for the fall and therefore only one point behind Karen.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mariah's short is so elemental to me -- straight shot to my soul. A river goddess, telling mere mortals what it would be to have the knowledge of water, earth, sky. She made an incredible decision to switch to that program.
So well said. Both programs are now perfect for her, play to her strengths of soulful, elegant, warm, inviting skating. She looked like she was having the time of her life out there today and hope she can repeat it tomorrow. Still could loose the top spot, but if she's clean she proved all the nay sayers wrong.

Super proud and thrilled with all the ladies, other than Amber. My heart broke for her, especially because you could feel how bad she wanted this and how crushed she was afterward. hugs.