2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program

readernick

Medalist
After seeing the replay I must disagree. I thought it was actually pretty well around, less than a quarter short, which is good for Mariah. She does have a hook on the end of it because she's trying so hard to get it around, which makes it look somewhat more questionable than it was. But if you look at the angle of the blade on the ice, I thought she deserved the clean call here.
I actually agree that while a bit short of full rotation it was less than a quarter short so clean by judging standards. At least, this is how it looked on replay. Karen's 3T was under by more than a quarter though so it really deserved a > but, of course, they didn't give it to her. They were both overscored but I think they both did much better than expected so I'm not begrudging the scores. I would have put Alysa under both Isabeau and Lindsay. She is a charming performer but this wasn't her best and she had a fall so I thought the PCS was too high. Anyway, it really will all come down to the LP. No one in the top group is so far ahead that they can't be caught. Best is luck to all!

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I actually agree that while a bit short of full rotation it was less than a quarter short so clean by judging standards. At least, this is how it looked on replay. Karen's 3T was under by more than a quarter though so it really deserved a > but, of course, they didn't give it to her. They were both overscored but I think they both did much better than expected so I'm not begrudging the scores. I would have put Alysa under both Isabeau and Lindsay. She is a charming performer but this wasn't her best and she had a fall so I thought the PCS was too high. Anyway, it really will all come down to the LP. No one in the top group is so far ahead that they can't be caught. Best is luck to all!
I agree. I love watching Alysa, but today wasn't her day. With Isabeau, she is a Junior skater, and when Alysa first did Senior Nats, she was scored a bit lower. As for Lindsay, she tends to be scored low. She has great jumps and technical elements, with beautiful spins as well. And of course, good luck to the skaters in the FS!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
How are you watching Canadians, may I ask? I know you’re in the US :)
The current plan is setting my VPN to Toronto and pulling up the CBC website, haha. I think last time around (when I wasn't paying for a VPN) the first groups were on dailymotion unblocked but I had to resort to dodgy streams to find the top skaters.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Johnny was making me sick talking about the Russians’ great artistry/performance. Oh really? Who needs artistry when you have quads?
There really is no point of comparison between Russian women's figure skating versus what we saw tonight. The quality, performance, art and technique is superior without a doubt.

However, it is good to see these girls working towards fulfilling their Olympic dream.

At this point I think the team should be Karen, Mariah and Lindsay.

Alysa has really gotten worse, it is seen that she does not enjoy skating, however, it seems that she is a lock for the Olympic team.

Did anyone else actually think Mariah’s jumps were around?

I’m not saying I agree with the placement but I thought they were around.
I thought Mariah's jumps were fine. Of the top two, Karen Chen gave the more gripping performance emotionally.

The next task for Alysa Liu is to develop a more distinctive on-ice presence and personality. The spunky 13-year-old jumping bean that everyone fell in love with -- that was then, what now?

And what a moment for Gracie Gold!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
TBF, she was told to switch because her previous SP was a disaster. Mariah was not convincing as a nightclubber ETA: and it did not play to her strengths.

I'm glad she, or her team, listened to reason.(y)
Of course, but she/her team could've picked anything, and they came up with this, and I am so glad they did!

Wow, has Alysa grown taller just since the GP? Agree with @Tinymavy15 that she already seems to have outgrown the program somehow. Still, mainly I really wish she would be sharper, crisper, and not so rushed-looking with her programs. Almost throwing her choreo away. Of course, overall she's a solid competitor.

Last edited:

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
I made it to Nashville this morning under very stressful and horrific driving conditions. Glad I’m alive to tell the tale! Impressions from seeing these talented ladies live:

-Mariah was lovely and has nice flow across the ice. I might have switched her and Karen’s scores simply due to personal preference. I like Karen better as a performer.
-Lindsey wuzrobbed, should’ve gone ahead of Alysa. I like Alysa but the performance wasn’t fully there today. I’ve seen her do that SP much better.
-Isabeau‘s program is so beautiful to watch! It actually made a better impression on me seeing it in the arena than when I saw her on the JGP. She has a good connection with the music. She’s said her favorite skater is Medvedeva and I can see some influence there.
-Gracie had The Moment of the night. It was so nice to see her back to good form, if not fully where she was before her troubles. The crowd was with her every step.
-I…. Don’t really want to talk about Amber or I might start crying again!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There really is no point of comparison between Russian women's figure skating versus what we saw tonight. The quality, performance, art and technique is superior without a doubt.

However, it is good to see these girls working towards fulfilling their Olympic dream.

At this point I think the team should be Karen, Mariah and Lindsay.

Alysa has really gotten worse, it is seen that she does not enjoy skating, however, it seems that she is a lock for the Olympic team.
Karen and Mariah today were far superior in artistry. And Alysa, in terms of personality and performance, is usually a more engaging skater. The fall hurt her performance today but she wasn’t just going through the motions like Johnny said. I think she was underscored in PCS.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
They didn't need to send a message. After the first error on the combo, she deflated. After the second mistake on the loop, it was lke watching someone march towards execution. It simply wasn't good, and it was scored the way she skated it.
Sadly, this is such an on point assessment. I just rewatched and you could just see the energy drain away

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, did I just see Alysa Liu give two middle fingers in the kiss and cry after her scores. LOL!

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Karen and Mariah today were far superior in artistry. And Alysa, in terms of personality and performance, is usually a more engaging skater. The fall hurt her performance today but she wasn’t just going through the motions like Johnny said. I think she was underscored in PCS.
Alysa, really?
Of the top group, it is undoubtedly the most messy, youthful, careless and forgettable skating tonight. I think it all has to do with the pressure that this Olympic cycle put on her, which caused her annoyance at figure skating.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
I thought Mariah’s combo was under rotated for sure! Maybe it is that hook that makes it look worse than it is. Don‘t get me wrong, I’m glad Mariah has made this comeback. But if her name had been Karen Chen, they would have called it. In any case, glad Karen and Mariah brought their A-game tonight as they are often written off.

I agree Alysa has outgrown her SP. Her arm movements look like throwaway movements without intention. She has a lot of charisma though and is already experienced enough to not make the rest of the program suffer after a fall. I think she‘s definitely going to Olympics even if she skates so-so tomorrow.