2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

Weathergal

Medalist
On the NBC wrapup, both Tara and Johnny picked Nathan, Vincent, Ilia for the Olympics.

I include this NOT because I think their opinions are deciding factors, but because I wonder how much of what they broadcast is telegraphing the USFSA message.... as in, they're gathering intel behind the scenes about various scenarios and repackage that as commentary.
Ugh, you have a good point - heartbroken for Jason if that's the case.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Vincent got some help from the tech panel, who ignored a couple of UR's that were obvious to my naked eye. Had these been properly called, he would be behind Jason.
And Jason was helped when they only gave him a Q on his overrotated 3 salchow and cheated by giving him 10's in PCS despite that being against the rules with a fall.

Its all a wash.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think they should still select Jason. The third spot is kind of irrelevant because whether it's Jason or Ilia, the third US man is not going to be on the podium--not with Hanyu and Yuma as competition. Ilia's jumps look like ladies' quads and he is not there at all yet on the second mark. He is also untested at such a high level. Send Ilia to Jr. Worlds. He is the future. Jason is the present.

Yes, But again, 4 years ago they sent Vincent over Ross because it made more sense to give Vincent
Olympic experience, and while I agree that Jason will probably be chosen, Why not apply that argument for Ilia
Who finished higher here than Vincent finished 4 years ago?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I should be excited but I am really sad as someone I like will not be going to the Olys. I want Nathan and Vincent and Jason but Iila is so deserving.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On the NBC wrapup, both Tara and Johnny picked Nathan, Vincent, Ilia for the Olympics.

I include this NOT because I think their opinions are deciding factors, but because I wonder how much of what they broadcast is telegraphing the USFSA message.... as in, they're gathering intel behind the scenes about various scenarios and repackage that as commentary.
And Terry reportedly picked Jason.

Ben Agosto, on the Olympic Channel, rightly reminded everyone that Jason has an incredible international record and a proven record of results including this season. He's not to be thrown aside lightly in favour of the shiny new toy.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
i feel so bad for jason. With the group selection it sounds like Ilia is trending higher so he'll go over Jason (and why would they skip the 2nd place by over 20 points for 4th?). Vincent/Jason was only .3 point difference. Team was notified but we wont find out til 645 EST.
Over 20 points? Where? 302,48-289,78=12,70
Only 12 points above a skater with errors and 6 or 7 quads less? If the quads happen to not work, he won't even score 222 like in Austria. While Jason is guaranteed a top 10, Ilia may not even make the free based on his own BOW. He doesn't even have Worlds minimum scores internationally.

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i feel so bad for jason. With the group selection it sounds like Ilia is trending higher so he'll go over Jason (and why would they skip the 2nd place by over 20 points for 4th?). Vincent/Jason was only .3 point difference. Team was notified but we wont find out til 645 EST.
And how is Vincent trending...anyone know

shan22044

On the Ice
Omg are they serious with Zhou’s protocol??
The first lutz was WAY under. Next two were a q.

Next one was under and they call a q.

The second quad Lutz was NOT around.

The 3S was <<<<<<<<<<< (not downgraded im just giving emphasis)

Dude would have gotten annihilated by the ISU
It was a terrible performance. Even without those technical details, it was just not good to watch. And I like him, so...I dunno...

Country
Norway
Jason has to be a bag of nerves right now. His Olympic spot is being debated, plus his coach has tested positive. And when does he get tested next? ❤️s going his way.
I´m worried for him testing positive. I hate to say this but his forehead looked wet before he started his FS, and he wasn´t skating right after warm up and the same at the medal ceremony. I hope it´s just my imagination or it´s just normal reaction after warming up. But I dunno, just got a bad feeling. I hope i´m totally wrong and that Jason will be fine and selected for OG.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, But again, 4 years ago they sent Vincent over Ross because it made more sense to give Vincent
Olympic experience, and while I agree that Jason will probably be chosen, Why not apply that argument for Ilia
Who finished higher here than Vincent finished 4 years ago?
They actually picked Adam over Ross. There was no doubt that Vincent was going to be on the team that year.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think they should still select Jason. The third spot is kind of irrelevant because whether it's Jason or Ilia, the third US man is not going to be on the podium--not with Hanyu and Yuma as competition. Ilia's jumps look like ladies' quads and he is not there at all yet on the second mark. He is also untested at such a high level. Send Ilia to Jr. Worlds. He is the future. Jason is the present.

While there is a point to still send Jason (Ilia hasn't done much internationally in senior events, and Brown has GP medals this year and is a perennial fave), it is really hard to ignore that Malinin scored 22 points higher (deserved to be 25 with Brown getting a q instead of a < on his 4S) on TES, and in the SP Malinin executed 2 quads and 11 points higher TES than Jason. That 33 point discrepancy in TES score cannot be made up by Brown's artistic ability.

USFS is always looking for the next best thing. Brown lit it up in 2014 Nationals and got his newbie moment and earned a trip to the Olympics over Aaron/Farris even without quads - something he still doesn't reliably have and never has.

I think Malinin deserves his moment now.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thoughts from the arena: (1) I'm really happy that I finally decided to come to Nationals--every part of the experience has been positive, (2) It was lovely to see the Hall of Fame ceremony. I didn't know I would find it so moving, (3) I hope people remember all of those years when we had no men doing quads consistently and be patient with the women.

Memorable performances:

(1) Dihn Tran: He made some spectacular saves on his jumps. It was awesome to see someone just trying that hard. This is the biggest stage for skaters like himself and he had a great day.

(2) Liam Kapeikis: This is was the first truly special performance of the session. Liam has some very nice qualities including him jump landings and his overall skating. It was a pleasure to watch him.

(3) Yaro: We were gutted for him. I think if I was watching from home I would have been sad, but you feel for the person that much more in person. What a rough year for him. I'm thrilled he had that amazing short program. The crowd loves him.

(4) Camden Pulkinen: I have never seen Camden put down two programs like this in one competition. I don't love Moulin Rouge but it was a really nice performance overall. I hope he can keep this consistency.

(5) Jason Brown: The performance of the afternoon hands down!! I love that Jason is like a rock star at Nationals. The roar that he gets is really special. I have always appreciated if not loved his Schindler's list program but today was spectacular. The way he caressed the music and made so many special moments was amazing. I don't know if it comes across on the screen but the program is a stunner in person.

It was sad to watch Vincent imploding. I will say that in person he got the benefit of the doubt. A couple more of those jumps looked questionable.

(6) Ilia Malinin: My mouth is still open! This kid is a star. If this is how he reacts to pressure he has a bright future ahead. Vincent and Jason put up scores in the high 200s--you would think that would move him. Not at all. His jumps are just so easy, with no question as to whether they are clean or not. I think his spinning was better in the short but that's really nitpicking. He will mature. The sky is the limit.

(7) Nathan Chen: I was pretty nervous for this because Ilia brought it. Overall I was really happy. He has a lot of swag with Rocketman and it makes him look like a champion. The fall on the flip didn't bother me too much. I appreciate that he's being ambitious by repeating it and I understand that he had to change the layout (but I still prefer the old one--the 3A with the music used to be a moment). Silly fall during the choreo sequence but it was actually nice to see him laugh about something instead of beat himself up over it. I think he will be ready for Beijing. The crowd was extremely appreciative.

I would not want to be on that committee. Some of it rings similar to 2018, but I think this might be tougher in some sense because it's really tempting to try to invest in Ilia. Having said that I still think it's Nathan, Vincent, and Jason.

Edited because I made a major mistake.

Last edited:

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they’ll stream it separately? I can then FF through all the concert parts.
Figure Skating | Prevagen Skating Spectacular | Toyota US Championships | Nashville
19:15