Peacock Documentary “Meddling” | Golden Skate

Peacock Documentary “Meddling”

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, just what we all wanted. Yet another documentary on SLC judging controversy. It is a 4 parter.

Guess it is an anniversary.

This one is executive produced by Tara Lipinski and Todd Kapostasy.

American pairs team McBeath and Bartholomey do some of the skating sequences.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I will be honest by admitting that I don't care for Sale/Pelletier's skating and actions/comments outside of skating. Yes, I can acknowledge that meddling did occur and I will watch the documentary simply based on that. Though nobody can tell me differently that Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze did not deserve to win the OGM.

As for my thoughts on the Ice Dance event and Anissina/Peizerat winning ..... there is no need for me to comment on that. Take a look at my avatar, IYKYK hahah.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
I thought I would be sick to death of this story, but I actually like what I've seen so far. I love Scott Hamilton and he does a very good job in this.- (if it had featured Christine Brennan I would have turned it off in warp speed.) Watching those programs after all these years-I think Sale/Pelletier were far superior, even if their tech content was lower, and they were reusing an old program. I had forgotten about Elena being abused by the first partner. So far I think the documentary is very well done. And I am so grateful that the crooked 6.0 judging system was scrapped.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought I would be sick to death of this story, but I actually like what I've seen so far. I love Scott Hamilton and he does a very good job in this.- (if it had featured Christine Brennan I would have turned it off in warp speed.) Watching those programs after all these years-I think Sale/Pelletier were far superior, even if their tech content was lower, and they were reusing an old program. I had forgotten about Elena being abused by the first partner. So far I think the documentary is very well done. And I am so grateful that the crooked 6.0 judging system was scrapped.
Liking you for saying you would turn off CB. I recall thinking the Russians were better. I will have to watch it to see if I still think so.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Liking you for saying you would turn off CB. I recall thinking the Russians were better. I will have to watch it to see if I still think so.
Someone (I forget who, I think it was one of the judges) mentioned in episode 2 that whether you think the Canadian or the Russian pair was better is very much a matter of which style of figure skating you appreciate more, and that it happens that which style is most appreciate fell along the old Cold War political lines. But the documentary at least acknowledges that plenty of people in good faith believe Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze were better on the day (even if none of those people work for NBC).

So far I like it better than the Netflix show. Seems a bit more even handed (though obviously still biased towards Salé / Pelletier), Salé is also less insufferable in it so far. It's nice that they managed to get all four protagonists to participate (the Netflix show didn't have Sikharulidze) and it seems they will be interviewing both S/P and B/S together, which is pretty neat.

I think they did a very good job covering both pairs backstory and making them both very sympathetic. And just like in the Netflix show Berezhnaya and especially Moskvina are just great interviewees.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Is this documentary available anywhere else besides Peacock? I can't subscribe or watch since I'm in Canada.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The 2002 Olympics is like Princess Diana--so many documentaries and we keep watching. This was better than I thought it would be.
Every time I hear Elena's story I feel more certain they should have won on a human level alone. What an incredible woman to come back from what she endured, and not only come back but be the top of her sport. She and Anton were a beautiful story.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I watched 2 episodes and they didnt offer me more yet. I am new at this...will there be 4?
What makes this series superior is that you get the words right out of everyone's mouths.
So far I see three important stories. One is the history on how these two couples got to where they were at the start of the FS. In their own words and in the words of those who were close to them. Two. The clash of east meets west. Arguments can be made that Judges of the Russian school of pairs back then prefered the ballet style of E and A, While others would prefer J and D's emotional to Westerners who know "Love Story" performance. (I did not appreciate the cheep shot about recycled programs... Jason can do Riverdance again and Nathan can do Rocketman and Mariah can do anything she wants ;) ) The third story is not yet developed until the next episode appears and that is who pressured who to do what for what reasons. I will be tapping my foot (sorry...bad joke...the devil made me do it) until the next episode!
Spoiler alert! Dont read this 2008/revised 2015 article if you dont want to know what happens!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The 2002 Olympics is like Princess Diana--so many documentaries and we keep watching. This was better than I thought it would be.
Every time I hear Elena's story I feel more certain they should have won on a human level alone. What an incredible woman to come back from what she endured, and not only come back but be the top of her sport. She and Anton were a beautiful story.
I agree that her story is amazing...being beaten more than once....then the terrible accident...being rescued.....and actually recovering.....I always wanted her and Anton to get married and live happily ever after....but it seems that even both their marriages didnt last....
(hummmm...Evan Bates Achillies tendon cut in two....becomes national champion....can I hope that he and MC will last forever?)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched 2 episodes and they didnt offer me more yet. I am knew at this...will there be 4?
What makes this series superior is that you get the words right out of everyone's mouths.
So far I see three important stories. One is the history on how these two couples got to where they were at the start of the FS. In their own words and in the words of those who were close to them. Two. The clash of east meets west. Arguments can be made that Judges of the Russian school of pairs back then prefered the ballet style of E and A, While others would prefer J and D's emotional to Westerners who know "Love Story" performance. (I did not appreciate the cheep shot about recycled programs... Jason can do Riverdance again and Nathan can do Rocketman and Mariah can do anything she wants ;) ) The third story is not yet developed until the next episode appears and that is who pressured who to do what for what reasons. I will be tapping my foot (sorry...bad joke...the devil made me do it) until the next episode!
Spoiler alert! Dont read this 2008/revised 2015 article if you dont want to know what happens!
They started by releasing 2 episodes, then one per week for the next two weeks. It’s all to build excitement for the Olympics🙄

There are a couple of documentaries about other sports. There’s one on curling.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, just what we all wanted. Yet another documentary on SLC judging controversy. It is a 4 parter.

Guess it is an anniversary.

This one is executive produced by Tara Lipinski and Todd Kapostasy.

American pairs team McBeath and Bartholomey do some of the skating sequences.
I am really enjoying the history right from the horses' mouths. OK, so its four parts. Do we know when 3 and 4 will appear"

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They started by releasing 2 episodes, then one per week for the next two weeks. It’s all to build excitement for the Olympics🙄

There are a couple of documentaries about other sports. There’s one on curling.
Just cant get excited about watching curling. Or Golf. I think those sports are best enjoyed by the players.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I agree with you about the old judging system....but the new system is not transparent enough for me. I think it would be fun to have a modern day judging panel go back and judge both the short and free under the new system.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with you about the old judging system....but the new system is not transparent enough for me. I think it would be fun to have a modern day judging panel go back and judge both the short and free under the new system.
But the old system was not transparent at all. No way to really make a judged system “fair.” I was watching trampolining over the summer and it is a combo of judged and not judged. Time in the air is a component and that is calculated automatically. Wonder if any part of the tech side of skating could use such a system.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the old system was not transparent at all. No way to really make a judged system “fair.” I was watching trampolining over the summer and it is a combo of judged and not judged. Time in the air is a component and that is calculated automatically. Wonder if any part of the tech side of skating could use such a system.

I once made the suggestion that if figures were to be re-introduced, having computer analysis and automated scoring would make it much more interesting, and that would remove the perception (right or wrong) that judges used figures to manipulate outcomes.

And to those who believe nobody would watch that... I also pointed out that people watch children's spelling bees and adult beanbag throwing on ESPN... neither of which I can fathom investing five minutes to view.