ISU Olympic Winter Games 2022 Entries/Participation Figure Skating Team Event | Golden Skate

ISU Olympic Winter Games 2022 Entries/Participation Figure Skating Team Event

16Olympics

On the Ice

1. Qualified Team Entries
According to the Qualification System for the Figure Skating Team Event, the following Teams have qualified for the Figure Skating Team Event at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, in Beijing / CHN (in order of qualification):
#
NOC/ISU MemberPointsTeams also qualified for Individual Events
(see ISU Communication 2428)
MenWomenPair SkatingIce Dance
1RUS5947
2USA5209
3CAN3949
4JPN3830
5CHN2809
6ITA*2774a*
FRA1878x*x*
KOR1781x*x*
7GER*1480a*
GBR1474x*x*
8GEO1472
AUT1183x*x*
EST1162x*x*
9CZE1137
BEL1111x*x*x*
BLR896x*x*
10UKR*893a*
a* ITA, GER and UKR are considered as an incomplete, qualified Team. They can use the “additional athlete quota” (see paragraph 3 below) to complete their Team.
ITA: 1 additional Athlete Quota for Women
GER: 1 additional Athlete Quota for Men
UKR: 2 additional Athlete Quota for Pair Skating (2 Athletes)
x* These NOCs/ISU Members (FRA, KOR, GBR, AUT, EST, BEL, BLR) are ranked among the top Teams but do not fulfill the requirement to have an entry in at least 3 competitions/disciplines of the Individual Events. Consequently, they are not considered as a Team. However, should a late replacement be needed and one of these NOC/ISU Member

Reading further down in the announcement is how replacements/medical substitutions will be handled.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised Japan didn't consider giving a team spot and individual spots for ice dance to 2 separate couples.

I do not believe the rules permit that. Japan only qualified one ice dance team at Worlds, and thus to the Olympics. They can only use that one ice dance team in the team event. (the same with their pair team).

pearly

Record Breaker
That's right (re: Japanese ID teams).

I saw yesterday that Vincent Zhou was on his way to Beijing. I think that might mean he is doing the team event. Although the men's event is very close to the TE, so might not mean anything, however I think he'll do team as well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's right (re: Japanese ID teams).

I saw yesterday that Vincent Zhou was on his way to Beijing. I think that might mean he is doing the team event. Although the men's event is very close to the TE, so might not mean anything, however I think he'll do team as well.

I believe Vincent will do the Team Event, but I'm not sure this post is evidence of that.

Tom Z was somewhat confusing in his post, by saying on the way to Beijing in the IG post but then in Twitter said "First Leg. Beijing Olympics". Ashley Cain-Gribble posted that she was flying to LA for team processing and training in the bubble, and Karen Chen posted a "travel outfit" in her IG stories.

My own guess, reading them all together, is that the US team is gathering in LA and flying from there. But it does take some connecting the dots, so I could be completely wrong. :)

pearly

Record Breaker
A figure skating coach who will be going to the Olympics told me they are very strict with the rules of staying there and said people would have to leave the day after the event. However I am not sure if that only means staff or athletes as well. When we spoke, he did not know how the Opening ceremony would work and if there would be a parade of nations.

Obviously the skaters who are skating in the gala or those who did the team event and are then staying in Beijing until their individual events will remain in the village or at a separate training location (if rules allow). The schedule for figure skating of course shows a lot of extra practices throughout February which is of course required for everyone who needs to stay for the entire duration of the event and train for their individual, as well as Worlds.

pearly

Record Breaker
Twitter seems to think Russia will use no alternates in the team event, and is using Kamila, Mark, Mishina Galiamov and Sinitsina Katsalapov for both programs. I am not sure why.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Twitter seems to think Russia will use no alternates in the team event, and is using Kamila, Mark, Mishina Galiamov and Sinitsina Katsalapov for both programs. I am not sure why.
the reasons to do that is to make sure of the gold medal. Canada more or less did that in 2018... they only swapped Gabby for the LP and did not use their second alternate to make sure V/M or D/R would score as highly as possible, in case men or women didn't... In the end, Patrick won the LP... and the gold was a done deal but they alternates needed to be announced before the LPs, so nobody else was brought in to the ice.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I mean, it makes sense for the most part. Mark's been consistent (for a Russian man), Kamila's been consistent, M/G have been consistent. I would swap out S/K for S/B for the free dance because of Nikita's back. They might take a hit and lose the dance to the US, but it's such a small points swing that it won't matter.

pearly

Record Breaker
the reasons to do that is to make sure of the gold medal. Canada more or less did that in 2018... they only swapped Gabby for the LP and did not use their second alternate to make sure V/M or D/R would score as highly as possible, in case men or women didn't... In the end, Patrick won the LP... and the gold was a done deal but they alternates needed to be announced before the LPs, so nobody else was brought in to the ice.
I meant, I’m not sure why Twitter seems to think that because I haven’t seen any official announcements.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Ahem...sorry for being a bit of a whiner, but does Twitter think at all? Or do many posters on twitter think? Or does a certain person/organisation with an account on twitter think, and the followers or others who have an account and have seen that post agree?

pearly

Record Breaker
Ahem...sorry for being a bit of a whiner, but does Twitter think at all? Or do many posters on twitter think? Or does a certain person/organisation with an account on twitter think, and the followers or others who have an account and have seen that post agree?
Let me rephrase: I've come across a piece of information on Twitter that Russia has announced its plans for the team event. Has anyone found a confirmation of that piece of news?

Andrea82

Medalist
The timetable for entry submissions is

February 1, 2022 - 10:00 Final confirmation of Skaters/Couples participating (Team Leaders Meeting Team Event) in the Team Event. The confirmation includes all Skaters/Couples available for participation in the Team Event.

With respect to the “exchange possibility” within a Team the following dates and deadlines apply to confirm the names of Skaters/Couples (possibility of exchanges) who will skate for the Team in the segment in question.

February 3, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating SP, Ice Dance RD and Pair Skating SP Team Event.

February 5, 2022 - 10:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Women Single Skating SP Team Event.

For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event, the NOCs/ISU Members must declare the Men competing for Men FS Team Event immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the Women SP Team Event.

February 6, 2022 - 11:00 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Men Single Skating FS Team Event

February 6, 2022 – 13:45 Nomination by name of the Skaters participating in the Pair Skating FS, Ice Dance FD and Women Single Skating FS Team Event

Skaters/Couples, who suffer an injury or sickness after the deadlines mentioned above (replacement deadline and the deadline for entering the name for a segment), cannot be replaced or exchanged and their place, needs to remain empty.

pearly

Record Breaker
I mean, it makes sense for the most part. Mark's been consistent (for a Russian man), Kamila's been consistent, M/G have been consistent. I would swap out S/K for S/B for the free dance because of Nikita's back. They might take a hit and lose the dance to the US, but it's such a small points swing that it won't matter.
Right, that is mostly why it really makes no sense not to swap anyone out. I think they could definitely "risk" swapping out another event as well.

princecharming

Rinkside
Right, that is mostly why it really makes no sense not to swap anyone out. I think they could definitely "risk" swapping out another event as well.
I am shocked they are not swapping out the women either. Or is that to keep it fair?

Same for pairs.

I guess we will see in time.

pearly

Record Breaker
I am shocked they are not swapping out the women either. Or is that to keep it fair?

Same for pairs.

I guess we will see in time.
Mind you, it might not be true. It's just what I saw on Twitter, but no link or anything and I'm sure the Russian press would have covered it by now had it been announced or even discussed publicly.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@gsk8:

I wonder whether this thread is the place to talk about current overall team standings, because fans are going off on tangents in individual discipline threads, e.g., referring to the pairs sp event in the RD dance event thread. Or discussing other events and overall chances of certain countries in the individual discipline threads, which gets confusing. There should be a separate designated thread to discuss overall current result standings and outcome predictions going forward.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@gsk8:

I wonder whether this thread is the place to talk about current overall team standings, because fans are going off on tangents in individual discipline threads, e.g., referring to the pairs sp event in the RD dance event thread. Or discussing other events and overall chances of certain countries in the individual discipline threads, which gets confusing. There should be a separate designated thread to discuss overall current result standings and outcome predictions going forward.
or the respective Cheering threads.