2022 Junior World Championships: Women's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2022 Junior World Championships: Women's Free Skate

mrrice

Record Breaker
Acording to what I just read, Isabeau lives in New Jersey. At her age, I wonder if her parents would let her train outside the US. Her Mom, Tatiana had big jumps and lots of speed. I don't know much about their relationship but, maybe Tatiana has some connections that could fly in and help her with her jumps and speed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Acording to what I just read, Isabeau lives in New Jersey. At her age, I wonder if her parents would let her train outside the US. Her Mom, Tatiana had big jumps and lots of speed. I don't know much about their relationship but, maybe Tatiana has some connections that could fly in and help her with her jumps and speed.
Her mom is not Tatiana... you are confusing her with Ilia.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Raf ever done well with a woman skater? He seems more like a guys' kind of coach, and not very "present" when it comes to the women. The skaters I'm thinking of are Wagner and Bell, but he's also had women from other countries who came and went? He seems to kind of abandon his women skaters.
Michelle Kwan. Or she did well with him. He also coached Mao Asada the (first) year she won Worlds (2008, as I recall).

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Isabeau and Lindsay should do the GP next season.
Being JW medalists should help them get GP invitations.
Isabeau is in the top 24 on the Season's Best list, so that guarantees her one GP invitation.

USFS should consider both for host picks.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt very much that Isabeau's mom would want Isabeau training in Canada. That would be a huge adjustment for both of them. I could see her going to Raf, although moving to California would be a huge adjustment, too.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Has Raf ever done well with a woman skater? He seems more like a guys' kind of coach, and not very "present" when it comes to the women. The skaters I'm thinking of are Wagner and Bell, but he's also had women from other countries who came and went? He seems to kind of abandon his women skaters.
He is listed as Ilia Malinin’s coach with Ilia’s parents so I think Raf will focus there exclusively.. he did not seem to be very hands on with Ashley and Mariah, the latter depending on Adam Rippon a lot for support

Reactions: Myr

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
You're right. :palmf:
Isabeau has relatives ? Grandparents in Italy… she remarked she was looking forward to the next Olympics in Italy in an interview🙃so perhaps there are coaching possibilities there? I know nothing about coaches in Europe except Lambiel

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isabeau has relatives ? Grandparents in Italy… she remarked she was looking forward to the next Olympics in Italy in an interview🙃so perhaps there are coaching possibilities there? I know nothing about coaches in Europe except Lambiel
Lambiel would be good. I think her current coach is good. I think summer camp would be her best bet. She's only 15, she won't want to move away full time. Maybe the Skating Club of Boston this summer?

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lambiel would be good. I think her current coach is good. I think summer camp would be her best bet. She's only 15, she won't want to move away full time. Maybe the Skating Club of Boston this summer?
SCOB would be wonderful..🥰
She could also summer in Europe and return to her current coach for the upcoming season… lots of possibilities

DLong

Rinkside
Congratulations to the medalist!! What a great competition! :cheer2:I'm so happy that Isabeau won as she is one of my very favorites!! :love: I'm also thrilled that Lindsay is on the podium as she is also a favorite! :love2: All of the medalist did such a great job, and really made the last competition of the season special! I'm looking forward to Isabeau and Lindsay in seniors next year since Alysa is retiring. Hopefully, Bradie will be back completely healed next season too. :pray:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
A bit disappointed for Jia, I feel like she deserved the gold with all her qualities.... I know there are many little things in factor but the level 3 Stsq on both SP and FS seems to be what dragged her down.

Which makes me feel a bit better actually (as in, I feel like I can better justify the podium to myself 😅)

At least she did win the FS. And wow look at all her jumps GOE. With her textbook technique, I hope she can (and will) learn Ultra Cs 🙏🏼

Great to have your company last night folks.

And let's not forget Anna P 🗡️: 11 😉
It was so awesome seeing her huge 3Lz-3T as the first jump of the free segment!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'll be honest and say I wanted Jia to win, but the SP lead is what mattered here and I can't fight with the math there. Nonetheless I am very proud of my three girls
I am very proud of all top six ladies and the comp they gave us . I really dont care about the order here. I swear there is something is the water in Korea that makes great skaters.....great way to end the season.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Canadians may know, maybe also somebody else, what I talk about when I think about the green feature screaming "mommy, its over"".

The Easter time was very beautiful and sunny here and as a outdoor liking person my instep injury did not feel so bad when I could watch these juniors. I don't usually watch much junior GPs, but next season - I am ready also for it. Many promising skaters from many countries. I forgive the girls not all of them introducing their best, the season is not often this long.

auser

Record Breaker
Canadians may know, maybe also somebody else, what I talk about when I think about the green feature screaming "mommy, its over"".

The Easter time was very beautiful and sunny here and as a outdoor liking person my instep injury did not feel so bad when I could watch these juniors. I don't usually watch much junior GPs, but next season - I am ready also for it. Many promising skaters from many countries. I forgive the girls not all of them introducing their best, the season is not often this long.
Glad your foot is feeling better and you enjoyed watching Jr Worlds. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He is listed as Ilia Malinin’s coach with Ilia’s parents so I think Raf will focus there exclusively.. he did not seem to be very hands on with Ashley and Mariah, the latter depending on Adam Rippon a lot for support

If I'm remembering correctly from prior interviews, Raf just works with Ilia a bit over the summer. Ilia is still in school. They're not a wealthy family, and one of the upsides of him staying in Virginia is that he isn't having to pay for coaching - plus Ilia's results and the trajectory indicate no need to fix what ain't broke. The family includes a daughter younger than Ilia (apparently talented for her age) whom they also coach, plus their business is coaching in NoVa, so the family can't just uproot and move.

I think (although I definitely do not know this for a fact) that finances aren't quite such an issue with Levito's family.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
If I'm remembering correctly from prior interviews, Raf just works with Ilia a bit over the summer. Ilia is still in school. They're not a wealthy family, and one of the upsides of him staying in Virginia is that he isn't having to pay for coaching - plus Ilia's results and the trajectory indicate no need to fix what ain't broke. The family includes a daughter younger than Ilia (apparently talented for her age) whom they also coach, plus their business is coaching in NoVa, so the family can't just uproot and move.

I think (although I definitely do not know this for a fact) that finances aren't quite such an issue with Levito's family.
Thanks for your thoughts. Raf really seems to have stepped up to the plate on Ilia’s behalf; he was in the K & C with Ilia’s Dad after Ilia’s skate and Ted commented he thought all three were conversing animatedly in Russian.. so Raf seems to be a more evident presence on the scene. Will be interesting going forward.
Since this is the Junior Women’s thread i wonder if/when we will see his younger sister but I can wait for that if it ever happens.. give her a chance to grow and acquire skills.
So many here on GS have expressed the wish for different coaching for Isabeau citing questionable technique.. I personally do not see the need but I speak from a lay person’s perspective and added my two cents to possible changes for her in other threads as alternatives to other suggestions ( Raf, Orser, et Al) Jeanne 19 suggested SCOB might be a good fit for her and closer to home and I mentioned Isabeau I thought had relatives in Italy and could consider summering there working with a European coach, Lambiel perhaps, but this is truly wild speculation. Will be interesting to follow this too!
I happen to adore Lindsay Thorngren skating and will follow that trajectory with great interest going forward.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since this is the Junior Women’s thread i wonder if/when we will see his younger sister but I can wait for that if it ever happens.. give her a chance to grow and acquire skills.
Recalling more from the interview I saw... Ilia said his sister was more talented than he was at her age. I don't know how old his sister is, and perhaps this statement is more representative of brotherly pride than anything else. I've never seen footage of his sister. In fact, I don't even know her name.