2021-22 Coaching Changes & Country/Category Switches | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Coaching Changes & Country/Category Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I still think Charlie and Co. are a work in progress as choreographers and coaches. Scott Moir, Lambiel, Abbott, Buttle, et al were great skaters but coaching - transferring/teaching skill, artistry and inspiring/motivating and get the best out of their students takes talent, effort and maybe some education. Being a great skater does not mean great coach necessarily. Buttle, Bourne, Krylova, Dubreil and Lauzon, Orser, Ravi Walia, to a point Tracey Wainman, The Ponamarenko's ??? (I am having a brain freeze - 1992 dance champs), Tarasova, Mishkin,ae some examples of success. I do like that not everyone is going to IAM. As much as there are complaints about team Tuber. one could say the same as IAM - do we want to have so much power with one school. one day IAM will come to pass and they will b like Shipland or Zueva. Coaches are kind of like fashion I guess. Not everyone has the longeivity of a Frank Carroll or Carlo fassi.
I believe that IAM's success is born from the empowerment the skaters gain from the coaching methods: they are given the tools to make their own success, guided and groomed by the whole school. This is the type of coaching environment that will give longevity to IAM.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe that IAM's success is born from the empowerment the skaters gain from the coaching methods: they are given the tools to make their own success, guided and groomed by the whole school. This is the type of coaching environment that will give longevity to IAM.

Charlie has talked about the same approach with his academy (although not directly referencing IAM). He has said that his goal is to encourage growth as a person first, and as a dancer second. I am very impressed by the approach of both schools.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I totally agree with this. IAM is very different to training camps of the past ala Zueva etc because they seem to take a holistic approach to coaching and as you said they empower their teams. It seems like a very collaborative evolved way of coaching which I hope is replicated in these new schools that are popping up. I don’t think IAM’s influence will wane that much just because of all the different teams and coaches they have in the school. My hope is that if places like Charlie & co in Detroit and Zhuk/Svnin/Morozov in Russia adopt a similar approach then we will have a great array of competition between teams and not one school/style will completely dominate (at least in ice dance anyway).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think Charlie and Co. are a work in progress as choreographers and coaches. Scott Moir, Lambiel, Abbott, Buttle, et al were great skaters but coaching - transferring/teaching skill, artistry and inspiring/motivating and get the best out of their students takes talent, effort and maybe some education. Being a great skater does not mean great coach necessarily. Buttle, Bourne, Krylova, Dubreil and Lauzon, Orser, Ravi Walia, to a point Tracey Wainman, The Ponamarenko's ??? (I am having a brain freeze - 1992 dance champs), Tarasova, Mishkin,ae some examples of success. I do like that not everyone is going to IAM. As much as there are complaints about team Tuber. one could say the same as IAM - do we want to have so much power with one school. one day IAM will come to pass and they will b like Shipland or Zueva. Coaches are kind of like fashion I guess. Not everyone has the longeivity of a Frank Carroll or Carlo fassi.
I’m very tired of everyone being at IAM. Especially since I think my babies are 99th out of 99 (or however many teams they have) in the pecking order. But I don’t pay for any of these teams training so I have no say. I automatically add GOE in my mind to non IAM teams though!

peepsquick

Final Flight
I’m very tired of everyone being at IAM. Especially since I think my babies are 99th out of 99 (or however many teams they have) in the pecking order. But I don’t pay for any of these teams training so I have no say. I automatically add GOE in my mind to non IAM teams though!
I do not think they have a pecking order: they are not miracle workers and I think teams need to mature. I don't know who you "babies" are ... can you share?

peepsquick

Final Flight
Hawayek and Baker.
Yes, I love these two as well but I do not think they were neglected ... they are actually one of these teams working on their own choreographies ( I was a fan of their Philipp Glass piece!). They have been a bit unlucky with injuries, had some mishaps over the years. I really think they have been lowballed by the judges this year, especially on their FD which was something else!. Jean-Luc is an amazing performer and skater and both have a beautiful glide. I am also very fond of their goofiness (not sure if it's a word :)). Love their latest show piece in smoking ... really stylish!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There isn't a "pecking order". All of the teams don't have the same combo of coaches/choreographers at IAM. For instance, H/D worked with M-F Dubreuil and P. Lauzon, as well as Moir, Chouinard, etc. and H/B still got their time with Dubreuil and Lauzon but mostly worked with Haguenauer and Pascal Denis. Now that H/D have left IAM as students, I would love to see H/B work more with Dubreuil/Lauzon and Moir.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think that too. I also have seen them skate live just at their beginnings with IAM. They have improved A LOT in their years there.
I have as well. Their skating has improved, but their scores have not. In fact the first season, when they were saddled with that horrible free dance, they actually went down. The year before that season they had won a GP gold medal and made the GP final. That season they won no GP medals.

Their rhythm dance is their weakness and it is the weakness of IAM (I am told by those more knowledgeable than me).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think H and B are just the "victims"of the ice dance world and are waiting their turn. I don't feel they were neglected by their coaches...just behind H and D and C and B.
Which implies the pecking order people say does not exist. 😀

noskates

Record Breaker
Yes,, I truly believe there is a pecking order in ice dance. I don't think it's as set in concrete as it has been in the past but H and B are, in my mind, clearly hampered by it. I expect their scores will go up commensurate with a few teams retiring.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have as well. Their skating has improved, but their scores have not. In fact the first season, when they were saddled with that horrible free dance, they actually went down. The year before that season they had won a GP gold medal and made the GP final. That season they won no GP medals.

Their rhythm dance is their weakness and it is the weakness of IAM (I am told by those more knowledgeable than me).
how can the rhythm dance be the weakness of IAM when IAM still keep winning top spots?
and honestly, if they have improved, and we both agree on this, if their scores are lower, it's not IAM's fault. It's the "wait your turn" mentality typical in ice dance. I will not continue this topic, not to derail this thread. If you wish to start a thread discussing scores some teams should be getting and are not getting, I am sure many people will contribute.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
how can the rhythm dance be the weakness of IAM when IAM still keep winning top spots?
and honestly, if they have improved, and we both agree on this, if their scores are lower, it's not IAM's fault. It's the "wait your turn" mentality typical in ice dance. I will not continue this topic, not to derail this thread. If you wish to start a thread discussing scores some teams should be getting and are not getting, I am sure many people will contribute.
Agree. RD is definitely not the weakness of IAM.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Sofia Samodelkina - from Sergei Davydov to Svetlana Sokolovskaya

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Sofia Samodelkina - from Sergei Davydov to Svetlana Sokolovskaya
Edit: TASS reports that the question of changing coach is still unclear.
But Averbukh has already commented on this transfer and he was there yesterday, so I think he knows if Sofa changed coach.

Personally I'm very interested to see the result of this collaboration. And I'd love to see Sofa skating a program by Nikita Mikhailov.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Solans Mazingue and Marko Gaidajenko the young Estonian ice dance team have moved to train in Montreal at IAM. I’m pleased for them as they were really good at worlds, so it will be great to see them develop under some elite level coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.