2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker11

On the Ice
After watching it again Kamila is a long way ahead of anyone in terms of presentation and artistry. She probably wins the short program with the double axel.

I’m a big fan of Akateva but you can’t compare presentation to Kamila.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who managed to figure out Kamila's hidden massage?
I saw a video news site on YouTube that claims it was Morse Code and it was deciphered to be:
FAITH

Well, I certainly didn’t have Morse Code on my list of topics to be discussed today, but Russian Ladies figure skating is full of surprises after all.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Russian ladies are in their own league, it's only the start of the season and test skates are better that anything we could watch until now, ladies all the way

Interesting tidbit - Russian Test Skates on Youtube already have over 65,000 views and it just got finished streaming 2 hours ago; CS Lombardia on Youtube that streamed a week ago has 56,000 views.

uwoawuwoa

On the Ice
Personally Adelia's outfit, performance, and program was my favorite of the SP today. I watched it with a few friends who are casual viewers (honestly they don't care for skating) and they actually paid attention to her entire performance. Nice, soft landings, and fluid throughout. I enjoyed Kami's interstellar. Very beautiful with the most gorgeous extensions.

I was shocked I almost didn't recognize Sofia S.

I was so confused for a good minute about who the pretty girl in the ponytail was until they announced her as Sofia S and I see that after checking out the threads here I was not the only one. Her performance was nice, but not yet completely sold. I think her program will grow on me soon.

Sofia A is still smooth as silk but I was a little disappointed that there was no new SP for her here. I like the SP but watching the same program year after year honestly isn't very exciting. Nonetheless she still performed incredibly well (despite touching the ice on her unpredictable triple axel landings). Otherwise light as a feather.

I like that Sasha is trying something new and didn't crash on a triple axel attempt. She was going clean and was almost completely clean with smooth landings until the combo step out. If she takes a bit more time with executing some of the movements I can see this program doing well for her. I can't wait to see her free program with more movements and experimentation like this one. Very proud of Sasha!

Also one small rant: that new touching the ice after an illusion to increase difficulty while exiting the spin is getting VERY annoying.
It looked like Sofia S almost fell out of it and she already has gorgeous spins prior.
Who's idea was this and why? It is interrupting the flow of some (not all) of the best spinners and causing slight errors where there otherwise would be none. The touch the ice illusion spin exit variation has to go in my opinion.

I don't know how I feel about Liza's program. I don't know. I think due to the song choice I wanted more performance out of her and more accents/faster or bigger fluid movements that matched the music/tempo. I was a little underwhelmed. Overall I just don't know yet so I will see once she performs it again. I expected a little more in terms of performance with this music choice.

I am looking forward to the free and seeing all the new programs. Hopefully Sofia S has a new free program as I did not fall in love with last season's free. I don't want an encore of that one, but still enjoy her skating. Something new for her please. She is so gifted and highly skilled. Holding my breath for a clean skate for everyone tomorrow. Good luck!

esteticlove

Final Flight
I saw a video news site on YouTube that claims it was Morse Code and it was deciphered to be:
FAITH

Well, I certainly didn’t have Morse Code on my list of topics to be discussed today, but Russian Ladies figure skating is full of surprises after all.
Yeah, I know it was the morse code. I rewatched it a couple of times and initially thought she was showing --..-..- which made no sense, since I was getting the letters Z / G :laugh: Apparently, I missed the first dot :laugh:

Azikin

Medalist
Personally Adelia's outfit, performance, and program was my favorite of the SP today. I watched it with a few friends who are casual viewers (honestly they don't care for skating) and they actually paid attention to her entire performance. Nice, soft landings, and fluid throughout.
Yes! That program is perfect for her, she was totally lovely yesterday! 🥰

Lurker11

On the Ice
Interesting tidbit - Russian Test Skates on Youtube already have over 65,000 views and it just got finished streaming 2 hours ago; CS Lombardia on Youtube that streamed a week ago has 56,000 views.
Everyone has been saying for years they'd like to watch skating without Russians for one reason or another.

They finally get their wish, but Russian test skates is all they want to talk about. What are they going to be like when the season actually starts?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching the ladies free skates and I found them fascinating to watch. What I noticed is that five of them, basically went after two ultra-c jumps, failed with one of them and either landed the other one successfully or almost successfully. Valieva was the only one that went after a clean skate with only triples. I see most of them scoring 140-160 internationally, with all them bunched close together. This will make their events super interesting.

1) Valieva - Was the one that was most connected to her music. Yes, it is controversial. But, she really poured her heart out. This is what figure skating is all about. But, with no ultra c elements, I can see this only scoring slightly higher than 80 from a technical standpoint. Her PCS would be the highest.
2) Akatieva - Her 3A was huge. But, she fell on her 4T. A good performer. She is the strongest Junior out there, at this moment.
3) Adeliya - Her 4T was huge and landed so comfortably. But, her 4Lo was just like Akatieva, with a fall. I find her triple jumps to be smaller than most and she landed rough in about two of them. But, the 4T seemed stable
4) Sofia Samodelkina - She fell in what i think was a 4S. But, she has added a loop combo, which to me, is an ultra-c element as it helped Anna S basically win a lot of Nationals and the Olympics due to this under rated combo. She is a dark horse.
5) Sofia Muravieva - My fave. She popped a 3A and almost landed her second 3A. Her triples are solid and she does the most to sell the program. I hope it grows on me.
6) Elizaveta T - Almost landed her first 3A, but, then fell on her second 3A. This is the most I connected with her free skate. I loved it. The only thing that worries me, is she only went after one combo, the other combo she most likely will do is one into a double axel on one of her jumps. I have a feeling she has no triple triple, which will hurt her against all these talented skaters from Russia.

Overall, whomever is able to land two ultra c elements is who I think will end up on top. Very little separates #1 from #6. I’m intrigued to find out who comes on top, domestically.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please do not discuss Kamila Valieva’s new FS in this thread (unless it's technical-related). A new one has been created in the Speakeasy due to obvious reasons. Thanks!

uwoawuwoa

On the Ice
I just finished watching the ladies free skates and I found them fascinating to watch. What I noticed is that five of them, basically went after two ultra-c jumps, failed with one of them and either landed the other one successfully or almost successfully. Valieva was the only one that went after a clean skate with only triples. I see most of them scoring 140-160 internationally, with all them bunched close together. This will make their events super interesting.

1) Valieva - Was the one that was most connected to her music. Yes, it is controversial. But, she really poured her heart out. This is what figure skating is all about. But, with no ultra c elements, I can see this only scoring slightly higher than 80 from a technical standpoint. Her PCS would be the highest.
2) Akatieva - Her 3A was huge. But, she fell on her 4T. A good performer. She is the strongest Junior out there, at this moment.
3) Adeliya - Her 4T was huge and landed so comfortably. But, her 4Lo was just like Akatieva, with a fall. I find her triple jumps to be smaller than most and she landed rough in about two of them. But, the 4T seemed stable
4) Sofia Samodelkina - She fell in what i think was a 4S. But, she has added a loop combo, which to me, is an ultra-c element as it helped Anna S basically win a lot of Nationals and the Olympics due to this under rated combo. She is a dark horse.
5) Sofia Muravieva - My fave. She popped a 3A and almost landed her second 3A. Her triples are solid and she does the most to sell the program. I hope it grows on me.
6) Elizaveta T - Almost landed her first 3A, but, then fell on her second 3A. This is the most I connected with her free skate. I loved it. The only thing that worries me, is she only went after one combo, the other combo she most likely will do is one into a double axel on one of her jumps. I have a feeling she has no triple triple, which will hurt her against all these talented skaters from Russia.

Overall, whomever is able to land two ultra c elements is who I think will end up on top. Very little separates #1 from #6. I’m intrigued to find out who comes on top, domestically.

I agree I enjoyed Elizaveta's free and felt more connection there than the short yesterday. Even with the mistakes I was still able to enjoy her skate. I really like this program for her. She is struggling with illness right now so I didn't expect super clean jumps but I appreciated what she was able to give.

I thought Adelia almost had the quad loop down after nailing it at Senior RUSNATS and landing it clean earlier today in the warm-up but I guess it is not stable for her yet. I am also happy she has her 4T back. I am not super in love with the free program and prefer her current short as well as last season's free but I do like it and it can work as the season progresses.

Wow, Akatieva's 3A was the most comfortable I've seen her land it in a while! Usually her landings scare me a bit (especially at the warm-up with that very bad fall onto her face), but that was a great landing for her here. I wish her more smooth 3A landings. Beautiful!

Yes, it seems most of the olympic champs from Russia had the 3lz+3loop combo down. It may be Sofia S's secret weapon to getting gold unless everyone else also adapts and gets a 3lz+3loop (right now it's only Anna and Sasha with 3lz-3loop combo actively expected to skate in the Russian GPs). The competition will be closer than ever this season which hasn't happened in a while.

I don't think anyone is going to push 3-4+ ultra-c jumps in the free this season as recoveries are still happening with most of the girls capable of pushing 3 or more ultra-c in the free alone (Kami, Sasha, Sofia S, and Anna---maybe Adelia but her 4F, and 3A are not stable and have not landed successfully in comp). I do agree that it might just be up to the most clean and difficult 2 ultra-c's landed in the free and whoever has the upper hand in the short. Right now for the short Sofia S and Liza are looking the most stable in terms of having the edge or boost with their clean 3A. They may have the lead in the short program in tech---as for PCS that is up in the air. This season will be exciting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.