2022 Skate America Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Free Dance

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Okay, so, here's the thing: I used to be a big Phantom fan. I have seen the stage show more times than I care to admit and have been genuinely contemplating seeing the show again before it closes on Broadway next year. It's cheesy and bombastic but it's also a great time at the theater.

And yet, even at my absolute nerdiest... I've never gotten the hype about Music of the Night. It is probably my least favorite song to just listen to, even if it's sometimes good on stage. In skating it's even worse, the energy just drops every time. So I fully went "oh no" when that music cut happened... and then laughed out loud, because just suddenly cutting from the original song to "IT'S OVERRR NOW THE MUSIC OF THE NIIIIIGHT" is thematically hilarious, especially if you then cut BACK to the original song coda! In context, that is the Act 1 closer drama queen Phantom having a murder tantrum! You can't then go back to early Act 1 "sing you to sleep" vibes, it doesn't work! If you know the show that music cut is just incredibad, and it boggles my mind they went with that because this is not exactly an obscure show.

Sorry, haha, it's objectively not as bad as Zagitova's cut but it's just such a missed opportunity, honestly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... MLS half-time... convenient for the final skaters... and well my team is LOSING despite playing better... i hate when that happens... just not scoring while the other team got lucky... i won't make parallels with how i feel sometimes in figure skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Australian couple are joyful, am I wrong or is he the stronger partner?

But the music, I don't like. Isn't this Labrinth the same group or whatever that does Ilia's music. Don't like his either. Tinny and off-putting.

I'll go chase the kids off my lawn now....;)

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
pink-panther-walking.gif

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Okay, I made it. Doesn’t look like I missed Chock/Bates either.