Roman Kostomarov recovering after hospitalization | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Roman Kostomarov recovering after hospitalization

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
English language/translation update- there is still serious concern over the condition of his hands-

I was stunned when I heard this yesterday. I remember him being so strong and powerful. To lose both feet and maybe his hands. You just wonder how could this happen and why? I hope he recovers strongly and pray for strength and peace and no pain. Take away his pain. This is so devastating.

JimR

On the Ice
It's like some kind of horror. In one way he'd almost be better off dying, but then there are so many people with similarly devastating disabilities who can achieve goals, appreciate life. There are so many inspiring paralympians in even worse circumstances. No fingers, no feet is horrific, but you would take it over losing your sight for instance. Still, to go from a strong healthy man to this is a horror story.

Of course, going forward he'll need much money and the support of family to get him through this for the rest of his life. Hopefully he has this.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Of course, going forward he'll need much money and the support of family to get him through this for the rest of his life. Hopefully he has this.

It is said that Tatiana Navka has helped him to get the best doctors, that Tatiana Tarasova is ready to organize financial help for him. It seems he gets support. The main thing he needs is getting as healthy as it is possible.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Averbukh says that the planned Ice Age tour is going to become a tour in support of Roman. It is openly said that they are going to give Roman not all the money, but a part of money. Maybe they understand, that they can’t give all the money (it is not about one show, it is about many shows). Maybe it would look better, if Averbukh openly said what part is going to be given to Roman (how much per cent)…

I understand why people can dislike this declaration. Well, I think it is Roman who has a right to judge whether Averbukh chose a decent way to help or not.

I hope for the best. I hope Roman can have some positive feelings about this decision, because anyway he needs some positive feelings. And I hope this tour can become a serious financial support for Roman indeed.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
It's like some kind of horror. In one way he'd almost be better off dying, but then there are so many people with similarly devastating disabilities who can achieve goals, appreciate life. There are so many inspiring paralympians in even worse circumstances. No fingers, no feet is horrific, but you would take it over losing your sight for instance. Still, to go from a strong healthy man to this is a horror story.

Sight or appendages either is a pretty awful outlook for anyone to cope with, especially someone who has a physical job like he does. He has potentially lost his ability to support his family and is facing a long road in figuring out a new normal. And some of the reports, though there is conflicting information about his health in general, it doesn't sound like he's out of the danger zone for further life-altering surgeries in hope of saving his life.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I think Roman’s strength was not only in his body, I think he is also strong in spirit (though of course, this situation is a hard lot even for a person who is strong in spirit). I think he can find some opportunities to support his family, when he gets better.

I remember I was impressed by this photo, when I had seen it for the first time

The names of his kids are Anastasia and Ilia.
His mother’s name is Valentina (Kostomarova).
When I think about Roman, I notice that I want these days to go faster for him, so that he already could feel better.

Last edited:

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I think Roman’s strength was not only in his body, I think he is also strong in spirit (though of course, this situation is a hard lot even for a person who is strong in spirit). I think he can find some opportunities to support his family, when he gets better.

I remember I was impressed by this photo, when I had seen it for the first time

The names of his kids are Anastasia and Ilia.
His mother’s name is Valentina (Kostomarova). I remember reading that Roman doesn’t want her to visit him in the hospital now.
When I think about Roman, I notice that I want these days to go faster for him, so that he already could feel better.
Me too, I keep hoping for better news and that Roman and his family can start his recovery.

ntnext

Rinkside

Amei

Record Breaker
Are there medical privacy laws in Russia? We keep seeing these horrifying sounding updates always from unnamed sources, while his family has only said pretty vague updates or statements denying the previously reported information from unnamed sources.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Doctors are supposed to keep secrets (the conception of “medical secrecy” is about doctors as far as I know), but as for journalists… maybe it is only possible to accuse them for defamation in this case (or something like that). Maybe those "journalists" are used to see that Russians go to court with such lawsuits not often.
I think it is better not to participate in reposting of their “articles”.
Those “journalists” are not shy to disturb even Roman’s mother (in her age and in this situation).

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
I do not know about privacy laws in Russia and how much medical information is allowed to be released to the media. I know people are interested in what condition he is in right now. What should happen is that the doctors should give an update on his condition to the Russian Figure Skating Association, I know that he is not currently competing but he is a former Olympic gold medalist so they best people to give the information to and the let them them release the updates and please leave the family alone at what must be the worst time of their lives.
I hope that he can live though this. If he has been intensive care this long the odds are not good. I hope I am wrong because even if he can never skate again he would make a good coach or even a comentatior for ice skating so he can be connected to sport he loves.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Concerning the situation about how much information gets out to the public etc., I think this case is comparable to the one of Michael Schumacher, german ex-Fomula 1 champion, record setter,...
He was retired from driving, but still a very public figure in his country and the (motor)sports community when he had this accident.

From the start, the family was very much behind on what would be released and when. Not a lot of people got access to him even now during his (ongoing?) rehab. And those who can visit him, don't share anything with the public.

At first, this was really "annoying" for fans around the world but I really hope that it will be possible to keep details from the public here as well if the family wants it.