2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Imagine the PCS if he had RUS next to his name. Just up from Juniors is no excuse for that low of a PCS score the judges saw him last year at Worlds and he's had a great season so far and how many times did we see the Russian girls get ridiculous PCS by the time of Worlds in their 1st season in Seniors?
Well then there would be no argument about PCS as I suppose we would currently not be seeing much of him at all if that was the case...

I think the PCS was more or less fair. He does have a long way still to go performance wise to get to the level of Shoma, Kevin and not to mention Jason.

Kris135

On the Ice
Ok peeps I have to go now. I have to get some sleep to go to work. See you at women free tonight.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Daniel has some of the most unappealing skating, but he works hard. I think that is part of the problem, he has to work so hard, not flow with the music. I feel kind of bad making this statement.
Agreed, but I do like him. He’s actually my favorite Italian skater. He’s very awkward and lanky and he hasn’t figured out how to use his body yet. It’s unfortunate but he makes already bad choreography look ten times worse than it already is (i.e, his White Crow program) and decent choreography doesn’t look good with him doing it, either. His SP this season is an example. He’s clearly trying, though, and like you said, that’s part of the problem. I don’t who or what can help him with fluidity, though. Dance classes? Ballet training?

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Some stellar skates by Junhwan, Keegan, Jason and Shoma, Kevin also kept it together, but I'm sad Matteo and especially Adam messed up.
I'm so glad Jason is in the last group now, seeing him in the third to last group was weird. Keegan flying into that first combo was amazing.

I can't fathom how Eteri dares to show her face here, but at least she gets properly rewarded by her skaters being kind of bad. :devilish:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about Ilia score. He should had much higher scores than he got. He should be in the lead. Uno had a mistake and his content was lower as well. The scores that Uno was given were a bit too generous, but being that he is the world champion and that it is Japan that may skewed the marks a bit. But basically I am happy with the results..
Skate Canada really needs to sit down with Keegan after the season because he is starting to get the scores that can lead to world and Olympic medals this is someone you want to keep around for a long as you can..Ask Keegan what it would take to for him not to retire after this season because they need him more than they know. Conrad did not even qualify for the free skate and that who Canada is planning to bank their hopes on. Really? Skate Canada he basically blew up in the long. Four Continents he was decent. Now he blew up in the short at worlds. Canada should figure out a way to do better! Keegan is a international treasure that I want keep active in the sport to the 2026 Winter Olympics let him retire after being one biggest stage possible as his send off.
Keegan has a family now and he's not getting any younger. Sure he's skating well over the last month or so but i bet part of why he's skating lights out is he can see the end coming and feels at peace. I don't see him keeping up with the youngers guy for 3 more years and i doubt he would suddenly start being consistent if he did stay in .

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Hi guys, sorry the thread is long and I haven't caught up to everything, I hope I'm not doubling with something discussed earlier!

I'm super sad for Adam Siao Him Fa, my favorite. I noticed during his first jump, the 4T without the combination (😭), that there is a weird knocking sound when he joins his feet in the air, and upon landing his right lace come out. The lace kept flopping around during the whole program, I was scared he would have a skate issue before completing the choreo!
I'm not knowledgeable enough, do you think something went wrong during this jump and his boot failed him, hence all the technical mistakes?

JimR

On the Ice
Imagine the PCS if he had RUS next to his name. Just up from Juniors is no excuse for that low of a PCS score the judges saw him last year at Worlds and he's had a great season so far and how many times did we see the Russian girls get ridiculous PCS by the time of Worlds in their 1st season in Seniors?

Kamila got high PCS but it's the most brilliant skater of all time, the most perfect Biellmann, ballet hands, incredible flexibility, plasticity, musicality, full extension on every jump. I don't know how she could get less than 10 on any component last season quite frankly. Once in a lifetime.

I'll agree that Shcherbakova slightly overscored for PCS, but only slightly. None of it ever made a difference to the order of final results though.

But back to Ilia, he was killed by the judges. Even at Junior Worlds for girls I thought judging was biased towards a particular region of the world. Just my belief. The technical panel fell asleep for those final 6 at Junior Worlds after being ridiculously strict with some skaters all night long.

There is definitely a bias or unconscious one (in my mind only I could be biased too).

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I am impressed with Ilia score . He received 100 despite his low PCS score. He is 6 points lower than Shoma and 4 points lower than JunHwa. I thought they be about two points higher ( around a 42)

I just pick up this one here, but it is adressed to everybody thinking that way.
E.g. Deniss got 42 PCS here, so no. There's just no comparison here. No one would think of putting Ilia and Jason on the same lvl PCS wise. Well sure, give Deniss more. But when they start low, they can't move that up for Ilia.

JimR

On the Ice
I just pick up this one here, but it is adressed to everybody thinking that way.
E.g. Deniss got 42 PCS here, so no. There's just no comparison here. No one would think of putting Ilia and Jason on the same lvl PCS wise. Well sure, give Deniss more. But when they start low, they can't move that up for Ilia.
Deniss was great but had two underrotated jumps and touched the ice on the the 4S if I recall correctly. The combo was a 3-3, so simple content compared to Ilia. 42 is probably correct for Deniss with his errors. Ilia delivered an error free program of high quality.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I joined the broadcast late. Should have gone to Peacock and not NBC. NBC didn't show Kevin. :(

In my opinion, there really isn't anyone who matches Shoma and Jason in their understanding of using the whole body. There is a (looking for a word) about their carriage that is magnificent. There is an energy that extends past their bodies. Their port de bras moves from the back, not the shoulder. It is something I try to teach in my dancers, but it really isn't easy to teach - you kinda have to just get it instinctively. Jun is getting there. (Can Rohene please choreograph something for Shoma?)

Keegan is just absolutely joyous to watch and I am so happy for him.

The last group is going to be AMAZING.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Ilia should be nowhere close in PCS to Jason, Shoma, Deniss, Junhwan, Keegan, Kevin, Lukas or Adam and Matteo when they are clean-ish.
And even his TES: I thought at least two of his landings looked a bit dodgy, he was throwing his free leg about quite a bit.
I especially hate his footwork. I might be an extreme case, but I think many people who aren't hyped by his "quad godlyness" realize that in all non-jump related parts of the program he just isn't top class. Maybe he can get there, but at the moment - no.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Actually I think the one scored a bit too generously among the top men was Cha, however much I like his skating. His jumps are still very telegraphed and nonetheless get 4s and 5s... His skating is soft and fluid, but the program only has certain strong "performance moments"; but overall it is rather messy and callow. It basically lives from Jun imitating Michael Jackson's dancing for a few seconds very well. And then he gets a 10 from one judge...
Orser, who is actually my favourite coach, has received quite good scores for his skaters in Saitama so far... I can't say I'm discontent, but overall I think they were a bit overscored in comparison to others.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kamila got high PCS but it's the most brilliant skater of all time, the most perfect Biellmann, ballet hands, incredible flexibility, plasticity, musicality, full extension on every jump. I don't know how she could get less than 10 on any component last season quite frankly. Once in a lifetime.

I'll agree that Shcherbakova slightly overscored for PCS, but only slightly. None of it ever made a difference to the order of final results though.
I was bored and decided to come here see if there was some interesting posts to read and look what i find:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
You're probably my favourite human here. You got no chill at all :laugh: or as we said in my country "un cabri mort" (a dead goat, meaning that you don't give a f*ck).

yesterday

Record Breaker
Deniss was great but had two underrotated jumps and touched the ice on the the 4S if I recall correctly. The combo was a 3-3, so simple content compared to Ilia. 42 is probably correct for Deniss with his errors. Ilia delivered an error free program of high quality.
I don't think he touched the ice othen than with his blades today. He's had worse skates this season, Ilia too.
When Jason has errors, his PCS stay up. Why should Deniss' go even further down?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
When searching for an appropriate image to post, I discovered that there is a book with the title "Cactus Prince"! :jaw:

cactus-prince_14464_1551683634.png

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/14464/cactus-prince/

I was half expecting it to be one of @lariko's works! ;) :p

CaroLiza_fan
Heh. I was hoping to watch men live, and stayed almost to the start… but then cbc took the pressure off, and I fell asleep. Watching women now 😅

macy

Record Breaker
Ilia should be nowhere close in PCS to Jason, Shoma, Deniss, Junhwan, Keegan, Kevin, Lukas or Adam and Matteo when they are clean-ish.
And even his TES: I thought at least two of his landings looked a bit dodgy, he was throwing his free leg about quite a bit.
I especially hate his footwork. I might be an extreme case, but I think many people who aren't hyped by his "quad godlyness" realize that in all non-jump related parts of the program he just isn't top class. Maybe he can get there, but at the moment - no.
Ilia has not found his stride yet with PCS. it reminds me a lot of the awkwardness Bradie Tennell had about 5 years ago. at this stage it is still forced and unnatural for him. he has a long way to go in that department and his scores should not reflect something that isn't there.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Actually I think the one scored a bit too generously among the top men was Cha, however much I like his skating. His jumps are still very telegraphed and nonetheless get 4s and 5s... His skating is soft and fluid, but the program only has certain strong "performance moments"; but overall it is rather messy and callow. It basically lives from Jun imitating Michael Jackson's dancing for a few seconds very well. And then he gets a 10 from one judge...
Orser, who is actually my favourite coach, has received quite good scores for his skaters in Saitama so far... I can't say I'm discontent, but overall I think they were a bit overscored in comparison to others.
I love Jun, but I don't love this program on him, actually. The first half today I thought he was not performing. He does have good skating skills and he comes alive in the second half of the program, but I don't think this one shows him off like it should.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Ilia has not found his stride yet with PCS. it reminds me a lot of the awkwardness Bradie Tennell had about 5 years ago. at this stage it is still forced and unnatural for him. he has a long way to go in that department and his scores should not reflect something that isn't there.
There are things about Ilia's skating that I like. He brings his personality to the ice, and he does know how to spin, so that's good. I think the edgework and moves in field will come. He reminds me some of a very young Nathan. He'll get there.

On another note, I think we are seeing the Jason (and Shoma) effect in Men's figure skating finally. More men are paying attention to both athleticism and artistry. The final group is all folks who do both (even Ilia).