2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jason shows what pcs can do. Beautiful skating. He does have a bit of a horseshoe up his butt. LOL Somehow he makes it without a quad to the freeskate.'s final group. Kind of like Katarina Witt when she came back. The woman somehow gets into the last group.
Sheesh, gimme a break. :scratch2:

Jason's skating skills are excellent but his presentation and artistry are far beyond any of the other men, which was reflected in his PCS. With or without a quad, he's in a class by himself. He earned his place in the final group -- fair and square!

icybear

Medalist
Wow. Ilia 9th for PCS. That's absurd. Rizzo got 42 for his disaster skate, Ilia 40.89.
Indeed suprising. Considering he had a clean skate and he's American, you would think this would give them a reason to start inflating that pcs. He got less pcs than his 2nd GP event. I guess its because we are in Japan and he is Uno biggest rival for gold.

Demandred

On the Ice
This was a really enjoyable SP, so many excellent performances. Shoma, Jason, Kevin, Kazuki and Keegan were the standouts for me personally. All of them showed great artistry and individual style. Malinin with another very strong skate and is probably the favourite going into the free given the news about Shoma's injury. Cha also did really well, which was nice to see.

readernick

Medalist
If Kao and Shun were French, would we also hear whining about how Adam is weak and shouldn't have been picked? The 'fans' with a crystal ball, who know exactly how Miura would have done, are the 'best', truly.
Yes, this is very true. I'm not Sota's biggest fan skating wise. Great SS and lovely elements when he skates well but empty empty empty programs. But, he absolutely has as much right to be here as anyone else.

Outside of Shoma, there are no safe bets in Japan at the moment. It's full of talented inconsistent men's skaters. They are all wildcards. Kao, Shun ,( who I'm partial to) Kazuki, Sota are all up and down. Any of them are capable of imploding in the high stress environment of home worlds. You would need a crystal ball to predict the results. Sota did fine. It's his first Worlds. It's natural to be nervous. He fought.

And to answer your question, yes, people would say that about Adam if there were actually other equally talented skaters in France who hadn't been chosen. That's just the way the figure skating fandom works. We all think we know better than the federations.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not upset over Ilia's PCS, his performance has improved quite a bit since seeing him at Skate America but he has a long way to go before he's getting 9s all over the place. He's only 18, he has time for his PCS to grow.

And for people who complain that Jason doesn't belong in the final group without a quad, I am reminded of some of the commentators who say that the transitions, skating skills and choreo that Jason does so well would be = to a quad jump.

The only person's scores I think were lowballed was Jun's MJ program. That was the BEST I have seen him ever do that program all season and he deserved 100+. I suppose his inconsistency may have kept him down.

badknees

Medalist
He's getting high GOE for scratchy landings. Waiting for inflated PCS. Yes, I'm bitter.
Yup, yup and yup. Really high GOE for just ok and basic landings. Jason got less GOE for near perfect if not perfect landings. I just dont get it.
What's the point with judging poorly to hold up skaters. Why do skaters need to be held up??? Why can't it be judged absolutely fairly. Like, what you see is what you get at a particular competition. Why is there judging based on reputation, what the judges saw in practice or anything except for this particular moment at this particular time??!!??
Why are there so many points awarded for jumps and bad jumps at that and less points for the art of true FIGURE skating.

Yes, I'm a frustrated long time, old lady fan. Jason Brown's skating is true figure skating but it's like he's in the wrong sport since this is jump skating. And yes I'm a Jason fan but only because of his skill at figure skating, could be anyone else.

badknees

Medalist
Great skate, great jumps, great costume, great Ilia!
No, not a great costume. It's loose and flopping around. Kind of looks like he's wearing a practice jacket.
I think it distracts from his skating and adds to a rather messy look. I'm sure he's a great kid but besides his jumps I'm not a fan of his overall skating skills. Which quite frankly is what figure skating should be about.
I wish they would hurry up with doing a tech medal and an artistic (actual figure skating) medal.

Last edited:
Reactions: snd

badknees

Medalist
Ilia has not found his stride yet with PCS. it reminds me a lot of the awkwardness Bradie Tennell had about 5 years ago. at this stage it is still forced and unnatural for him. he has a long way to go in that department and his scores should not reflect something that isn't there.
Agreed. No skaters scores should reflect anything that isn't there.
Thanks for saying it right about Ilia. His team really, really needs to get him one of the great choreographers that can find the artistry that fits his skating to a tee.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Indeed suprising. Considering he had a clean skate and he's American, you would think this would give them a reason to start inflating that pcs. He got less pcs than his 2nd GP event. I guess its because we are in Japan and he is Uno biggest rival for gold.
Speaking as an American, I'd be furious if any US skater received inflated scores just because of their nationality and hope that fans from other countries feel the same way about their athletes.

Wishing success to all the competitors. You've worked so incredibly hard to get here -- skate your best, savor your moment, and remember to have fun! ❤️

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite Illia's subdued PCS he has a slugger's chanc e to become world champion by dominating the Tech score in the free.

Oh, I'd say he has way more than a slugger's chance. Keeping in mind that the men are so dang inconsistent, if I had to bet right now, I'd put my money on him.

US Nationals aside, his LP has been pretty solid this season. If he skates it reasonably clean, his tech will beat all that will come before him in the skating order, and he should do so easily. After seeing his newfound focus in the SP, I like his chances of a good segment. He doesn't have to be spectacular; he just needs to be very good.

That leaves Uno, who will have to follow him needing a big score with an injury and inconsistent practices and the very high expectations of a home crowd. If he's able to stay within 4 points with all that... then tip of the cap and he deserves the title.

snd

On the Ice
keegan and junhwan were amazing

kevin and shoma were very good

i also liked lukas timing his jumps to hit the musical accents

feel bad for boyang

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Keegan was simply a joy to watch. Everything was spot-on and he looked like he was having so much fun. And the choreography... :love:
Rules are rules and fair is fair but honestly, if it were up to me, he'd be on the podium just for that skate!

BTW, I'm a Yank so this isn't about national bias. :biggrin:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
What a final group for the free! :love2:

I've been rewatching Jun and Keegan for the feel good factor.
Fun fact: the little girl in Mika's Grace Kelly video is now a singer/songwriter and representing the UK in this year's Eurovision song contest (if you follow European music)!

I also liked Vladimir Litvintsev and Boyang is developing his presentation well.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Shoma is in another class. He skates with Jason's musicality but has the quads too. I love Jason forever but feel like after Sinnerman and some of his other work, this SP wasn't that special....and he needed it to be. Ilia, yes, he is getting a lot better but he doesn't deserve 9s yet. Give the dude some time he will grow into his own, and already is.