2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Somehow I managed to figure it out! here it is-https://www.seraphimmontreal.com/ !! it was wonderful singing!

I have studied choir conducting at Music Academy in my country when I was young but, unfortunately, illness of my vocal cords didn't allow to continue. So that keen interest are still there, in me. So why the question.
Sorry to read you had to stop singing. It is such a liberating experience. I know this choir
.. one of the many we have in Montreal. Glad they thought about showcasing that part of our culture

soccerjc77

On the Ice
For real ! That was an amazing event in Montreal. I was there and I hope that we did a great impression with our audience who was cheering really loud, supportive and positive toward every skater. Many standing ovation ! A choral for the medal ceremony ! Touch of maple leaf in the podium and in the Kiss&Cry. The music sounded good in the arena and this was well light atmosphere with a good temperature. Hope that they bring back world to Montreal one day :pray:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ok. that's fair. If I am candid though, he has been saying that he aims at doing so all season. I saw him in the fall at Autumn classic. I would argue that the improvements he made from October until now were on base value. It will take a lot more commitment from him to convince me that he really cares about the aesthetics of the sport.. it's not just choreo and transition... it's posture, elegant skating, flow, edge quality. I don't want to see quints. I don't want to see 4lz-Eu-4S :) or a 4a-3a sequence. I also don't care if he can land all quads in one program, which is something that he has mentioned as well.

This brings back an old thought Patrick Chan had when skaters started to add and add quads. He felt that if he did that, he no longer had the time to skate a real program. That setting up the big jumps took too much of the 4 minutes. I would dare Ilia to remove one or two of his 6 quads and save that time needed for setting them up for more skating in between elements. He is lucky because he needs less time to get into a quad than anyone else. He could then integrate the jumps to the program better. Am I too demanding ? Maybe.

Patrick Chan never even had a consistent 3a, never mind a second quad. He went for transitions instead. That was his choice.

Ilia has gradually improved his non-jump elements. At one time, his spins were awful, but he worked hard at improving them, and some of his spins are now spectacular. He has said that he wants to improve his presentation, and that's not happening overnight. As far as emotional expression goes, Ilia is 19, not 25. What I would like to see from him is better music choices.

The same kinds of criticism were directed at Nathan Chen when he was just starting to come into his own. That didn't stop him from winning an individual Olympic gold medal.

Maybe you don't care about the increasing technical difficulty of the sport, and don't care much for Ilia's quad axel and other difficult quads. But it was clear last night that the Canadian crowd was thrilled by Ilia's performance, and rightly so.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
would adam have won with a clean sp? can someone do the math?

Here's how he could have won:

Abandon Benoit's choreography, abandon his skating skills, turn off the music, just start jumping 8 quads. Done. The problem is, I would never want to watch Adam again. He wouldn't be Adam. Years ago, Yuzu added a fifth quad for an event and it made the program look like crap. It also made Yuzu look like someone other than Yuzu. And he said that made him unhappy.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think the penalty for blatant disregard for the rules should be higher. Of course, I don’t get why people go crazy over the backflip.

They go crazy for it because they would like to break the rules and do it themselves. They're living vicariously.

Years ago I was on an airplane and a mother brought a crying baby on the plane. "Wha wha wha whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaa." It went on and on and on and on.

Someone shouted at the top of their lungs "Jesus H. Christ!" The entire plane erupted in laughter. Why? Because one person broke a social "rule" that they always wanted to break themselves, but didn't. Oh, and the person who shouted Jesus H. Christ? That was me.

When the plane landed and I was taking down my luggage from the overhead, one person after the other came up and rested their hand on my shoulder and said, "I always wanted to do that. Thank you."

It's okay to break a rule every now and then.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For real ! That was an amazing event in Montreal. I was there and I hope that we did a great impression with our audience who was cheering really loud, supportive and positive toward every skater. Many standing ovation ! A choral for the medal ceremony ! Touch of maple leaf in the podium and in the Kiss&Cry. The music sounded good in the arena and this was well light atmosphere with a good temperature. Hope that they bring back world to Montreal one day :pray:
Montreal Worlds and Europeans in Lithuania were both brilliant this season! The audiences and arenas appeared so warm and welcoming to everyone. ❤️ :clap:

Moon322

Rinkside
The irony of "but it is still called figure skating, and not figure jumping" is just too much considering figures aren't a part of the sport anymore.

Also, one of the constants among FS fans is that whoever your favorite is, they are an artistic master, while completely ignoring and writing off the artistry of every other skater.

Call it a jumping competition then.

Adam is not my favorite skater, but he shows a story on the ice, he connects to the music and he can perform, which I appreciate. His determination and commitment yesterday was great to see. Whereas I don't see much artistry in Ilia's skating. There are random hand movements here and there, but he doesn't hear the music, he doesn't perform well on the ice. Maybe it'll come with time, maybe not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick Chan never even had a consistent 3a, never mind a second quad. He went for transitions instead. That was his choice.

Ilia has gradually improved his non-jump elements. At one time, his spins were awful, but he worked hard at improving them, and some of his spins are now spectacular. He has said that he wants to improve his presentation, and that's not happening overnight. As far as emotional expression goes, Ilia is 19, not 25. What I would like to see from him is better music choices.

The same kinds of criticism were directed at Nathan Chen when he was just starting to come into his own. That didn't stop him from winning an individual Olympic gold medal.

Maybe you don't care about the increasing technical difficulty of the sport, and don't care much for Ilia's quad axel and other difficult quads. But it was clear last night that the Canadian crowd was thrilled by Ilia's performance, and rightly so.
My mentioning of Patrick is not about his achievements in the sport in a former generation of great skaters. It is about how many quads one needs to put in a program if there is an interest in choreo.

Patrick at 17 was already a better PCs skater than ilia.

Nathan developed some aspects later but he always had lines and refined posture. His skating was also smoother.

How old is Yuma? Because you know, he won silver at Olympics 2 years ago and is already a complete skater. How old was Shoma when he burst onto the senior scene and started winning events. Just saying that it has to be part of his focus and not just something to work on as a secondary thing

Last edited:

JeanA

Rinkside
Ilia’s program only has ultra-c elements.
And he can still improve his technical difficulty with a 3A - 3A sequence instead.
Or 4flip-3A sequence. What I found interesting on rewatch is that the crowd went wild for the 4axel, but the applause on his next three quads was kind of muted, like they thought he was only doing triples. I guess the crowd couldn't scream for every one of his jump passes, though if another skater did even one quad they'd get a rousing applause. He just makes it look too easy. And I'm all here for it.

cailuj365

On the Ice
I adore Shoma's skating and the quiet and stillness of his LP, but there is something wrong with the composition or layout of the 2nd half of that program. For him to always end that late after the music finishes and always get a time violation is just a bit stupid after awhile. Not sure why his coaching team did not address this.

Over the next 1-2 years, I think Yuma probably could get very close to the score Ilia posted last night. Yuma only had three quads in the FS, he fell once, and he still scored 309 total. He paced himself because of his injury last year, but with his technique, he could easily add 1-2 more quads for next year, and 320s are certainly possible. I'm sure this is what he is thinking too. Adam too. They all need to keep working (Ilia included) to get the next crown. I'm so excited to see it all go down.

Or 4flip-3A sequence. What I found interesting on rewatch is that the crowd went wild for the 4axel, but the applause on his next three quads was kind of muted, like they thought he was only doing triples. I guess the crowd couldn't scream for every one of his jump passes, though if another skater did even one quad they'd get a rousing applause. He just makes it look too easy. And I'm all here for it.

When I watch Ilia, by the time he finishes his 4S, I'm just sitting in stunned awe and disbelief. Like, how does one make it look that easy and controlled? His jumps are not about firepower but about control. Also, you can't celebrate too quickly with Ilia, because he still has two quad combinations in the second half so it only gets more difficult. He had the audience during his step sequence, choreo sequence, and ending sequence though, so it wasn't just the jumps last night.

Last edited:
Here's how he could have won:

Abandon Benoit's choreography, abandon his skating skills, turn off the music, just start jumping 8 quads. Done. The problem is, I would never want to watch Adam again. He wouldn't be Adam. Years ago, Yuzu added a fifth quad for an event and it made the program look like crap. It also made Yuzu look like someone other than Yuzu. And he said that made him unhappy.
I have to admit that the only two programs that held my attention all the way through were Jason Brown's and Yuma Kagiyama's (I didn't see Adam Sao Him Fa's). To me, Ilia Malinin put on the greatest fireworks display in the history of the sport, no wonder he won by 20 points. But did he do any skating?

Oh well, upward and onward.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Catching up on the men’s skates.

Kudos to Ilia for slaying so hard. His overall skating has improved but his jumps were next level… that 4Z-Eu-3F… dayum.

Wow to Adam’s epic comeback. He needed help but so satisfying to see him get it back together after that disaster of an SP.

Love Yuma and how he completes his movements. He’s a skater’s skater even if I do find his expression and projection isn’t as good as others.

Jason had a great showing here but he’s regressed for me. His programs aren’t as well constructed as prior seasons and it’s missing the X factor even though many things are performed crisply and neatly. Also the telegraphing into his 3A is way too much right now. Still a perennial fave

Shoma had a nice SP (albeit a bit weird) and I was rooting for the three peat but there was no touching Ilia. He tried his best though and still put up a great fight.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have to admit that the only two programs that held my attention all the way through were Jason Brown's and Yuma Kagiyama's (I didn't see Adam Sao Him Fa's). To me, Ilia Malinin put on the greatest fireworks display in the history of the sport, no wonder he won by 20 points. But did he do any skating?

2016 4CC. One man did 4 quads in the FS with a score of 191.38. The winner of the FS did 2 quads with a score of 203.99. Infer what you will.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well... Where my friends and I were, it was pretty loud for almost all his jumps . We were cheering. But I think we were numb for the second quad.... Seeing a quad Axel in competition is awesome. He did it at the gala today as well. The jump is so high and he rotates so fast
Crazy scary impressive mind numbing experience