Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

rebirth4u

Spectator
Hm, Why did Orser expose her LP music? Because when finishing their contract the employer didn't said to the employee "Well, I wnat to stop working with you 3 month, plz prepare your heart. Sall I stop working with you?" I think Orser is exaggerating too much.

K

kej934

If Brian's classy figure was with Yun, face to face, cleaning up those misunderstanding would be much better.

Sigh. Those who think Orser releasing information about new program is not a big deal, could you please explain every reason why it is not?

I think it is not a big deal because it is utterly trivial.

Someone is going to skate to such-and-such music and has a great program planned? Well, that's nice. No need for cloak and dagger secrecy.

hellcat

Rinkside
Dunno thie can become such a big deal. The contract between Yuna and Brian was over and didn't get extended. It's as simple as that.

As far as I know Brian signed contract with IMG this May. Mao or JSF(?) showed some interest in him (this was probably April sometime?). He refused.
Then, I heard JSF sent their juniors (from IMG Japan) to the Cricket along with JSF officials.
No big deal and understandable. After all, it's all business.

What I don't understand is that he didn't have to deny that he was offered by JSF or Mao in Canadian tv interview and he didn't have to break out Yuna's LP.

That doesn't help anybody at all.

Last edited:

samsarah

Rinkside
How has Yu-Na's career been damaged since his comments? Has she lost endorsement opportunities? If she doesn't go to Worlds, is it because of his actions or the basic fact that winning everything in sight challenges her motivation? I think you're overstating it by a considerable margin. She's a legend in part due to his tuttelage. I don't see his comments undoing, undermining or in any way changing that. Hell, you've come here as a consequence of this and are defending her. I don't think you're dedication to Kim, regardless of his actions, changes.

Brian's comments certainly damaged Yuna's career as a public figure. Yuna is known to be immensely popular in Korea. Her every move is monitored by the media; people buy the products Yuna advertises, listens to the music she skated to, and criticizes her harsh, if they think Yuna did not meet the society's national hero standard.

Brian's comments made Yuna and her agency look really bad (worse than a politician, who has one of the poorest reputations in Korea). Don’t get me wrong because I do feel for Brian. I understand that he was hurt and felt the need to protect his students and the club. But I cannot help myself but wonder if there could have been a more peaceful, rational way to part ways with his star pupil Yuna. A way that would not have seriously harmed both the skaters’ and coach’s career. But maybe I am being too sensitive, and making a mountain out of a molehill myself. :)

miki88

Medalist
What I don't understand is that he didn't have to deny that he was offered by JSF or Mao in Canadian tv interview and he didn't have to break out Yuna's LP.

He did that because ATS cited that as one of the main reasons at first. I do think he went a little overboard by releasing his e-mail to Phil Hersh. The interesting thing is Brian and Korean media keep on talking about the Mao thing when JSF, Mao side, and IMG have all denied it ever occurred.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But Brian has said his side of the story over and over again. Did it ever occur to you that for the most part Yu-na doesn't want to go into it. Maybe its actually a form of loyalty that Yu-na doesn't want to tell the world all of the gory details of why she doesn't want to be coached by Brian anymore.
[/B]

Exactly!!!

What will people say if Yu Na tells the world what really has happened between Orser and herself which has lead to her final dicision to split that would reveal a dark side of Orser? Will people jump up and scream and spit at her that Yu Na was not loyal and grateful to a coach who has lead her up to the pinnacle? Maybe Orser was sure that Yu Na won't speak out about it because it was not good for herself as well? Somethings better kept wrapped and let them die.

Looks like David Wilson knows more and doesn't agree with Orser. Pitty. I am concerning for Orser's other skaters.

hellcat

Rinkside
He did that because ATS cited that as one of the main reasons at first. I do think he went a little overboard by releasing his e-mail to Phil Hersh. The interesting thing is Brian and Korean media keep on talking about the Mao thing when JSF, Mao side, and IMG have all denied it ever occurred.

Anyway, my point is that his stock went up quite a bit after his work with Yuna especially after this OGM.

Then, there're more people want to be coached by him and IMG wants contract. He accepted (who wouldn't?).

Obvisouly, he won't be able to concentrate on Yuna like before with good reason. He didn't join Yuna's show in Korea. I believe he was spotted in Japan by many people during that time?

There could be something or some tension between them. But at this point, I don't understand that not extending the contract can be such a big deal.

Also, I think it's quite conincidental that this broke out timely when they start selling Yuna LA show tickets.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
But I cannot help myself but wonder if there could have been a more peaceful, rational way to part ways with his star pupil Yuna. A way that would not have seriously harmed both the skaters’ and coach’s career.

How about this? Yu-Na tells Brian, face-to-face, that she no longer requires his services as a coach. She can bring a translator if necessary, but don't send Mommy. Then they issue a JOINT statement to the news media about their separation. Each party thanks the other, and wishes the other the best of success and good fortune in all their future endeavors.

Now somebody tell me what's so hard about that. :confused:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Brian's comments certainly damaged Yuna's career as a public figure. Yuna is known to be immensely popular in Korea. Her every move is monitored by the media; people buy the products Yuna advertises, listens to the music she skated to, and criticizes her harsh, if they think Yuna did not meet the society's national hero standard.

Brian's comments made Yuna and her agency look really bad (worse than a politician, who has one of the poorest reputations in Korea). Don’t get me wrong because I do feel for Brian. I understand that he was hurt and felt the need to protect his students and the club. But I cannot help myself but wonder if there could have been a more peaceful, rational way to part ways with his star pupil Yuna. A way that would not have seriously harmed both the skaters’ and coach’s career. But maybe I am being too sensitive, and making a mountain out of a molehill myself. :)

A day later, I'm begnning to agree. I do think it takes two to tango, and because I believe Orser's narrative more than Kim et al's, I'm inclined to cut him some slack. But there's no denying that both sides handled this poorly.

David Wilson has choreographed for skaters outside the Cricket Club (Dube/Davison), so I don't see contractual arrangements being a major issue.

samsarah

Rinkside
Dunno thie can become such a big deal. The contract between Yuna and Brian was over and didn't get extended. It's as simple as that.

As far as I know Brian signed contract with IMG this May. Mao or JSF(?) showed some interest in him (this was probably April sometime?). He refused.
Then, I heard JSF sent their juniors (from IMG Japan) to the Cricket along with JSF officials.
No big deal and understandable. After all, it's all business.

Please do not bring in Mao into this discussion. As you said, "that doesn't help anybody at all."

But I do think it weird that Brian is changing his statements about the offer he received from Mao's agency.
I remeber reading an article about this in April, that Brian was approached by Mao's agent and he flattly declined.
He then immediately sent an email to Yuna.
In this email it said "her agency inquired me (and team) to be their coach." " I was flattered to be offered by an athlete of such caliber"
Two nights ago Brian appeared in a Korean broadcast and said he did receive this offer from Mao.
But later in CTV interveiw he refutes his own statements. His words changes to "absolutely not."

I think Brian was confused after having too many interviews with too many medias. Maybe he will wake up this morning and say, what a mess I've made, and amend his previous statements on Mao and her agency. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, while I know David Wilson would've rather the music choice hadn't been aired, it gave me the pleasure of hearing a new, BEAUTIFUL piece of music, so I forgive that :D

janetfan

Match Penalty
Also, while I know David Wilson would've rather the music choice hadn't been aired, it gave me the pleasure of hearing a new, BEAUTIFUL piece of music, so I forgive that :D

I agree it is a beautiful piece of music and I have played it many times.
But how do you know Wilson's feelings about this? Did you ask him?

Has he made a statement that you can link to where he specifically says he is upset that Orser made a few comments about Yuna's new LP music?

For Wilson to say he is upset with this "situation" is one thing. But that does not mean he is upset about Orser's "words of praise" about the new LP. Most likely it means he is upset in general with the way this split is being handled.

I could just as easily say "Wilson is upset about the tweet Yuna sent."
I would not be surprised if he is upset about it but I have no direct knowledge of Wilson's feelings or a link to such a quote.

Last edited:

samsarah

Rinkside
How about this? Yu-Na tells Brian, face-to-face, that she no longer requires his services as a coach. She can bring a translator if necessary, but don't send Mommy. Then they issue a JOINT statement to the news media about their separation. Each party thanks the other, and wishes the other the best of success and good fortune in all their future endeavors.

Now somebody tell me what's so hard about that. :confused:

Genious idea!

They certainly could have done that, a press conference with the media, and none of this mess would have had to occur.
However, if Yuna wanted to part ways with Brian in a private, quite manner, I do respect her decision.

By the way, after reading your post, I cannot help myself but seeing Yuna meeting Brain, and after shaking his hands, telling him "you are fired" lol

Yet who knows? Brian might have still went to the press and started his argument.