Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

Manner is just the right word, Deedee. The better preposition here would be in, I think, though with isn't entirely incorrect.

Miki's beauty often seems to stand out more in her off-ice moments. Maybe, as you say, it's because she looks more relaxed. Also, she often dresses more simply off the ice, and she looks better in less fussy wear. Thanks for this link!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's not a matter of height but the federation's backing.

Anyway, I suspect Miyahara's biggest threat could be Riona Kato, not Suzuki or Ando.
Kato is said be going for the quad salchow in competition (landing it in practice?)
I think the 3rd spot will go to the "most promising" young skater seen by JSF officials.

I would really like to see those 3 spots go to the ladies who have been carrying the torch for Japan for the last 4 years: Mao, Akiko and Kanako. It'd be nice for Miki to go and she's definitely done her part to keep Japan on the map but those other three have been competing nonstop since Vancouver and are the top Japanese ladies in the world. IMO they deserve to go.

I love Miyahara but I do think she's in the "wait your turn" group of skaters. Her skills are excellent but I don't think she's where she needs to be to legitimately compete against the bigger names in the sport. I'd like to see her get a trip to worlds (if she's eligible) and begin building her reputation there.

NMURA

Medalist
Miyahara has no "turn" to wait. By the elimination of current seniors, she is expected to contribute for the mission three spots after Sochi. In the case of unexpected developments, worlds in Saitama could be the challenge. Having the Olympic experience or not will influence one's career greatly. I think Miyahara will be selected for the Olympic team unless someone in junior appeals more effectively.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Miyahara has no "turn" to wait. By the elimination of current seniors, she is expected to contribute for the mission three spots after Sochi. In the case of unexpected developments, worlds in Saitama could be the challenge. Having the Olympic experience or not will influence one's career greatly. I think Miyahara will be selected for the Olympic team unless someone in junior appeals more effectively.
So you think that Akiko won't go to the Olympics? Well... :rolleye:

NMURA

Medalist

I've already posted my opinion in "what does Suzuki lack" thread.
Suzuki lack a chance of an Olympic medal and future expectations. As long as the 3rd skater has no chance of a medal, they should go with the future. The JSF's demand to Ando could be interpreted, "a veteran who has no chance of an Olympic medal shall not be treated as a candidate." In this sense, both Ando and Suzuki are in a same boat.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Akiko is an old skater, turning 28 years old, she might have hit her all time peak last season
her recent 2013 national competition few weeks ago was not good but well see, we wrote her off after Worlds but came back at WTT

lcd

Match Penalty
The extent to which her pregnancy was kept "secret" (extremely well I believe it is safe to say) obviously says something about some level of concern over how the news would be received by the public, fans, etc. Once her baby was born, there's nothing like an adorable baby girl to make people smile. That said, does anyone have a sense for how her situation is being perceived by skating fans in Japan? I ask as it is not necessarily common for this situation to arise, particularly in a sport like figure skating where so much is perception, and image, all of which is somewhat "fantastical"/fantasy-like in nature. Being a mother is about as real as it gets. Juxtapose that with being a world class athlete in a very popular sport (in her home country), and what do you get? How is it going? I'm rooting for her. Just expressing curiosity balanced with concern in my posing this question :think:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Manner is just the right word, Deedee. The better preposition here would be in, I think, though with isn't entirely incorrect.

Miki's beauty often seems to stand out more in her off-ice moments. Maybe, as you say, it's because she looks more relaxed. Also, she often dresses more simply off the ice, and she looks better in less fussy wear. Thanks for this link!

As always, thank you so much, Olympia! ^^)/ You are the best English teacher for me.
And re Miki looking gorgeous in less fussy wear, ITA! :yes:

As always, thank you so much, Olympia! ^^)/ You are the best English teacher for me.
And re Miki looking gorgeous in less fussy wear, ITA! :yes:

My pleasure, Deedee. Someday I hope to be able to write in a second language as well as you write in English.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from Nebelhorn thread:

Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21
Two-time World Champ @M1K1_ANDO Miki Ando (JPN) to start comeback after break & baby at Nebelhorn Trophy Sep 25-28 in Oberstdorf. Good luck!
4:24 AM - 17 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/Tatjana21/status/379928901696229376

I am a little surprised Ando is going to make a cmeback; but I guess it is the Olympics. Ihope this doesn't end up like D and S where they faded out. I mean kudos for being a mom and trying to come back. Lots of dreams I guess andpeopel should go for them but some are more realistic than others. I guess to be fair does anyone know what kind of shape Miki is in? There some skaters that seem to be pass their prime or never really reached their pinnacle ie. Czisny but for whatever reason you wonder if this is it ie. poor Korpi.

I will be avid to see what shape she's in post-baby. I hope she does well.

Unlike a lot of the other last-chance contenders this season, Miki really does have a track record as a two-time world champion. At her best, she's certainly worth a top-five finish internationally, or maybe even top three, but we still have to see how close to her best she is.

altuixde

On the Ice
How did Miki get an international assignment so soon? I thought the JSF wasn't going to give her one unless she does well at nationals (or was it regionals?). I might not have understood correctly, though. Anyway, I'm rooting for her.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Really? Then best of luck to Miki at Nebelhorn! :yay:

I guess to be fair does anyone know what kind of shape Miki is in?

Here is her latest performance from Friends On Ice (late August): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YanYUGcYRMw
Iirc, she's been doing only 3S, 2A (and 3T?, not so sure) in shows this summer, Idk whether or not she's gotten her gorgeous 3Lz or 3L back yet...But since JSF has approved her participating at Nebelhorn, my guess is she at least has a decent/so-so-reliable 3L now, so that she can fill in all 7 jumping passes for her LP.

Any news about her programs?

No. Japanese media has not informed any on Miki's programs/music so far...

ETA) My favorite performances by Miki:
-at J Nats 2007 Dec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AVPUpVBbU
-at J Nats 2010 Dec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ulEsRWGAk

Look at her expression at the end of both performances. Priceless! I love Miki when she is on fire. :biggrin:

cinnamon

On the Ice
It's just a rumor so that I don't want to drop it in The Program thread just yet, but Miki's new SP is Andre Rieu's "My Way" they say. Can anyone, who's been to Prince Ice Worlds shows in Ibaragi this weekend, confirm this rumor, please? She popped a Lutz, but landed 3S and 2A there.

source) http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/figureskate/headlines/article/20130921-00000101-jij
Here is another source:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130921-OYT1T00765.htm
Although it's not said the name of the music, according to this article it sounds like My Way is the one.