Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova?

UnChosen

On the Ice
Kostner: No
Sotnikova: YES

Even if Kostner's score was slightly ahead of Kim I would have no complaint. If she's clean and perform like she did today her PCS should be second to none...even Kim.

Sotnikova on the other hand just reminds me of my frustration at skaters getting huge PCS just because they have the tricks. (Hanyu, V/T, etc.)

volk

Final Flight
Sotnikova had a much better program so I don't have problem with her scores

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Sotnikova's program was so energic, dynamic and had difficult transitions (like the 2a entrance). I think she deserved her score.
Kostner is underscored in my opinion. She deserved 2 or 3 points higher PCS than Yuna and Adelina.
Yuna's program is so easy with almost no transition, so she skates it so beautifully like queen.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sotnikova's program was so energic, dynamic and had difficult transitions (like the 2a entrance). I think she deserved her score.
Kostner is underscored in my opinion. She deserved 2 or 3 points higher PCS than Yuna and Adelina.
Yuna's program is so easy with almost no transition, so she skates it so beautifully like queen.

I love Adelina but I would be satisfied had Caro scored 2 points higher. It astounds me that even with the difficult combo and her higher PCS that she could be surpassed by both Yuna and Adelina. However, Caro's LP is far better than Adelina's so I think you will see a more sizable PCS gap there if both skate equally well.

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
Typical Russian inflation. So glad that gumby fell. If she was born in China, South Korea, etc, she could never advance to top 10. Those horrendous flute, cheated tiny jumps. She has no chance to get past puberty monster. It is laughable hear people think she can be a contender in 2018. She comes, she goes, bye bye Gumby.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was happy that Sotnikova did well as I like her but I think her PSC was too high relative to the other two (Kim and Kostner). I also think that Lipnitskaya was overscored on PCS with a bad fall that really interrupted her program. She should have behind Ashley for sure and closer to Paulina if not below her. With a clean skate no but that skate was not good. Anyone else would really have been nailed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'll make my intentions clear: i'm rooting for Gracie to win a medal. No denying that. However, the placements are correct. My issue is the margin. All i'm asking for is that if Gracie hits a clean free skate that she can get on the podium, but can she make up 6 points?

But what if Carolina, yuna and Adeline are all clean too - do you think it is fair for Gracie to podium?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jason Brown can come chat with me after he has mastered the quad ;)

Fair enough and lose the ponytail - sorry my pet peeve right now. He may have something special but it is still developing; i personally found many shortcomings with Riverdance - he really never captured theflair and heart of it like Bourne and Kraatz.

Krislite

Medalist
True, the gap is absolutely huge when you consider there's no way Gold will get the PCS of Kostner or Sotnikova. One of those girls will have to have a major meltdown to completely blow their 6 point cushion over Gold. Of course, they are both capable of epic meltdowns, so it's a slim but nonzero chance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I love Adelina but I would be satisfied had Caro scored 2 points higher. It astounds me that even with the difficult combo and her higher PCS that she could be surpassed by both Yuna and Adelina. However, Caro's LP is far better than Adelina's so I think you will see a more sizable PCS gap there if both skate equally well.

It may not be fair but Kostner may be just getting karma as she has been held up so often. But I am so proud of her for the triple flip triple toe. On the other hand Wagner really can't seem to rotate that triple triple. Not only is there a two foot issue but it is often well under rotated. Yuna did great but was a little tight for her. Kind of like V and T's pair's skate in the short. Well done but not sparkling and a little tight.

Icey

Record Breaker
Jason Brown and Co. would like to have a word with you about that...

I fear Jason is one of those skaters ( like Chan) who will never really have the surest triple axel. He has splendid positions and is a wonderful entertainer , but just might travel down the same road competitively as a similar skater, Sean Sawyer of Canada.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jason Brown's 3Axel is already far more secure than Sawyer's ever was, not to mention his 3Lutz.

Icey

Record Breaker
Jason Brown's 3Axel is already far more secure than Sawyer's ever was, not to mention his 3Lutz.

I didn't compare his 3 ax to Sawyers, but to that of Chan's, if anybody's. Saying it is far more secure than Sawyer's is not really a compliment or encouraging.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Curiously, if she did a 4T<<-3T, it would be worth less than a 3T-3T executed cleanly. Oh, this system sometimes...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I didn't compare his 3 ax to Sawyers, but to that of Chan's, if anybody's. Saying it is far more secure than Sawyer's is not really a compliment or encouraging.

Time to whip out the Jason Brown triple axel boiler plate (with new Olympic data!). See below. For whatever reason, he hasn't been able to get that second 3A ratified. But yet he can do a perfect one six short programs in a row? (Not to mention the fact that he can skate six clean SPs in a row...pretty awesome). It seems like a mental thing. I think he will get it.

Prior to Junior Worlds:
JGP Istanbul 2012
SP: 3A<< ; -1.43 GOE
FS: 3A< ; -3.00 GOE

JGP Final 2012
SP: 3A; -0.71 GOE
FS: Waxeled. (zero points)

U.S. Nationals 2013
SP: 3A< -3.00 GOE (fall)
FS: 3A-3T< -1.14 GOE; 3A<< (fall); -1.50

Post Junior Worlds

Junior Worlds 2013
SP: 3A +0.86
FS: 3A-2T +0.14; 3A +1.00

Nebelhorn Trophy
SP: 3A + 0.86
FS: 3A+3T +0.57; 3A<< -1.50

Skate America
SP: 3A +1.14
FS: 3A<< -1.50 (fall); 3A-1T -2.14

Trophee Eric Bompard
SP: 3A +1.14
FS: 3A-2T -0.14; 1A

U.S. Nationals
SP: 3A +0.29
FS: 3A-3T +1.43; 3A< -1.00

Olympics Team Event
FS: 3A-3T +0.71; 3A< -0.86

Olympics
SP: 3A +0.86
FS: 3A-3T< -2.71; 3A< -3.00

Since U.S. Nationals he has made 3 triple axel attempts at each competition. Since Junior Worlds, Jason has been 6/6 in getting the 3A with +GOE in the short program.

The problem with his 3A has been with the free skate, and more specifically the second 3A in the program. He is 5/7 with the opening 3A combo (and 4/7 for getting +GOE) but he is only 2/7 for the second 3A attempt (and just 1/7 for positive GOE).

Since Junior Worlds: Jason got the jump ratified (no UR, no pop) 14 out of 20 attempts (70 percent). He only popped the jump once out of 15 (7 percent) and only fell once (7 percent).

He does tend to two-foot the jump when he messes up, as a result his +GOE 3A rate is much lower he got +GOE 11 out of 20 attempts (55 percent).

The biggest hurdle with his 3A is specifically the second 3A in his program. When you take out the second 3A attempt in the FS out of the statistics, his ratification rate is 85 percent and his +GOE rate is 77 percent. He also messed up that second attempt (turnout) when I watched him practice at Nationals, which tells me it's a mental thing. What also convinces me that it's a mental thing is that there when I watch him practice the jump , I'd say he was about 95 percent (which matches reports from other practices).

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to get some stats out there..