Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Did the judges overscore Kostner and Sotnikova?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Carolina deserved that point. She was absolutely incredible. After her performance I had mixed feelings because I wanted Yuna to win but Carolina also did great. In the end, I didn't mind if she got that close to Yuna or even exceed her a little. Yuna was obviously worried last night but she shook it off. She was a little underscored IMO. For me, maybe 75-78.

Adelina was sooo over scored in both TES and PCS. Her GoEs are ridiculous. 3T-3T with +1.60 GoE? Take off and air position was a little wonky. And Yuna got 1.50 on 3Lz-3T? I don't get it. Her PCS was too high. It's ridiculous. For me, her movements looked robotic. But idk if that's just me. I wanted to punch the tv in the end. Caro should have placed over Adelina. And Adelina should have scored 3-4pts lower than Yuna and Caro. It's like the Russian fed is trying to throw someone into that podium whenever they see possible.

Too bad for Mao tho. It broke my heart. :( I wish she'll do well in the LP. And Yulia was so disappointed. And no one hugged her afterwards. I feel bad for her too but she was over scored again.

This ridiculous home-cooked scoring is getting more obvious. I hope Yuna kills the entire field in LP. :p

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
I was happy that Sotnikova did well as I like her but I think her PSC was too high relative to the other two (Kim and Kostner). I also think that Lipnitskaya was overscored on PCS with a bad fall that really interrupted her program. She should have behind Ashley for sure and closer to Paulina if not below her. With a clean skate no but that skate was not good. Anyone else would really have been nailed.

+!

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Of course, but this time they include Kostner - and could have included Asada if she did well. that's the point, showing the world that they are not as Russian biased as people say. The strategy is obvious. Line them up with Kim in short if they are decent enough, then finalize the order in free. it all depends on whether Kim will be clean, of course, and how many will do clean, then as they showed in short, they can manipulate by qualitatively indiscriminate GOE and arbitrary level and under-rot or downgrade as a pretext to comparatively penalize the non Russians if given a chance.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Kostner was not overscored in the slightest. Sotnikova on the other hand... There are some fishy levels coming out from the tech panel.

usethis2

Medalist
Yuna is held to a different standard. Just look at the jumps. When Yuna lands her jumps, those jumps are considered as-a-matter-of-fact'ly. Then they complain how she did not exude enough emotion or she's too machine-like, blah blah blah.. Then other skaters lands a jump, and you look at them and what do you see? You see them sooooooooooooo happy and relieved by the fact that they did not fall. Don't tell me you don't see that because that is a FACT. Often when other skaters than Yuna land a difficult jump (however ugly that jump may be), you will see them excited and relieved, with their mouth from ear to ear. Then people say how "emotional" they are, and how much they are "into it," or some such.

They simply can't realize that jumps are part of choreography for Yuna, not a job to be done. It's ridiculous that Adelina and Carolina receive same GOEs for jumps as Yuna's.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Kostner was not overscored in the slightest. Sotnikova on the other hand... There are some fishy levels coming out from the tech panel.

Not that I am interested in pressing my case upon you, but Kostner's skating doesn't evolve dramatically to justify 75; her overall quality lands her barely 70s at her superb shape. Only that she doesn't fall won't makes it a pristine skating. Well, come to think of it, you may be right under the current judging practice. but then, Kim was underscored, if Kostner was not overscored. I will put it that way.

guanchi

On the Ice
Kostner's program was okay, but not as emotionally involving as Yuna's skate. Plus, I thought she had slightly weaker jumps- 3t after her 3f looked ur, her loop was gorgeous-light and high- but so was Yuna's, and her 2a looked nowhere near as good as Yuna. Spins looked stronger than before, but still weaker than Sot and Kim, even with Kim's spin flub. If Kim hadn't missed some levels, then imo she should be around 75-76. Not a runaway score, but def. higher than Kostner, who looks maxed out.
Adelina- missed her skate. Damn you NBC, stop showing this skiing crap and interviews with stoner-looking ski bums and get back to the ice!!!

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Kostner's program was okay, but not as emotionally involving as Yuna's skate. Plus, I thought she had slightly weaker jumps- 3t after her 3f looked ur, her loop was gorgeous-light and high- but so was Yuna's, and her 2a looked nowhere near as good as Yuna. Spins looked stronger than before, but still weaker than Sot and Kim, even with Kim's spin flub. If Kim hadn't missed some levels, then imo she should be around 75-76. Not a runaway score, but def. higher than Kostner, who looks maxed out.
Adelina- missed her skate. Damn you NBC, stop showing this skiing crap and interviews with stoner-looking ski bums and get back to the ice!!!
Judges disagree. Thank God.

jehan215

On the Ice
I reckon Kostner was great - her score was just about right.

Sotnikova on the other hand, skated clean but her choreography seemed too junior-ish for me. Transitions, arm movements, etc just wasn't smooth or natural - light years away from the other mature skaters. As Phillip Hersh says, she was "grossly overscored". No idea how it could come THAT close to Yuna's score - though I do admit it wasn't dynamic as her 2010 SP.

Frankly, I do not believe in home advantage. It would just be unfair for those skaters from countries that can't afford to host the Olympics. I hope judges realize that by being inconsistent in their scoring process, they're bringing a war upon themselves.

guanchi

On the Ice
Judges disagree. Thank God.
Of course your opinion, just like mine. As for Caro's score, I'm sure you want to thank the judges, not God, cuz even God can clearly see that a 3lz-3t> 3f-3t, 3f>3r, and Yuna's 2a>Caro 2a.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Sorry, didn't need to be rude. Yu Na deserves her lead, but Kostner as far as performance was magical.

ginal

Rinkside
Kim: underscored
Kostner: overscored a bit
Adelina: overscored a lot
Gracie: underscored a bit
Julia: overscored

Antilopa

On the Ice
Kim: overscored a lot
Kostner: overscored a bit
Adelina: overscored
Gracie: overscored
Julia: overscored a lot

tempus

Rinkside
Kostner: perhaps slightly, but it was a lovely skate.
Sotnikova: are you kidding? Grossly, to use Philip Hersh's adverb.

Basics

On the Ice
Yes, but only slightly.

Btw, Yuna should've been URed for her 3T. The technical panel was very strict on UR calls on the night, but luckily Yuna got away with it.

gds102

Rinkside
Yes Yes.
Both are overscored.
Especially Sotnikova. Both her PCS and TES are freakin high. Russians are cra-zy.