2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I agree about pairs and men not being decided. I think Sadovsky and Messing were so unreliable at their GPs that Gogolev has a real shot at the men's team.

As for pairs, of course Stellato-Dudeck/Deschamps are in. After that I think nationals performances are going to make a big difference. McIntosh/Mimar may have an edge for a spot, but I think they still need to prove they deserve a spot, and both Goldenspin and nationals will be key for Pereira/Michaud. Don't count out Laurin/Éthier for a spot. I don't think anyone can rest on their laurels, aside from Deanna and Max.

In dance the team will be Piper and Paul and FB/S. There's a near zero chance they don't go with the two teams who have won grand prixs this season and are going to the final. Sad for Lajoie/Lagha. Hope they can keep hungry and continue to perform, even knowing worlds is most likely out of their grasp this year. Has to be frustrating, especially when they seemed to have the better momentum in the early season.

As for women, the only choice is really Maddie Schizas.

I personally don't see how McIntosh/Mimar don't get a spot considering they did decently well in the Grand Prix circuit and also the fact that we have 3 spots...I don't see both Pereira/Michaud AND Laurin/Éthier eclipsing them...as for the men, I would think Messing would for sure get a spot because he has been reliable for the past few years and also the fact we have 2 spots, I don't see how both Sadovsky AND Gogolev eclipsing him...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Men : honestly, Roman needs to skate well at Nationals... because I wouldn't send him... thankfully for him, I am not the boss :)

But, fortunately for him, he skates best at home.

I don't think they would send Conrad unless he gives two amazing performances... but they may consider Chiu or Gogo.

Messing : let's hope he skates more like Nebelhorn's free than anything else.

Dance is set...

Schizas is set but if Gabby outskated her by a definite margin, I cannot see them not sending her... really... but will that happen? Unlikely.

Pairs : Deanna and Maxime are in....but then, even if I do believe Brooke and Ben have the edge over the others, there are 3 teams other teams in the hunt... You guys have mentioned Laurin and Éthier..and Trennt and Lia... However, nobody mentioned Matte and Ferland... They have been injured and not doing so well in their first assignment before injury... BUT they have much better lifts than anyone else who is not named Deanna and Maxime, can land great throws... and have had much better presentation than the other teams. However, this season, we haven't seen them as they had to pull out from both their assignments... Thierry has shared on his instagram, clips of him doing 3flip and 3loop jumps... so that says it all. Hopefully they are back in business because that was their year to go to worlds... Sigh.. Proft and Nadeau are to me more promising than Laurin and Éthier but the latter have all their triples... including a 3loop SBS... and their tech minimums... things not quite acquired by the former.

Finally, if it seems logical for us (perhaps except for pairs where there is more than one straight forward scenario) Skate Canada is legendary for surprising us... I don't want to jinx anyone but apart teams going to GPF (and JGPF) I wouldn't assume the others are going to Worlds unless they skate well at Nationals.

rain

Record Breaker
I personally don't see how McIntosh/Mimar don't get a spot considering they did decently well in the Grand Prix circuit and also the fact that we have 3 spots...I don't think both Pereira/Michaud AND Laurin/Éthier eclipsing them...as for the men, I would think Messing would for sure get a spot because he has been reliable for the past few years and also the fact we have 2 spots, I don't see how both Sadovsky AND Gogolev eclipsing him...
I think it's most likely that McIntosh and Mimar get a spot, but if they really falter and the other two teams skate barnburners....Pereira/Michaud are the really big question marks.

I don't think Keegan's as much a lock as he had been in previous seasons. He has very noticeably underperformed this fall. There was always a sense in the past that even if he didn't skate brilliantly, he likely wouldn't tank too badly. But that feeling is not there this year. Notably, it was actually Roman who placed better at worlds last season, so that's not an argument. I think nationals is going to be really key for the men. I can really see Skate Canada opting for something new if someone looks particularly good. If things are up in the air, I can see them sending everyone to Four Continents with winner takes all.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I think it's most likely that McIntosh and Mimar get a spot, but if they really falter and the other two teams skate barnburners....Pereira/Michaud are the really big question marks.

I don't think Keegan's as much a lock as he had been in previous seasons. He has very noticeably underperformed this fall. There was always a sense in the past that even if he didn't skate brilliantly, he likely wouldn't tank too badly. But that feeling is not there this year. Notably, it was actually Roman who placed better at worlds last season, so that's not an argument. I think nationals is going to be really key for the men. I can really see Skate Canada opting for something new if someone looks particularly good. If things are up in the air, I can see them sending everyone to Four Continents with winner takes all.

I just don't see a world where where McIntosh/Mimar would falter so badly that both of the other teams would be considered more reliable, but like you said...that chance is slim at best anyways...

While I don't think Keegan is a "lock" per se, I'm also not seeing a world where both Roman and Gogolev would be considered more reliable than him...but maybe that's just me...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just don't see a world where where McIntosh/Mimar would falter so badly that both of the other teams would be considered more reliable, but like you said...that chance is slim at best anyways...

While I don't think Keegan is a "lock" per se, I'm also not seeing a world where both Roman and Gogolev would be considered more reliable than him...but maybe that's just me...
I can see a world where both Chiu and Gogolev do better at Nationals than Roman and Keegan... will that mean them being sent? Not necessarily but I am deeply unimpressed with Keegan and Roman this season so far... The ONLY reason why I could see Skate Canada sending Roman and Keegan at worlds this year, despite not doing well at Nationals (if that happened) is that they have the most experience and the Fed may think that it is needed to qualify 2 men at worlds next year in Montreal.... pretty much just like the USA is hoping to send Jason Brown to make sure the USA qualify 3 men.. (with Malinin)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can’t remember when the last time we didn’t have 3 worlds spots for dance,
2009/10 season. Virtue/Moir and Crone/Poirier then got three spots at the post-Olympic Worlds, and we kept them through to Montpellier, where we lost them due to an unfortunate confluence of circumstances.

Sackie

Medalist
In Men's at Nationals I really think both Keegan and Roman will have to place in the top 2 to get sent. Keegan has stated that this is his last year and Roman can't be far away from retiring either. And if they don't deliver at Nationals it might be best to send Chiu or Gogolev if either beat them just to establish either as the future of men's skating in Canada. If Keegan and Roman do not place 1 & 2 - I can see Skate Canada sending the highest of these two as well as the highest of the young ones. Have to be realistic and know that Canada has no shot of getting 3 men spots and it is slim that we can keep 2.
I remember the year Josee qualified for the GPF and even went on to win the bronze there, yet she was off at Nationals (due to an injury) and Jennifer won. Skate Canada still sent Jennifer. Thus ending Josee's come back. Similar thing happened to Buttle one year when he was sick but still skated and lost a trip to worlds even though he too had qualified for the GPF and even went on to win 4CC beating the two CAN men going to worlds.
Also wonder if those that are expected to qualify for worlds don't, Skate Canada may have a skate off at 4CC. It wouldn't be the first time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not sending Josée didn't turn out to be a good idea though :) but yeah... I agree... Keegan and Roman didn't do enough this fall to get a spot on the world team, unless they place top 2 at Nationals.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Not sending Josée didn't turn out to be a good idea though :) but yeah... I agree... Keegan and Roman didn't do enough this fall to get a spot on the world team, unless they place top 2 at Nationals.

I just personally don’t see guys like Wesley and Stephen beating Keegan for a top 2 finish…they too were in the Grand Prix circuit and pretty much “bombed” badly in comparison to Keegan even though Keegan was not so good himself…they haven’t shown anything yet that makes me think they are ready for the World championships…I know Roman doesn’t do too well either in the international circuit either, but he usually does well at home…I just don’t see it…

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just personally don’t see guys like Wesley and Stephen beating Keegan for a top 2 finish…they too were in the Grand Prix circuit and pretty much “bombed” badly in comparison to Keegan even though Keegan was not so good himself…they haven’t shown anything yet that makes me think they are ready for the World championships…I know Roman doesn’t do too well either in the international circuit either, but he usually does well at home…I just don’t see it…
i think that's a correct assessment... All our men are underperfoming. What I am saying is not that Gogo or Chiu will definitely beat Roman and Keegan... These two have a PCS advantage to start with... What I am saying is that if ever they did, I wouldn't be opposed to the decision by Skate Canada to send one of the young guns to worlds because honestly, the veterans have given us nothing to cheer on this fall.... We gotta prepare the future... I'd rather have ONE man at worlds in Montreal who does represent well than two who won' t qualify for the free skate... so, in my opinion, it wouldn't be a bad thing to give the experience to a high finisher at Nationals, who is not named Keegan or Roman :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Keegan skates like he did in Skate Canada (250.72), or even Nebelhorn (245.74), then no they won't beat him. If he skates like he did in Finland (205.02), one or both of them absolutely could. Both have stronger scores than 205 this season. Doesn't mean they will, but it's a possibility for sure. Stephen hasn't scored as low as 205 this season (his worst score was a 208.43 at the US Classic). Like I'm not going to predict it, but it definitely could happen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If Keegan skates like he did in Skate Canada (250.72), or even Nebelhorn (245.74), then no they won't beat him. If he skates like he did in Finland (205.02), one or both of them absolutely could. Both have stronger scores than 205 this season. Doesn't mean they will, but it's a possibility for sure. Stephen hasn't scored as low as 205 this season (his worst score was a 208.43 at the US Classic). Like I'm not going to predict it, but it definitely could happen.
Conrad is capable of scoring over 205.. . Bennet Toman probably also could... 205 is low. That's why I am not too supportive about the idea of simply sending Roman and Keegan... Nope... they gotta earn it at Nationals... because they didn't earn it this fall.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I enjoy watching CAN Nationals a lot. For me, it is the excitement of whether or not an athlete breaks through. The predictions are what I would go with. But, there are also spots on the line for 4CC and Junior Worlds on the line and those spots are what intrigues me the most.

I wonder if Lia and Trennt will perform at the Challenger event starting tmrw? 🤔
Some of the Junior Grand Prix finalists from Canada in Pairs will use this event as a practice
Also, will Lia also skate in the Senior Ladies portion? I’m intrigued to find out

kenboy123

On the Ice
Conrad is capable of scoring over 205.. . Bennet Toman probably also could... 205 is low. That's why I am not too supportive about the idea of simply sending Roman and Keegan... Nope... they gotta earn it at Nationals... because they didn't earn it this fall.

Maybe I’m just a little different…but I rather send the older guys because I would rather try to attempt to keep the spots we already have…I don’t really have any faith in the young guys as none of them have shown they have the potential to have international success, our younger guys tend to bomb on the international stage no matter who they are and it’s been like that for awhile…Gogolev has never really been the definition of consistency

Im seeing more potential in the women’s…Schizas is starting to become a little more consistent now and Canadian women usually peak later anyways….she may never medal, but she can be a regular top 10 international level skater if everything goes well…but I’m rather intrigued about what Kaiya Ruiter could do in the future…tends of potential and I believe if she wasn’t injured and went to the junior worlds last year, she probably would have medaled…

As for pairs and dance, we always have good ones …

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I enjoy watching CAN Nationals a lot. For me, it is the excitement of whether or not an athlete breaks through. The predictions are what I would go with. But, there are also spots on the line for 4CC and Junior Worlds on the line and those spots are what intrigues me the most.

I wonder if Lia and Trennt will perform at the Challenger event starting tmrw? 🤔
Some of the Junior Grand Prix finalists from Canada in Pairs will use this event as a practice
Also, will Lia also skate in the Senior Ladies portion? I’m intrigued to find out
entries are here: https://skatecanada.ca/2023-skate-canada-challenge-junior-senior/#starting-orders--results
and there is the thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/2022-2023-skate-canada-challenge-seniors.94083/

So, yes, Lia in Seniors and there's four Junoir Pairs listed

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have to imagine they're not going and withdrawal will be announced on the day, given that they're supposed to be in Zagreb the week after.
But, Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov are competing and also have their GP Junior Finals Event next week. So, there is a chance. The Pairs event is early on in the week and they have a week for travel and preparations.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe I’m just a little different…but I rather send the older guys because I would rather try to attempt to keep the spots we already have…I don’t really have any faith in the young guys as none of them have shown they have the potential to have international success, our younger guys tend to bomb on the international stage no matter who they are and it’s been like that for awhile…Gogolev has never really been the definition of consistency

Im seeing more potential in the women’s…Schizas is starting to become a little more consistent now and Canadian women usually peak later anyways….she may never medal, but she can be a regular top 10 international level skater if everything goes well…but I’m rather intrigued about what Kaiya Ruiter could do in the future…tends of potential and I believe if she wasn’t injured and went to the junior worlds last year, she probably would have medaled…

As for pairs and dance, we always good ones …
well.. there is no guarantee with low 200 scores that our veterans will retain those two spots....
and then, there will be enormous pressure, like what Maddie is dealing with, to get a top 10 to qualify a second man in the future...
It's NOT good really when your veteran skate the way they have..

I think I should clarify : I think our two veterans have mileage and they should be better... but my issue comes when the young guys are said to be not so reliable or inconsistent... Well, give them a chance to become consistent right? They are not given nearly enough opportunities to develop...

Look at Chiu : He trains with Liam Kapeikis from the USA... Liam has been everywhere this year... he doesn't even have the same potential as Chiu (though I appreciate his skating)... but he's been sent more regularly...and even won a Challenger recently...

This is what I am saying... Send the young guys, drill consistency into them... If the USA had decided not to send him after his Skate America 7th place and 8th place at Nebelhorn, he would have not been able to win Ice Challenge... and we are talking here about someone who placed lower than Chiu and Gogo at junior worlds last year and only placed 7th at his own Nationals...

Can anyone tell me what kind of opportunities our 7th ranked guy at National would get... (Jack) ?

In other words, we may feel there are a few more options if more guys were sent out and did manage to improve and perform better... I feel Conrad is getting better each time... give him a break... Corey was a disaster at Sheffield... he was top 5 at nationals... We should expect our top 5 to be competitive.

Last edited:

Reverie

On the Ice

As for pairs and dance, we always good ones …

While I wish our Canadian junior lades would have a chance to medal, it's a longshot. The number of triple axels being performed by the Japanese and the Korean junior ladies, makes it look like a more difficult field than the senior women field.
Kudos to Kaiya for persevering through what sounds like a major leg injury from this video clip on local CTV news.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While I wish our Canadian junior lades would have a chance to medal, it's a longshot. The number of triple axels being performed by the Japanese and the Korean junior ladies, makes it look like a more difficult field than the senior women field.
Kudos to Kaiya for persevering through what sounds like a major leg injury from this video clip on local CTV news.

Love Kaiya! She is someone who authentically loves to skate. Rooting for her to do well at the Challenge event.

Status
Not open for further replies.