Explanation of the LAST SIX TO SKATE | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Explanation of the LAST SIX TO SKATE

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I'd really be surprised if that happens. The errors Kwan tends to make are singling/doubling/popping jumps rather than falling on them (from what I've seen).

P.S. Are you guys just trying to tempt the "skate gods" with all this negativity? :p

that's why I was saying it would be something NEW... playing on what I and others normally say about Kwan... "same thing year in year out"

I hope I am not tempting fate ;)

gkelly. Interesting your post on the 1997 Nats. For whatever reasons I do not remember that competition. I did not see it live and I am thinking it is one of my bad tape set-up days. Hmmm, Bobek was all powerful in those days. Wasn't she?

Piel - Can you imagine ABC preempting Desperate Housewives for Ladies figure skating?

mememem - Thanks for the recall. I am approaching early onset senility, and I could not imagine 3 hours of Ladies figure skating with much splats except for one or two. It's as I thought, the last six to skate despite the three hours. If it's actuallyLIVE it will have to start around 7pm (6pm Central) which is the time my ticket reads.

How all this fits in with a LIVE showing of Mens is another matter. Hard to believe ABC will allot time from 4pm to 11pm for figure skating.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel - Can you imagine ABC preempting Desperate Housewives for Ladies figure skating?

That Housewives show is on Sunday BTW (unless they changed it recently- and I don't watch that show). The skating is scheduled for Saturday.

I thought skating was 4-6 for Mens and 8-11 for Ladies/Pairs.

But it's an Olympic year, so I wouldn't rule out them showing more skaters and/or live coverage than usual.

Red Dog said:
That Housewives show is on Sunday BTW (unless they changed it recently- and I don't watch that show). The skating is scheduled for Saturday.
Did you really think I meant that literally? Lighten up RD.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
ABC seems to be following the standard schedule. Shorts for Men & Ladies and all Pairs and Dance on ESPN2 for Thursday and Friday. On Saturday, 1/2 of the schedule time slots will be highlights from Thurs/Fri and the last hour of each showtime will be the top 6 men in the afternoon and ladies in the evening.

Whoever said they aired the top 12 ladies once is correct. I vaguely recall it being either 1995 or 1996 because ratings were so high. I'm leaning towards 1996 because I remember eagerly awaiting Michelle's skate and having to force one of my friends to leave before her skate. Skaters 7 through 12 had really splatted a lot and he was making rude comments and laughing loud - my brother was egging him on. So, I had to throw him out so I could watch in peace.:biggrin:

heyang said:
ABC seems to be following the standard schedule. Shorts for Men & Ladies and all Pairs and Dance on ESPN2 for Thursday and Friday. On Saturday, 1/2 of the schedule time slots will be highlights from Thurs/Fri and the last hour of each showtime will be the top 6 men in the afternoon and ladies in the evening.

Whoever said they aired the top 12 ladies once is correct. I vaguely recall it being either 1995 or 1996 because ratings were so high. I'm leaning towards 1996 because I remember eagerly awaiting Michelle's skate and having to force one of my friends to leave before her skate. Skaters 7 through 12 had really splatted a lot and he was making rude comments and laughing loud - my brother was egging him on. So, I had to throw him out so I could watch in peace.:biggrin:

I don't think anyone is questioning the time slots of ABC's showings. It's a question of when the LIVE showing actually takes place. I think the Ladies (last six to skate) will begin at 8pm EST. If they show any tapes of Pairs and Dance that night, it will have to be after 9pm the earliest. How much interest that will hold for Televiewers until 11pm is not clear.

Showing two flights of skaters as gkelly pointed out happened in the past when figure skating was more popular, and apparently, as heyang has pointed out was not received well by the general audience.

Let's see the Men's Division begins in earnest at 2pm (EST) so Healther's 4pm LIVE schedule of the final six to skate should do it.

The Ladies Division begins in earnest at 7pm (EST). There should be 3 flights. Heather's 8pm may show some previous skating before the actual final six to skate begins.

Time will tell.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the Ladies (last six to skate) will begin at 8pm EST. If they show any tapes of Pairs and Dance that night, it will have to be after 9pm the earliest.

Traditionally it went like this:

1st hour: Recap of Ladies' SPs

2nd hour: Pairs Free

3rd hour: Ladies Free Live

Seems like it might be the same this year.

Is the pairs free being shown on ESPN/ESPN2? It wouldn't make sense to me just to show the Ladies' Free programs. The broadcast wouldn't be "complete" without showing the SPs first.

Didn't someone else say earlier that there was a new director in charge of ABC's figure skating coverage? remember when they showed more ladies at the Campbell's broadcast? Who knows. They may chack that second hour of pairs and use that either to show ice dance (remember Belbin/Agosto) or more ladies.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I would rather see more skaters than to see the SP repeated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I would rather see more skaters than to see the SP repeated.

Proving my point- skating fans tend to be well off, and therefore a HUGE number of them already get cable coverage and even internet videos. But if you're broadcasting on Network TV, may as well show the whole thing (SP and FS) for those without cable access. JMO

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
:banging: :banging: :banging: I forget about the cable issue. I consider cable/Direct TV an entertainment expense since we don't get any of the ice shows around here (except the Disney Princesses this week, LOL).