Kwan WD's from Nat. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan WD's from Nat.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sorry for the news & wishing Michele a good healing period. However....BINGO! My prediction #1 comes true. (MK to withdraw)

Now let's wait to see my prediction #2 come true: Michelle becomes part of the ABC commentating team!!!! [Remember...sponsors, ratings for Saturday night, etc, etc.]

Oh...and let's not forget prediction #3: Michelle will be named to the team (although I couldn't disagree with that; we want the strongest team possible & a healthy Michele *is* very strong).

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Do they have alternates from sectionals who will compete at Nationals in her place?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Do they have alternates from sectionals who will compete at Nationals in her place?
No, skaters with a bye to Nationals like Kwan are not replaced when they withdraw.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Sad for her.
Here is hope she fully recovers from both injuries and get ready to be tested for Olympics.

Peggy

On the Ice
I fully expected this after seeing her at Marshalls. She looked out of shape then and after there were no judges, I knew there was something up. All you hear about Marshalls is that Michelle won which I think was staged for Michelle's benefit.

Its all about money folks. Its not how good a skater is-its about popularity and the fans so the most popular will always bring the money in no matter what.

I wouldn't think this if Marshalls would have been a normal competition. I do not think Michelle would have showed up in the shape she was in if it wasn't for a sure win and I'm disappointed in figure skating for the first time in the 40 years I've been watching it.

I'll be very surprised if Michelle shows up at the Olympics to compete. I hope I'm wrong.

Disappointed In Skating, Fan:frown:

kyla2

Final Flight
Imo

If anyone deserves a "bye" for the Olympics it is Michelle Kwan. She has absolutely paid her dues to the sport, the AFSA, and ISU. I have said all along she has been significantly injured and this is further proof. I sure hope she can show up at the Olympics, but I just don't know if it will happen. Groin injuries are also difficult to deal with and can take quite some time to heal. One wonders if the hip injury didn't play a part in the groin injury.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
If anyone deserves a "bye" for the Olympics it is Michelle Kwan. She has absolutely paid her dues to the sport, the AFSA, and ISU. I have said all along she has been significantly injured and this is further proof. I sure hope she can show up at the Olympics, but I just don't know if it will happen. Groin injuries are also difficult to deal with and can take quite some time to heal. One wonders if the hip injury didn't play a part in the groin injury.

according to the press conference the injury is unrelated to the earlier injury
http://www.skatetoday.com/06usnats/index.php

emma

Record Breaker
I'm soooooo sorry to hear this...US nationals without the Kween makes me sad. I also do feel bad for Sasha because it puts her in that position that if she wins, "she won because Kwan was there." I put this in quotes because I don't feel that way, I'm just talking about the inevitable talk. But back to Michelle, I wish her a speedy and full recovery, and do hope she is successful in her petition for the Olympics. I do feel that NOT only has she paid her dues, she has proven herself to be a top competitor time and time again.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Peggy said:
I fully expected this after seeing her at Marshalls. She looked out of shape then and after there were no judges, I knew there was something up. All you hear about Marshalls is that Michelle won which I think was staged for Michelle's benefit.

Its all about money folks. Its not how good a skater is-its about popularity and the fans so the most popular will always bring the money in no matter what.

I wouldn't think this if Marshalls would have been a normal competition. I do not think Michelle would have showed up in the shape she was in if it wasn't for a sure win and I'm disappointed in figure skating for the first time in the 40 years I've been watching it.

I'll be very surprised if Michelle shows up at the Olympics to compete. I hope I'm wrong.

Disappointed In Skating, Fan:frown:

If Marshall's had been set up for Kwan I don't think all three of the "judges" would have been 100% wrong in their choices in both the mens and the ladies. I know that I voted for her..twice (it's legal in WV they even give you a little bottle of whiskey to thank you;) )

I think Kwan is tough enough to take not winning.

Are you disppointed with FS because of Marshall's, because Kwan might recieve a bye, or because Kwan is injured?:scratch:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
But nobody has answered my question: Will ABC add Michelle to their commentating team for Nationals? My gut feeling is 'You bet they will!' ;)

mememe

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
But nobody has answered my question: Will ABC add Michelle to their commentating team for Nationals? My gut feeling is 'You bet they will!' ;)

A quote from her press conference in one of the articles I read said that she would watch nationals on TV from her home in California and and "cheer on my friends" while continuing her rehab. So, unless ABC makes her an offer she can't refuse (and I have no idea what kind of contracts she may have with ABC/Disney), she will wisely stay home and work on getting better rather than spend several hours in a plane to and from St. Louis and then jammed in a broadcast booth.

But, who knows. ABC may want her badly enough to make sure it gets her -- or they very well may do a "remote" from her home, where they are able to talk to her between performances, etc. I'm sure they'd love to have her as part of the broadcast (and I assume she will be, if nothing more than a tape comment -- they will HAVE to explain her absense and they will for sure try, and I would assume succeed, to get her for some comments to use in their feature about her.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I was sort of expecting this. I would hope that the USFSA will send the top skaters to the Olympics. I don't feel Michelle should recieive a "bye" just because she has "paid her dues" what ever that means.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I would rather she spend the time preparing for Turino resting, rehabing whatever it takes. It would be cool to see her actually present the winner with the medal....kind of a passing of the torch. She has certainly earned the right.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Piel said:
It would be cool to see her actually present the winner with the medal....kind of a passing of the torch....QUOTE]

Great idea, Piel. I'd love that, too. It would be very emotional.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
I was sort of expecting this. I would hope that the USFSA will send the top skaters to the Olympics. I don't feel Michelle should recieive a "bye" just because she has "paid her dues" what ever that means.

I agree... even if she gets a USFSA panel so swear that her programs are the most CoP friendly ever that doesn't mean the International judges will agree :indiff: we just don't know if she'll make that strong showing/placement that will be expected of her (by the media and casual fans)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
I.... we just don't know if she'll make that strong showing/placement that will be expected of her (by the media and casual fans)

Correct, Tonichelle! But now this leads to me my old pet subject: ADVERTI$ERS! How sad if Michele will be 'nudged' (not to write 'pushed') into going through the Torino experience just to honor commitments to NBC and the Olympic telecast sponsors, such as Coke & all the rest. The miracle is that she got to sit-out Nationals, given her current health status! In 2006, we simply cannot divorce the influence of Madison Avenue on sport. Sad but true. As if poor Michele needs any additional pressure...grrrrr......:disapp:

Red Dog said:
WHAT?
Well, too bad...but I'm confident she'll get that spot on the Oly team. Only the Top Two at Nats will get an Oly spot
RD - If you intend to learn the rules of figure skating, I would suggest you glean your information from poster who know the rules.

Joe

One thing I am hoping for is that if they give her the bye and she starts practicing again that she does not suffer a relapse. If she does suffer a relapse, I hope she notifies the USFS before the deadline so another skater can go in her place.

I hate thinking things like this but what's a former administrator to do?

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
Well, if I was the one choosing the U.S. Olympic team, this recent news would make me think long and hard before putting Kwan on the team. Another injury like this? Not good. Not even sure there's time now for her to heal properly before the Olympics, let alone be in any kind of competitive shape. She has not competed all season long (I do not count cheesefests as real competitions) and now to not even have nationals under her belt? Great and experienced as Kwan is, I have serious doubts about any skater being able to have a great event if it is the first one they've skated in in a year.

I think the U.S. would almost be better at this point to send other skaters - and there are other good ones to send.

mandykane21

Rinkside
I hate that she's injured, but I think she'll get the bye. In the press confrence she made a point to mention several times that her groin injury is much better, as did the doctor. I think she knows they'll be worried about the injury thing and she wants to make perfectly clear that she dosen't think that will be a problem. As for her 'paying her dues', she's been the most reliable skater in the past ten years, they are gonna take that into consideration whether people want then to or not. Plus, I thought someone had to go out and see her before they decide whether or not to give her the bye. Wasn't there some rule about showing readiness?