Kwan WD's from Nat. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kwan WD's from Nat.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
No one is mentioning what the Kwan fan base will do if she disappears from the scene now. For whatever reasons the fans who do not like Kwan are not overly affected by this news. Their interests lie elsewhere. But the Kwanfans do not want the sun to set on their Star. However, this is possible. They should not rule it out.

Will the Kwanfans take much interest in seeing Cohen win the Nationals? No, most of those fans are quite realistic and if Kwan is not skating there is no way she can win. Obvious. but I think whoever wins, the Kwan fans will not care. I don't think there will be much antagonism towards the new champ by the Kwanfans. Reaslistically, someone has to win.

Will the Kwanfans be upset if she does not get a bye to the Olys? Obviously, of course! Some fans who do not like Kwan will be delighted. Others will feel sorry but not to the extent that the Olys will be lacking a star athlete. Their interests lie elsewhere. However, I feel the Kwanfans will watch the Olys with little interest in who wins but will be happy to congratulate the winner if the skater is deserving.

What happens to the Kwan base after the Olys? It'll be as strong as it was after the 98 Olys, 02 Olys and the 06 Olys. That doesn't change. But, individually, I think some will pick up on a new star not necessarily one in the present scene; others will hibernate from figure skating for a number of years; and still others will move right along with the tide, but the will always remember her as special.

Joe

Right on, Joe.
For a lot of Kwan fans, they just love her no matter what. And some show their love and support during the difficult time. That's called 'LOVE'. Just yesterday, a lot of new MKFers came out of their lurkdom posted on MKF. That's a fan, that's love.

rain

Record Breaker
cianni said:
I think your ques. are right on. I have no interest in Nats. Sasha will win by default and not be liget in my eyes. She has no competition and even with a meltdown they will gift her.

I must completely disagree with this comment. Cohen had an extremely good chance of winning the national title even had Kwan skated. She has been looking far better than Kwan so far this season. Personally, I think Kwan was the underdog in the national's scenario. I could have seen her finishing third, or even off the podium given the kind of skates some of the other young skaters are capable of. Cohen, should she win, will deserve her title every bit as much as if Kwan had skated and it is extremely unfair to suggest otherwise. There's no need to put down another, very good skater, just because Kwan is unfortunately uable to compete.
I have to say, I'm Canadian, and the fact that at our upcoming nationals Joannie Rochette is virtually a lock for the gold and has realistically little to no competition, doesn't negate her win any more than Cohen skating in a field of competitors who aren't as strong as she is would negate hers. Another point - Czisny and Meissner are nothing to sneeze at competition-wise.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Right on, Joe.
For a lot of Kwan fans, they just love her no matter what. And some show their love and support during the difficult time. That's called 'LOVE'. Just yesterday, a lot of new MKFers came out of their lurkdom posted on MKF. That's a fan, that's love.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And why is that LOVE so awful in the eyes of fans of other skaters?

My husband has said for the past three years that he admires the fans of Sasha because they are solid regardless of her results and that its easy to be a fan of Kwan because she's so dominate and that he hopes Kwan's fans are as hardcore when the chips are down... Yesterday he had to admit he was wrong about "Kwan Nation" and also about how wrong in his prediction that USC was gonna kick Texas' butt ~ however that's somethig totally different!;)

(at least I had one thing to be happy about yesterday...)

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Right on, Joe.

I have no problem with Michelle's fans loving her(but some of you guys are obsessed). Honestly, she's only a figure skater, and we all know how much she is LOVED by her fans, but you expect the fans of skaters and figure skating to sit back and let some of you guys malign the other skaters that are still able to skate. Some of the comments about Sasha on another thread are unbelievable, that's hate.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The only way there would have been any chance of not giving Kwan the bye is if they had 4 legit medal contenders(including Kwan)for Turin, and they felt it would be unfair to bump one off for somebody who did not compete, even if it is Kwan. That is not the case however. Csizny had some very promising results in the GP events, in somewhat weakish fields, but then proved with her showing at the GP final, in a field still missing several big names, she is not a medal contender for Turin, she is still having a great year, and has a bright future, but is no medal hope this year at all. Meissner showed with her showing at the GP event she is no medal hope for Turin either. So Kwan will have no problem getting the bye.

Enero

On the Ice
havanamesa1 said:
It would be interesting to see her award the gold medal to...Alyssa, Kimmie, Bebe, or Emily. ;)

PLEEEEAZ! :rolleye: Nationals is not the Miss America pageant. And Michelle has yet to declare that she's retiring. She may be back next year.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
I have no problem with Michelle's fans loving her(but some of you guys are obsessed). Honestly, she's only a figure skater, and we all know how much she is LOVED by her fans, but you expect the fans of skaters and figure skating to sit back and let some of you guys malign the other skaters that are still able to skate. Some of the comments about Sasha on another thread are unbelievable, that's hate.
Well, I like Sasha's skating as well. What I posted there was just what I heard. Nothing more nothing less. I wouldn't call it hate. The Nationals this time is hers to lost....As I posted in another thread, she is too talented to not winning one or two majore titles (Nationals, Worlds, and Olympics). What's the hate about it? Read some of your posts regarding Kwan, and the poster who wished ill on Kwan in another thread, while you backed her up. What you call these posts?

eliza88

On the Ice
Wishing for a completely healed Michelle ready to explode with jumps, passion, artistry, and a kick butt attitude at the Olympic games! I am very ready to see yet another "once in a lifetime" performance from her! (fingers and toes are crossed!)

eliza88

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Well, I like Sasha's skating as well. What I posted there was just what I heard. Nothing more nothing less. I wouldn't call it hate. The Nationals this time is hers to lost....As I posted in another thread, she is too talented to not winning one or two majore titles (Nationals, Worlds, and Olympics). What's the hate about it? Read some of your posts regarding Kwan, and the poster who wished ill on Kwan in another thread, while you backed her up. What you call these posts?

If you have been reading my latest posts, you should conclude that i do not wish ill thoughts on Michelle. I am disapointed that she is not skating at Nationals due to her injury. I would have loved to see all the top ladies skating and in good health. It doesn't matter to me who comes first or second. If I have backed anyone up, it wasn't about Michelle, it's about what her fans say about other skaters. I wish Canada had as many tallented skaters as the U.S. going into the Olympics. You should be proud of all your skaters, after all , they may be representing your country at the Olympics. Will you be rooting for a skater from another country to win if Michelle is not healthy enough to skate.

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
If you have been reading my latest posts, you should conclude that i do not wish ill thoughts on Michelle.
But you were cheering the poster/posts which wished Michelle fall in her programs and get out the rink by emergency personels, late the poster was said to be only 17. Were you 17 yourself?

I hate this :rofl: (although I occationally use it myself) it looked so childish. :laugh:

btw, I wish the best skaters represent the US. But I only root for those skaters whose skating I like and consider good skate to win. If no perticula skater's skate that I like in a dicipline, I then root for whoever from US.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:
If I have backed anyone up, it wasn't about Michelle, it's about what her fans say about other skaters. I wish Canada had as many tallented skaters as the U.S. going into the Olympics. You should be proud of all your skaters, after all , they may be representing your country at the Olympics. Will you be rooting for a skater from another country to win if Michelle is not healthy enough to skate.

But doesn't this arguement cut both ways? Why are Kwan fans protrayed as obsessive groupies? Last time I checked, Irina & Sasha fans are just as passionate & quick to whip out a can of whup a** if there is the slightest mention that their fav isn't the best thing since sliced wonderbread... But whatever ~ everyone is a fan in their own way...

As for rooting for someone else if Kwan isn't healthy enough to skate... to be honest, I won't be rooting for another American skater. Not because I dislike or deem Sasha & Co. unworthy but because I prefer Irina & DivaKwara ~ nothing personal just preference.

Enero

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
Why are Kwan fans protrayed as obsessive groupies?

I think because when someone criticizes the Kweeen they come out in swarms, viciously attacking the poster. And don't let Michelle have serious competition from a fellow American skater, that poor skater will get crucified ala...Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes. Sometimes I don't know if it's fear, that another skater will become just as popular or more popular than Kwan in the skating community (which isn't possible at this point) or jealously that another American skater can actually do better and be better than Kwan, but sometimes it can be down right scary and sad. JMHO.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
The only way there would have been any chance of not giving Kwan the bye is if they had 4 legit medal contenders(including Kwan)for Turin, and they felt it would be unfair to bump one off for somebody who did not compete, even if it is Kwan. That is not the case however. Csizny had some very promising results in the GP events, in somewhat weakish fields, but then proved with her showing at the GP final, in a field still missing several big names, she is not a medal contender for Turin, she is still having a great year, and has a bright future, but is no medal hope this year at all. Meissner showed with her showing at the GP event she is no medal hope for Turin either. So Kwan will have no problem getting the bye.

My thoughts exactly, slutskayafan. If this was a Nats field like the one we could have CONCEIVABLY had in 1992, with Yamaguchi, Harding, Kerrigan PLUS Jill Trenary and Holly Cook (who were supposed to be there but weren't due to injuries), it might be a different story.

Unfortunately for Sasha, if she wins, there's going to be an invisible asterisk next to her name on the champions list (*Kwan was injured) in the minds of many people, which is unfortunate, because there's a fair to good chance that she might have won it anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joe, millie- ITA. Right on.

But doesn't this arguement cut both ways? Why are Kwan fans protrayed as obsessive groupies?

Because of NUMBERS. Face it, there are FAR more obsessive Kwan fans than there are obsessive Cohen fans, Irina fans, etc. at least on the forums.
Last time I checked, Irina & Sasha fans are just as passionate & quick to whip out a can of whup a** if there is the slightest mention that their fav isn't the best thing since sliced wonderbread... But whatever ~ everyone is a fan in their own way...

And you're right. I had to deal with an uber-Sasha fan recently, so I can definitely support that claim with evidence.

But you were cheering the poster/posts which wished Michelle fall in her programs and get out the rink by emergency personels, late the poster was said to be only 17. Were you 17 yourself?

I hate this (although I occationally use it myself) it looked so childish.

Why don't people just chill out? It's the past! Who cares?

I think because when someone criticizes the Kweeen they come out in swarms, viciously attacking the poster. And don't let Michelle have serious competition from a fellow American skater, that poor skater will get crucified ala...Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes. Sometimes I don't know if it's fear, that another skater will become just as popular or more popular than Kwan in the skating community (which isn't possible at this point) or jealously that another American skater can actually do better and be better than Kwan, but sometimes it can be down right scary and sad. JMHO.

ITA- and this thread says it all. Although I did say myself that Nats would be less interesting for me (without Kwan) because of the lack of real competition, the relentless dismissing of the competition by certain Kwan fans, and Cohen winning being worth "less" (or "tainted") because Kwan's not there, etc. is just getting to be TOO much. Kwan is a person, not Superman. JMO

Linny

Final Flight
No invisible asterisk

There will be no invisible asterisk next to whomever wins Nationals. Gracious. Is there an invisible asterisk next to Kurt Browning's name because he never won an Oly medal? How about Sarah Hughes - she won the Oly gold but did not win Nationals - see any invisible asterisk? What about Mike Weiss - he won a National Championship because he screwed up slightly less than the others in the field that day - see an invisible asterisk? Caryn Kadavy sat out her Olympic experience with the flu. Think she carries the invisible asterisk?

Tsk tsk.

Perhaps without MK there, the other skaters will place their hearts firmly on their sleeves and skate the kind of performances that touch all who witness.

Linny

K-Mo

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Unfortunately for Sasha, if she wins, there's going to be an invisible asterisk next to her name on the champions list (*Kwan was injured) in the minds of many people, which is unfortunate, because there's a fair to good chance that she might have won it anyway.

I'm sure Sasha will win, and she does deserve a win. However, I will feel like there is an invisible asterik next to her name if she does not skate 2 clean programs. She has been so close for so long, and wouldn't her win seem so much more special if she pulled out all the stops and skated clean? It would be her "once in a lifetime" Nationals moment.

euterpe

Medalist
I agree with the above. If Sasha can't win Nationals by beating Kwan, let her win it at least by turning in two clean performances. That would make it memorable for Sasha as well as for her fans, the audience and the US media.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Sasha admitted in an interview that the past couple years with her frustrations at Nationals just sometimes thought of Michelle "Why doesn't she retire already!!"

I don't think there will be an asterisk, just speculation as to whether this year Sasha would have beat MK at US Nationals, and I think she would have done it this year anyway. MK was not great at Marshall's