Gush, gush, gush over new American pairs champions | Golden Skate

Gush, gush, gush over new American pairs champions

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Castile and Okolski, I still can't pronounce their name, but watch their brilliant performance at Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMRNr1s8pSA

Gush, gush, gush.... They have so much speed, flow and big trick items - 3twist can match Chinese team's; throws are so high and the landing speed is outstanding. Their matching line is also excellent.

If they can get sbs triples, they definitely have the goods to compete against the best in the worlds over the next few years.

Since the upcoming 4cc is a battle between Canada and U.S.(China is not sending top pairs), I predict this pair will definitely medal. Their overall skating skills and consistency in throws are better than all other current north american pairs including the much hyped D&D from Canada(I don't really like D&D, they are slow and some of their elements are shaky, all they have is l'ook'). Due to the notorious rule of pecking order in pairs, I don't think this new American pair will grab gold medal at 4cc though. But you never know!!!

Your opinion?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved them last year and am over the moon for them now...

AFAIK they have the 3 sbs jumps, but because of her injury earlier in the season they 'played it safe'

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I loved them last year and am over the moon for them now...

AFAIK they have the 3 sbs jumps, but because of her injury earlier in the season they 'played it safe'

I hope they can get 4cc gold medals!! but won't get my hope high due to the notorious pecking order in pairs!!

They are definitely better than the D&D, I'm sick of the hype over that pair. They are so slow.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I hope they can get 4cc gold medals!! but won't get my hope high due to the notorious pecking order in pairs!!

They are definitely better than the D&D, I'm sick of the hype over that pair. They are so slow.

Who is D/D?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Who is D/D?

The much hyped, new Canadian champions who have pretty faces. Can't remember their full name. They were in 7th place at last year's worlds.

They have no speed, a lot of their elements are shaky, they are hyped to be the next S&P or even G&G. In reality, they don't have any goods but pretty faces. I dislike them.

blue dog

Record Breaker
The much hyped, new Canadian champions who have pretty faces. Can't remember their full name. They were in 7th place at last year's worlds.

They have no speed, a lot of their elements are shaky, they are hyped to be the next S&P or even G&G. In reality, they don't have any goods but pretty faces. I dislike them.

Oh! Dube and Davison?! The former jr world champs?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Oh! Dube and Davison?! The former jr world champs?

Yup, hope this American pair will beat D&D at 4cc, but i won't hold my hope high.

D&D's only advantage is their sbs jumps. They have a 3sal and 2A, but their 3sal is not very consistent these days, which is a shame for singles skaters(they still skate singles).

heyang

Record Breaker
I thought they were a breath of fresh air. I think this team will represent us well if their nerves hold steady. I like Rena and John, but I have yet to see him stand up during the sbs triples. Their moves don't seem particularly unique. I also like Naomi and Lefti, but they don't have enough experience together, yet.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought they were a very good young team with a bright future. They will need sbs triples to compete internationally. I also don't think their music or program did them justice here, and I think them capable of more sophisticated choreography and theme.

As for your comments re: D/D, I won't even dignify the inaccuracy and stupidity with a serious response. The uneccessary vitriol made me seriously think twice about even posting in this thread.

I happen to think it's great that there are two pairs, newly minted national champions to boot, from North America that look as if they have a chance to compete with the powerful Chinese and German skaters in the future. A few years ago this was not the case.

Getting back to C&O, they have been a work in progress and I hope the work continues to be in progress. We can't really call it a fluke. I happen not to think it was. The skate was very positive in all aspects, so just let's see what happens at 4CC. I think they should go.

Joe

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Getting back to C&O, they have been a work in progress and I hope the work continues to be in progress. We can't really call it a fluke. I happen not to think it was. The skate was very positive in all aspects, so just let's see what happens at 4CC. I think they should go.

Joe

I don't think they are going to be a fluke. Watch their throw jumps, the throws are so strong and her rideout speed is very impressive. Even if there's minor glitch, the girl can manage to glide out. The technique of their throw jumps and twist are very sound. Their body lines are also perfectly matched, much better than NNN&T in terms of height.

Their unison is also quite impressive, they definitely have potential to do all sorts of choreography, from classic piece to more modern, powerful piece. I really prefer them to S&S and D&D. S&S are innovative, but I sense they're lacking chemistry, their choice of music is quite limited; D&D are only going to do cheesefest piece.

NNN&T's advantage is sbs jumps, but I'm quite worried about their throws. They are off so often in competition, sth must wrong with their technique.

But this new pair does need a sbs triple.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

For your information: "The "much hyped" new Canadian pair champions - Dube and Davidson - have much more than pretty faces. They are very talented and though Jessica had an injury earlier in the season they are back in top form. Their program and skating is beautiful. They overtook our reigning pairs team of Marcoux and Buntin this Nationals and are now our new Canadian champions. I think you better sit back and watch them skate before you make such harsh judgements.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
They are okay. Their death spiral needs some work. She does not get low enough and it looks a little awkward. Also their moves between jumps need some refinement. I thought their timing was off a little.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
They are okay. Their death spiral needs some work. She does not get low enough and it looks a little awkward. Also their moves between jumps need some refinement. I thought their timing was off a little.

I agree with the lower body but, is it that the head proximity to the ice and the way the "hiny" sticks out as the lady goes into it the factors as judging goes - not taking into consideration the bend and axis of the man?

rain

Record Breaker
Their death spiral needs some work. She does not get low enough and it looks a little awkward.

I agree with this, unfortunately bad death spirals are the rule rather than the exception, even at the top international levels of competition these days. Astonishingly very few pairs have even a decent one, let alone a good one.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I agree with this, unfortunately bad death spirals are the rule rather than the exception, even at the top international levels of competition these days. Astonishingly very few pairs have even a decent one, let alone a good one.

There are different types of death spirals,Inside/backward or outside/forward edge etc(i still can't tell the technical details though). The reason why most of the current deal spirals look so much more awkward than in the past is because skaters choose to do difficult ones in order to rack up the points. The body position is very difficult to be lower than the relatively easier, traditional death spirals.

blue dog

Record Breaker

The worst offenders were the Russians--who ironically, invented the goshdarned move! I could never stand Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze's death spiral...