"Clarifications" to the 2007 ISU rules changes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

"Clarifications" to the 2007 ISU rules changes

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
She does the "Pearl" as part of her combination spin, doesn't she? You just can't do the same kind of spin twice (ie. the same flying sit spin, the same combination spin, etc).

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't think you understood me, and I admit to not being clear most of the time.

Hope this is better and nothing to do with changing feet from one edge to another,because it can not be done in what I am thinking.

A forward outside camel spin on the left foot come out of it with free leg going intosame spin (forward outside camel spin) using the right foot.

The only skaters I know of in recent times who did these were Kwan and Klimpkin.

I presume their base scores for the two simple camel spins would be added together not taking into account the difficulty of doing these spins. Is that correct?
If so, then I concluded that it would not be worth doing because of the difficulty in not being rewarded for additional points.

Joe.

Joe - i know that both Kwan and Klimkin did consecutive camel spins in both directions but i'm not sure they did outside edge ones - i think they were ordinary forward camel spins in both directions (and Klimkin did a triple sal from his!).

Not sure about the recent chages to the rules but before this season doing a spin in one direction followed by a spin in the other direction was a level enhancer for a combination spin - that's why there sooooooo many painful to watch pair spins this past season with skaters spinning one way, coming to a very ungraceful grinding halt and then spinning in the other direction. The only pairs who really pulled it off (IMO) were Savchenko and partner and Shen and Zhao.

Ant

Joe - i know that both Kwan and Klimkin did consecutive camel spins in both directions but i'm not sure they did outside edge ones - i think they were ordinary forward camel spins in both directions (and Klimkin did a triple sal from his!).
Ant - It's been awhile. Before taking to the ice I skated roller where the edges are much more defined. There is no such thing as an ordinary forward camel. It is either FO or FI. also the others are BO or BI. A three turn in any one of them produces another edge camel spin, e.g., FO camel 3Turn produces a BI camel. FI 3 Turn produces BO
I can see the difference in ice skating, but I think ice skaters just see forwards and backwards and not specific edges.

Not sure about the recent chages to the rules but before this season doing a spin in one direction followed by a spin in the other direction was a level enhancer for a combination spin - that's why there sooooooo many painful to watch pair spins this past season with skaters spinning one way, coming to a very ungraceful grinding halt and then spinning in the other direction. The only pairs who really pulled it off (IMO) were Savchenko and partner and Shen and Zhao.Ant
It's hard for me to discuss Pair Spins as I find most of them abominable. They loook like wrestling matches, and for me disrupt a routine. Some are ok. None are really classy. JMO.

Joe

Let's bury the F word!

I just thought of a solution to how to score a Flutz. This should satisfy everyone.

New rule.

Inside edge take-off = flip. Outside edge take-off = Lutz.

Period.

No cheating, no judging by "intentions, no wishy-washy sitting on the fence making excuses.

So if you have a long approach on a BOE, switch over to a BIS at the last second, then hurl your body up in a Lutzy-looking counterrotation -- that's a flip (inside edge take-off) with a "difficult entry."

So the proper scoring should be: 5.5 base value for the flip and +1 GOE for the difficult entry = 6.5 points for the element (compared to 5.5 for a plane old flip and 6.0 for a properly done Lutz).

To maximize points, skaters should plan 2 Lutzes and two fancy flips (formerly known as Flutzes) for a total of 25 points. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Heh heh. And then how do you score a flip/lutz-like jump that takes off from an absolute flat? ;)