NHK on youtube | Page 4 | Golden Skate

NHK on youtube

Ginevra

Spectator
Yeah, this was my impression as well. I didn't much care who placed first out of these two. Neither were really that good, or that bad. Even though Meier ended up winning the LP, I personally think I preferred Kostner by a hair. However, if neither had made the GPF I certainly wouldn't be crying.

On another note, Ando had a meltdown. Ouch.

If you really don't like their skating style,I suggest you not to write anything....I find you guys so irritating......I think everybody has the right to give personal opinion, but in this case I notice great arrogance and, maybe, envy.......Hoping Gran Prix Final would arrive soon, so that good skating and sane competition beteween athetes will bring you to don't waste your time in writing these futile words......:disagree::mad::no::no::no::no::no::no:

hongligl

Final Flight
If you really don't like their skating style,I suggest you not to write anything....I find you guys so irritating......I think everybody has the right to give personal opinion, but in this case I notice great arrogance and, maybe, envy.......Hoping Gran Prix Final would arrive soon, so that good skating and sane competition beteween athetes will bring you to don't waste your time in writing these futile words......:disagree::mad::no::no::no::no::no::no:

OK, I don't have anything better to do this minute. I feel exactly the same way rain felt. I don't see anything wrong or irratiting about her/his post. In contrast, YOUR posting irritated me a lot. As you said "everybody has the right to give personal opinion", howcome it appears up to you to decide what is "futile" or not. IMHO, rain had expressed an opinion that I think very solid. Neither of the two was great, and the placement does not make much difference, at least to a second person.

Ginevra

Spectator
Sorry but I disagree with you. Kostner is european champion, Meier is the vice-european one. I think that's not correct to call them THESE TWO just because Rain doesn't like their skating.
Plus, I don't find " However, if neither had made the GPF I certainly wouldn't be crying" a solid expression. And just because everybody is free to express personal opinion, so my opinion is that some messages here are really unfair and superfluous......somehow irritating.And I am not referring just to to Rain's message.:rolleye:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Sorry but I disagree with you. Kostner is european champion, Meier is the vice-european one.

That isnt saying much since the European womens field is incredibly weak right now. Slutskaya was the only thing holding it up for awhile after Butyrskaya left, Liashenko aged, and the other Russian women like the Ovas began to fizzle out.

Kostner showed great promise with her 5th at Worlds in 2004, and her bronze medal at Worlds (edging the great Michelle Kwan) in 2005, but she has gone backwards in a big way since then. Her short program last year at Worlds was by far her highlight since then, but everything else she has done has been forgettable, and her win her too was as well. She ended coming out ahead between a pair of very mediocre showings by the only 2 decent women in Europe now, and even that was an iffy decision to some.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
None of the ladies skated well, including Meier and Kostner. The 15 points for the win is what put Kostner in the GPF, certainly not her skating.

Kostner is a SP skater, and a reasonably good one. But it's been years since I've seen a decent FS from her, and I'm not expecting one from her in Torino (home ice is a major negative for her). But even a decent Kostner FS isn't going to cut the mustard against a pretty good FS from Kim and Asada, or a clean FS from Meissner.

Ginevra

Spectator
I have not the intention of discussing about who is better or worst, or if Americans skaters are better than European ones,but, supposing that everybody here loves figure skating, I just wanted to underline that we have to respect athletes in our discussion. Is that so difficult to understand?

Ginevra

Spectator
None of the ladies skated well, including Meier and Kostner. The 15 points for the win is what put Kostner in the GPF, certainly not her skating.

Kostner is a SP skater, and a reasonably good one. But it's been years since I've seen a decent FS from her, and I'm not expecting one from her in Torino (home ice is a major negative for her). But even a decent Kostner FS isn't going to cut the mustard against a pretty good FS from Kim and Asada, or a clean FS from Meissner.

Ok. I hope facts will diverge from your opinion and I expect to see in Turin a wonderful competiton with few falls and disasters in order to see who is really the best :yes:

Kasey

Medalist
I just wanted to underline that we have to respect athletes in our discussion. Is that so difficult to understand?

I didn't see any athletes being disrespected or bashed. What I'm finding difficult to understand is that on this, an internet discussion forum, that some people come in trying to censor the discussion of other people's OPINIONS (which are clearly stated as their opinions, and not stated as fact). If a skater was being 'bashed', I would agree with you. But in this situation, it seems that there is someone up on their high horse over a rather innocuous comment, which was the opinion of ONE poster here, which you didn't like the phrasing of. No disrespect toward either Meier or Kostner. The fact is, neither one did skate great. That fact is backed up by the scores.

TCTC84

On the Ice
I love kostner, and when she's on (which isn't too often, I must admit) she's one of the all-time best. last year, she was great in the FS at Europeans (6 beautiful triples) and this year she was great at Nelborn trophy in the FS. she's the fastest skater of all the femals, has the best edge controle and quality, great footwork, and is just so genuine and kind. It sucks that she usually lets a performance get away from her once she makes a mistake, but I'm hoping experiance will take care of this problem. I'm happy she made the GPF. There are so many skaters that wouldn't get on the podium or be considered a threat even if they went 100% clean, but if kostner goes clean, she will be in the same league as any other lady, and that's why it's always exciting when she competes. If the GPF were to truly include the top 6 ladies, in my opinion it would go as such:

Yu-Na
Mao
Kimmie
Carolina
Yukari
Rochette

I would have put Miki instead of yukari, but not after her showing at NHK. she looked out of shape and in need of more training. as it stands however (with the exception of rochette's absence) I think it'll be a very exciting GPF. Can't wait!!

rain

Record Breaker
There are so many skaters that wouldn't get on the podium or be considered a threat even if they went 100% clean, but if kostner goes clean, she will be in the same league as any other lady, and that's why it's always exciting when she competes.

I think it'll be a very exciting GPF. Can't wait!!

I agree. There are many skaters who hit a bit of a plateau where they can't skate any better (are incapable of a 3-3, say) and have to hope that others make mistakes if they are to medal. Kostner, while inconsistent, is not one of those skaters. She has the ability, if she skates well, to challenge for top spot.

I also think it will be an exciting GPF. In all of the disciplines. And while I'm a fan of Rochette, and would have been happy to see her in the final, it may be good for her to have the extra training time and really be able to come out strong and confident for the rest of the season. She still has Canadians, (presumably) Four Continents and Worlds to come. I'm hoping not making the final will make her attack. One thing in the ladies discipline — I wish I was more enthused about the programs this season. I'm not sure any of them really stands out as being fantastic choreography.

krenseby

Final Flight
Sorry but I disagree with you. Kostner is european champion, Meier is the vice-european one. I think that's not correct to call them THESE TWO just because Rain doesn't like their skating.
Plus, I don't find " However, if neither had made the GPF I certainly wouldn't be crying" a solid expression. And just because everybody is free to express personal opinion, so my opinion is that some messages here are really unfair and superfluous......somehow irritating.And I am not referring just to to Rain's message.:rolleye:

Ginevra, I think that Kostner has gorgeous footwork that's very lyrical and musical. She is a mature woman's skater who pays a lot attention to her choreography and her programs this year are worth watching even if all her jumps fail. That's more than I could say for other skaters who execute the music without any sense of style.

kikakiks

On the Ice
Ginevra, I think that Kostner has gorgeous footwork that's very lyrical and musical. She is a mature woman's skater who pays a lot attention to her choreography and her programs this year are worth watching even if all her jumps fail. That's more than I could say for other skaters who execute the music without any sense of style.

It's funny that many people put Kostner at par with Meissner in terms of interpretation... http://forum.hdldemo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18305
I thought that was a bit forced....

Anyway Yu-Na, Rochette, Kostner and Meier (when she doesn' open and close her mouth in a frantic way, as if she was a hard core ice dancer a la Barbara FusarPoli) are the only ladies who truly give "interpretation" to the music.

If I missed someone don't kill me please

Last edited:

qazwsx

Rinkside
I hope Aliona Savchenko gets some work done on her SP costume before the Grand Prix final. She had a "wardrobe malfunction" at the end of the short program. I didn't notice it at first, but my hubby sure did. It was the most interested I've ever seen him in skating. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: just saw that!!